Pouch Rules for Dummies

Mimoosmom
on 12/10/14 12:48 pm
RNY on 12/04/13

http://www.amylhwilliams.com/pouchrulesfordummies.html

I googled pouch rules, just to remind myself.  I found this article and found it really helpful.  I'm a year out and scared of becoming lax in my ways.  I do not want to regain my weight after all my hard work.  Hope y'all find this helpful as well.

Lady_bugg
on 12/10/14 5:59 pm
RNY on 11/18/14

Thank you for sharing. I think this has a lot of good tips, but also noticed that it was written in 1980. I am sure the industry has learned a lot more since that time. Is anyone familiar with a similar summary that might be more current?

Mimoosmom
on 12/10/14 11:32 pm
RNY on 12/04/13

Oh, wow!!! I didn't even notice the date.  I was just excited to see the rules all in one place.

SHMILY
on 12/11/14 6:11 am

I found this also some time back, it really helped me....

NYMom222
on 12/11/14 7:36 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Thanks for sharing that. It was a good and informative read. Even though it is old, before my surgery I read probably 100 different bariatric surgeons websites and meal plans. (I hadn't found OH yet) I had heard of the water loading, and the idea of waiting longer than a half hour after meals. The problem with that is I have trouble getting my water in then. Thanks again.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/11/14 9:11 am - OH

This is been discussed on here a couple of times. It does have some very good information, but heed the admission that the infor ation is NOT based on per reviews medical studies... It is based only on observations of patients who had the older version of RNY back in the very early years (33 years of observing PRIOR to the article being written...  it is an old article!)

1) Many "successful" RNYers eat 5 to 6 times per day. The fact that this article says that it will not work is complete nonsense. Not only does eating smaller meals prevent large blood sugar drops between meals (a problem for some), it assures that you will not get too hungry between meals (and then overeat when you DO eat), and it keeps your metabolism up throughout the day (rather than just raising it three times per day).

2) There is absolutely no science to support the water loading.  Drinking water throughout the day does give you a sense of fullness since your intestines are filled with fluid, bu****er does NOT stay in your pouch for 15 or more minutes.  It is like a funnel and the water quickly exits into the intestine (and moves relatively quickly through the intestine).  Water will not stay in the upper part of the intestine long enough to act as a barrier to food later leaving your pouch! Also, chugging water faster than it can exit the pouch will cause it to back up into the esophagus.  That isn't harmful, and doesn't hurt, but it feels very disconcerting.  

3) It isn't realistic for most people to wait 1.5 to 2 hours after a meal to drink, and there really isn't any reason to wait 2 hours.  It takes only about 30 minutes for food to exit the pouch, so you don't really gain anything by not drinking for an hour or an hour and a half AFTER the pouch is already empty.  You will just likely end up thirsty and will have trouble getting all your fluids in. (For people who eat 5-6 times a day, it would especially be difficult.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 430 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 306 views