3 weeks and starting 4th week preop tomorrow..... Is something wrong with me?

HLen
on 12/7/14 2:10 pm
RNY on 07/11/14

I had all the issues you described. I just pushed through everyday. Some days I felt so sick, puking, etc, that I just wanted liquids.

Try Unjury protein chicken broth, or fruit flavored protein shakes from Syntrax Nectar. I couldn't stomach sweet thick shakes after surgery.. These helped.

Focus on liquids, maybe try smaller meals than you have been eating and add an extra in the day? I ate a lot of chili puréed, ricotta cheese with some sauce on top and refried beans, but I added plain Greek yogurt, I found the beans alone were too heavy for my pouch. Other food wa**** or miss for awhile...

I got better around 1.5 months. Hopefully your body is just having a harder time adjusting like mine was. It gets better!

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

ndcase
on 12/7/14 7:03 pm - Red Hill , PA

Aww Hun, I feel for you. I am almost 6 years out and I have this problem still. Once something, no matter how little gets stuck, it's going to derail everything. I always say I'm the fattest anorexic ever, because I throw up all the time, if I'm eating I'm throwing up. The best advice I have for you is just focus on something like soup and protein shakes. I lived off of mashpotoes for a year. God bless you. Pordon my spelling I am sleep deprived. 

Valerie G.
on 12/7/14 9:10 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

How much are you getting along the lines of fluids every day?  I ask because while the pouch alone is something to get used to, the nausea and fatigue are most commonly signs of dehydration.  64oz is your minimum goal, and that alone is a full-time job.  You won't be getting enough calories or nutrition for a long time.  That's what the supplements are about, and your body will start burning fat cells for fuel.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

sor09
on 12/8/14 1:48 pm

I hope you are feeling better today. When you wrote your were just three weeks out post op... you're not even healed yet. Everything will be gross smelling to you. If you can... this is a great time to get your young daughter interested in how meals get to the table, and help you out and even the rest of the family. You are going to be grouchy any pissed because feed does not hold the same value as it did. Part of the process is adjusting to the change.  It is going to be baby steps for some time, and rediscovering foods and tastes. You have permission to cry about too... Do what you can and get help from the family too. Just doing house work, for you, now will make you loose weight due to the lesser caloric intake you have with RNY. Everything you do expels and uses up more calories than you are eating. If you truly did the surgery for your help and wellness, this was not a mistake. WLS is for life, and to have a better and longer life, and to enjoy it. You will get energy, as long as you remember what you learned in your pre-op training classes. Have faith and take it slowly.

sor09
on 12/8/14 1:54 pm

Oops, sorry I thought you were post op... But the information still applies because you will not be feeling so well post op either. The more you are prepared the better post op life will be too. Get more information and get the family involved too. People do fear change... being positive scares people too. Meet up with people who have gone the full journey... ask questions, read and listen to the stories. Keep the faith.

Browneyedgirl33
on 12/8/14 9:11 pm

I put pre op but I am post op this is my 4th week post op.  I don't know why I put pre op.  They are running together at this point. lol

Browneyedgirl33
on 12/8/14 9:11 pm

Thanks for your kindness!!

brandito
on 12/9/14 2:01 pm

Today marks my three week post op too. I had an RNY and feel tired, emotional highs and lows, and am struggling with all the new rules. I haven't been successful yet on getting all of my vitamins, not sure about my water or protein. It gets so confusing. I think I had 52 grams of protein today but I am not measuring so I'm unsure. Most days I'm trying not to have shakes because I am over them. A few times I've had real food like chicken but eaten more than I think is normal. I don't know. What is normal any more?  I know my habits haven't changed yet and I am so afraid I'm overeating or undereating or not eating!  I am still not convinced I made the right choice but I do appreciate the 24 (or so) pound weight loss. I just thought that would be faster post op too. I have only lost 12 pounds since my surgery and I feel like I've only had 1-2 days worth of food!  I mean what I would have eaten before surgery in 1-2 days is all I feel like I've eaten in 3 weeks. When I eat I feel blah and gross and when I don't eat I feel blah and gross. And as I'm typing this the road race in my tummy continues. Man it's noisy!  Oh and have I mentioned how impossible it is to find the time and/or energy to walk an hour a day?  I'm just trying to work and take care of my family. 

Hang in there. Things can only get better!

RNY 11/18/14 5'4" HW: 255 SW: 236 CW: 190.8 GW: 125...although 140 may be more realistic...can't comprehend what's possible!

Pre-op -11.6 lbs, M1 -13.6 lbs, M2 -10 lbs, M3 -6.8 lbs, M4 -7.6 lbs, M5 -3.8, M6 -3.0, and counting!

Browneyedgirl33
on 12/10/14 6:59 am

I am sorry but I laughed the whole time I was reading what you put.  I needed the laugh so much and was very thankful that you posted.  It really encouraged me.  Yeah I feel the same way really about it all.  Sometimes I cant even remember if I took what vitamin when.  In fact after reading your post I better go take one now. lol  And tell me how you like the mushy consistency of food..... I think it to be gross that you have to chew something so much it practically melts in your mouth and tastes gross....  I feel  like I am eating baby food.  I have often contemplated on if baby food would taste better but I have yet built up the courage to go try it.  I cant even imagine eating chicken yet.  I have to be very careful because I get sick easily since surgery.  And let me tell you if you ever have dumping syndrome that stuff is no joke.... I was going to go to the ER tell them I am in labor just to get an Epideral.....

My habits have changed because they have had no choice but too... Nothing tastes good. If I eat something once I really don't want it anymore. Protein shakes should be considered a punishment.  I sware someone needs to give the body builders gold or something. Because doing all the protein they do has to be killer.

You are going to laugh but I went to the gym yesterday and did a mile very slow and I thought what the helk. Before surgery I could walk 2 miles pretty easily and now I feel like I am walking with a walker in front of me. 

And you are right about the stomach noises.  My girls are like mom what the helk is that sound.  I am like it is my stomach. And I don't know about you but I have had some major weird dreams.  Mostly involving food. TO the point I wake up in a panic to make sure I didn't sleep walk and put something in my mouth. You have to laugh to keep from crying sometimes.

robinreinhardt
on 12/10/14 7:12 am

Omg i am so sorry. You must be beside yourself. I don'k know what to say since my surgery is 12/15. I just feel really bad for you especially since you have children. I'll totally be praying for you. Keep the faith.

Robin

Most Active