Maybe this question will make me feel better????

Grandmaneice
on 12/8/14 10:54 am
RNY on 03/24/14

I see you had Dr parodi, I had Dr. White.  But anyways, I am surprised you are still doing 2-3 shakes a day.  I do one a day, for breakfast.  I can get enough protein with food, like a tortilla wrap with deli turkey and low fat cheese for lunch, and what ever I make for dinner, chicken has a lot of protein.

Chilipepper
on 12/8/14 8:26 am

Honestly I am concerned about you.  You are having serios issues. You are eating under 300 calories a day. I doubt you are getting in a sufficient amount of fluids and you are eating peanut butter but not much else.  I think you should call the doctor and ask to see him.  Have a serious conversation. Maybe you need to be scoped.  You will get very ill very fast.  

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Browneyedgirl33
on 12/8/14 9:40 am

I am getting actually exactly 300 cal a day. I do the unjury protein shakes 3 times a day.  They have 21 grams of protein a shake.  SO I am getting 63 g of protein and 64 oz of water.  I don't have any problems with water or shakes.  It is eating I have a problem with.  I can eat Greek yogurt and cottage cheese but after being so sick on other things I don't even want to chance eating them right now and just stick with the shakes for now.  I am taking all my vitamins that they have asked for me to take.  I was just wondering about this because my dr was disappointed when I told him I was only getting in 300 cal. Made me feel something is wrong with me.  He said I should get 900.  There is no way I can at this moment get 900 cal in.  I wanted to see if there were others out there like me that have only been at the 300 cal mark for a while.  Now I don't feel so bad seeing the posts.  I am not in any hurry to eat mushy foods or any kind of food at this point with how sick I have been when I have had them.  I just want to make sure that I will be ok with those calories but I see a lot of people said even at four months they don't get much more then 400 so made me feel a little better.

Chilipepper
on 12/8/14 10:00 am, edited 12/8/14 10:03 am

You need to go back and read all the dramatic posts you have made over the last few weeks. You never indicated you were drinking 3 shakes a day and getting your fluids in.  All you have basically stated is how deathly ill you are and you want nothing bu****er, but you have already been hospitalized for dehydration, you also stated you were so dehydrated they couldn't find a vein. You stated all you can eat and your doctor told you to eat peanut butter. You were complaining that you have only lost 16lbs and you doctor advised you that you need to be eating more calories. You do need more than 300 calories a day. You also are upset that you can't eat sausage gravy and grits (bad foods that no WLS patient should be eating.  She will be a statistic not a success story If that is what she is eating)at 3 weeks out like your friend. I hope you are drinking fluids in addition to the water used to mix your shakes   

You need to to outline all the stories so we can all keep them straight.  

I think you should speak to your doctor.  I also think peanut butter is a terrible food to advise a new postop.  You should advise your doctor that gummys and Flinstones are not adequate suppliments for a weight loss patient. 

I truly hope you pull through this rough time but drinking your calories should only be for early postops. You must try and eat. The first time and second time or even third time may not be comfortable but you must eat. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Browneyedgirl33
on 12/8/14 11:13 am

I was readmitted to the hospital on the weekend after my surgery because I threw up so much in one day but I didn't have much liquids that day from being sick.  They checked everything and everything was fine except being dehydrated.  They did a CT scan.  Now I only get sick when I eat any kind of food.  Depends on what it is.  I can eat greek yogurt and cottage cheese.  But I don't feel like eating it lately because I basically am scared of getting sick again. I was just saying what my friend had done as far as the whole eggs and gravy... I was just trying to see in other words why I am having so much trouble with soft foods making me nauseous and sick. 

At first I could eat a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter and it didn't make me sick. SO when I went to the doctor he said to eat more peanut butter so I can get more calories in if that doesn't make me sick.  The second and third time I tried peanut butter I got very sick. He also suggested I drink more juice to get some calories in.  But juice has so much sugar in it that I have to water it down and it still makes me nauseous to drink it. 

I do drink at least two to three bottles of water outside my shake.  But I drink 12 oz of water with each shake so I count that in my water intake.

