Post should have read 'Micro' pouch instead of macro

GrammyRie
on 11/20/14 12:02 pm

Maybe now will catch someone's attention:  My daughter's RNY surgery resulted in a micro pouch.  She is 7 weeks post surgery and still unable most days to stay hydrated and can keep almost nothing down. Has any one else had the micro pouch; and if so, what kind of experience have you had? 

White Dove
on 11/20/14 10:50 pm - Warren, OH

I had a micro pouch.  I had to keep water with me 24 hours a day.  I kept it next to my bed and got up to sip during the night.  I did not try to eat solid foods, just protein shakes and things like applesauce.

I compared my old stomach to the size of a two-liter soda bottle and my new pouch to the cap on that bottle.  I only ate one or two teaspoons of soft foods at a time.  I was able to get enough nutrition from sipping on protein shakes.

By four months out, I could eat about two ounces of meat.  By two years out, I could eat a six-inch sub sandwich.

Your granddaughter needs to stop trying to eat foods that she is not ready for.  She should not be vomiting. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

GrammyRie
on 11/21/14 1:44 am

White Dove: So it's been 7 years since your surgery.  Has the weight stayed off?  Is a 6" sub still about what you can eat at one time?  According to her diet plan, she should be able to eat most soft foods.  Sometimes it's ok, other times the same amount of the same food will not stay down!  She seems to have made a little progress in the last couple days, so we're hopeful.  Thanks for your info. She has just not talked to anyone who has had the micro pouch.

White Dove
on 11/21/14 1:59 am - Warren, OH

Some days I can eat that much, other days I would have to cut it in half or thirds and save for another meal.  I had a regain at 30 months and it took me a long time to figure out how to get back to goal and stay there.  My goal is 136.  I stopped at 128 and stayed there for about a year, then started regaining at 30 months and by 33 months was back to 142. 

It just seems like we have big pouch days and little pouch days and some days cannot eat as much as other days.  I could calories, exercise, and weigh myself everyday.  If the weight goes up by even a pound, I work on getting it back off. 

I eat five or six times a day and they are very small meals.  An 80 calorie yogurt, a 90 calorie fiber one bar, a plate of sliced tomatoes with an ounce of cheese, a small burger with no bun, an apple or orange.  If I eat a "normal meal", I can finish about 1/3 and use the leftovers for two more meals.  My meals are about 100 calories and a big meal is 300 calories.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

GrammyRie
on 11/21/14 3:24 am

Thanks so much.  You have been very helpful. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 303 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 303 views