I can't stop eating apple (and it doesn't fill me up)

ThistleChaser
on 12/7/14 8:58 am

Hello everyone. Pre-surgery, I had no love of apples (or any fruit). The first time I tried one post-surgery, I fell in love. Now I eat apple every day (a half to a whole apple per day, some after lunch and some after dinner). I do have to remove the peel, but that's fine with me.

I'm just about three months out, so everything fills me up really quickly... everything except apple. Is it because you crunch it down to nothing when you chew it? I'm really worried about stretching my new stomach, but it doesn't make me feel full so I guess it's okay?

I know other people report pain after eating them, but I'm fine. (And the timing of eating raw apple is per my doctor's plan, so long as I remove the peel.)

Why doesn't it fill me up at all? That's a real head-scratcher to me.

cspotrun
on 12/7/14 10:22 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I only ate apple once post surgery, and it made me pretty sick, so I can't really speak to how full it makes my pouch.  But before surgery, apples always made me hungrier!

Karen   

The Salty Hag
on 12/7/14 10:56 am, edited 12/7/14 10:59 am
RNY on 05/20/13

It seems plausible that because it mushes down to basically applesauce, it's a slider food and as such, it will not make you feel full the way dense protein will. 

Our pouches are designed to stretch out over time to a certain extent, but I don't think eating an apple will cause any harmful stretching. 

I'm only 18 months out, so hopefully a full fledged vet will come along and answer you. 

Edited for typo. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/7/14 1:14 pm - OH

Yes, some foods chew down to almost nothing but liquid so you can eat a lot of them.  Apples, watermelon, green beans...

I would just caution you that apples are awfully high in carbs, so it probably isn't a good food to be eating every day.   A medium apple has about 100 calories and 25g of carbs.  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

ThistleChaser
on 12/7/14 1:40 pm

Thanks! I did wonder about the carbs. I had checked the calories, so I was pretty okay with half of one, but that's an awful lot of carbs.  I'll cut back!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/7/14 1:20 pm - OH
CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/7/14 11:09 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I felt the same way about apples, and really, all fruit, before surgery.  I avoid it now because I am a former diabetic in remission -- and frankly, I don't believe that the carbs/sugars are something that I want to re-introduce into my eating.  That said, somehow, apples have become like an absolute treat to me.  They never give me any satiety ... I think they are definitely a slider type food.

My 9 year old son is very fond of apples.  He eats one nearly every day.  I use one of these to slice them up for him: 

apple slicer 

which makes 8 apple slices.  Sometimes I will take ONE of those slices (8 calories and about 2.5 carbs) and slice it even thinner into 4 slices.  Then, to add protein to the snack, I will take 1/4 c. of lite and fit vanilla greek yogurt (about 35 calories and 5 grams of protein) and then add yogurt

a teaspoon of powdered peanut butter (about 6 calories) and mix it together.  powdered peanut butter

This makes a delicious "dip" for my apple slices and I eat the rest -- it's yummy.  That way there is both protein and carbs in my snack.  Indeed, both my son and husband LOVE my "peanut butter dip" and often request it, too.  They've no idea that it's pretty healthy.  LOL.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

ThistleChaser
on 12/7/14 11:31 pm

I think you and everyone are right, it must be a slider food. I love your idea! I'm going to try that.  No more eating so much of it every day. (Ha, funny how my thinking changed. "So much" being a half to a whole apple per day!)

sassygirl1410
on 12/9/14 3:24 am
RNY on 02/28/13

I eat an apple every day, and have for quite a while.  It helps with the constipation issue, and if I slice it and eat it slowly with a piece of cheese, it is a good snack.  My plan lets me have healthy carbs, like in fruits and veggies.  If you add the slice of cheese-- I have a Cabot 50 calorie piece--it fills you up a lot more than just plain apple.  And, if you can eat the skin, which you will be able to do probably at some point, it fills you up even more! 

ThistleChaser
on 12/9/14 3:30 am

Yeah, I figured helping with constipation was a big plus side of it. Thanks for the comment! I think I'll try making it as part of the meal instead of my treat for after it/eating all my protein.