I am so confused with the vitamin issue to be honest.  On my paperwork it says to take 2 flinestone complete chewables daily and Calcium Citrate twice a day.  That is the only vitamins they advised me of.  Then when I was getting sick they told me to take Probiotic and Vitamin B complex and benefiber powder.  I told them I was taking the gummies for that and they said that was fine to take the gummies for that.  It does say on my paperwork that when I am able to eat more food I can start to take the vitamins you swallow.  But I want to wait a while on that until My stomach heals more.

I am hoping this will cease soon.  I got sick yesterday on the one tablespoon of peanut butter (I am never eating Peanut butter again...... No worries there) so I just did the three protein shakes today.

Chilipepper
on 12/8/14 11:45 am, edited 12/8/14 11:48 am

Sometimes the only way to truly diagnose an issue is with an EGD scope.  Your doctor sounds like a quack and he has caused your confusion and didn't make you aware that moving to the different levels of food intake isn't easy for some but it is necessary to get the muscles moving again and frankly it's like learning to walk again, but it is possible.

If are truly physically sick then you need to ask he for a scope. I think though you had a few rough days early on and you have developed a fear of eating feeling you will get sick again. 

I don't know what you classify as sick. If everything you eat causes vomiting and dry heaves obviously there could me something mechanically wrong. You could have a stricture or stomal stenosis. 

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?Cont entTypeID=134&ContentID=155

The best advocates for our healthcare is us.  You must learn to research and become familiar with all aspects of your new physical changes. Drinking a shake is not going to give you and issue with stricture, but eating solid foods will cause pain and discomfort.  I armed you with enough knowledge to call your doctor and say these are my symptoms and this is what may be your problem.  Also tell him that it may be necessary to go down and look around. You will get very sick very rapidly so you must get on top of this situation rather than comparing your story with others. 

I will pull my origional post op vitamin schedule or maybe someone will chime in with theirs.  

You can go to any of the Bariatric vitamin websites. Bariatric advantage or Bariatric Fusion or Celebrate or you can go to Vitaladys website and get a vitamin suppliment breakdown and get your vitamins from her.  

Have you developed a regular bathroom schedule. IE are you going #2?  Dehydration and constipation can cause intestinal issues also.  

First though, 

I would contact the doctor. 

NYMom222
on 12/8/14 9:28 am
RNY on 07/23/14

The better question is not how many calories are you eating, but how many grams of protein are you getting from those shakes, and how many ounces of fluids are you drinking a day? and are you taking your vitamins? Those three things are way more important to your health than how many calories are you taking in.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

sor09
on 12/8/14 12:38 pm

Interesting. Seems like everyone is trying to make all that food fit. I still cannot do it, been post op for almost 22 months. Been at goal weight since Summer time. I never set a goal weight, and neither did my doctor.  I got weighed and she says "your at goal weight!" (really) I just wanted to be healthy. Weight loss was a BONUS. I just wanted to be normal and tie my own shoes. Got it!

snow_white
on 12/8/14 11:42 pm, edited 12/8/14 11:42 pm
RNY on 11/11/14 with

I will throw in my 2 cents for what they are worth.  I agree if everything no matter how thin or bland makes you vomit and heve then you need checked out.  I will say that I'm near the same time out as you and I'm nauseous a ton and lots of the time what I eat says NO and it comes back up.  My Dr says protein and fluids matter most and if water is all I can keep down so be it for now.  That being said he also said one bite is better than none so at least 3 times a day I attempt to eat.  I never feel great after I eat but it often passes after 30 min or so.  The important thing as was mentioned is to keep trying you will get better.  Prayer sent your way

kwashington09
on 12/11/14 3:12 am, edited 12/11/14 3:13 am

Like i stated previously I was on all liquids for about 4 weeks i know my situation is a little different because I had a revision but when I was able to have soft foods at 4 weeks out they would not stay down so I went back to liquids another 2 weeks. My doctor did not have an issue with that most importantly was to just stay hydrated. Not staying hydrated was causing my nausea and hince the vomitting. I still struggle to keep things down at 4 months but its much better now. I had your same fear of food so I went back on liquids. I put my food in 1/4 cup and ate with my son's spoon (he is one)  and thats what I had to do to learn to eat slow and chew enough to keep food down. I also have severe acid reflux so taking Prilosec has helped as well. You will be fine make smart choices and dont worry about the calories eventually you will be able to work up to more calories.