Sleeping and thigh numbness...please help

Rimabaqi
on 12/22/14 3:50 pm

Hi...

I am just one week after surgery and i am having a problem of getting severe numbness in my thighs on the side i am sleeping at and it b usually the right side because my left side is still hurting. .so now sleeping on my stomach is not an option. ...sleeping on my side cause severe numbness. ...on my back does not cause the numbness but will eventually hurt my back....please let me know has it happen to any of u and how do u sleep..

I am sure after loosing weight it will much easier but until then how can I enjoy sleeping again. ...thanks

White Dove
on 12/22/14 8:43 pm - Warren, OH

I woke up from surgery with numbness in my left thigh.  My surgeon thinks it was from the way my legs were positioned on the table during surgery.  For me it was only my left side that was numb.  It lasted for several weeks and went away when I started applying capsaicin pepper cream to it at night.

If you have never used capsaicin cream, I will warn you that it burns the first few times you use it.  The burning has to do with a chemical reaction that brings pain to the brain.  After a day of so it just eliminates that chemical and the pain or numbness goes away.  It works well for numbness, diabetic neuropathy, and arthritis.  Start with a small amount and wa**** off if your skin is too sensitive.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Rimabaqi
on 12/23/14 4:11 pm

I kind doubt that I will ever use capsician it just I couldn't handle it...but thank you for the help

White Dove
on 12/23/14 10:55 pm - Warren, OH

I understand.  I suffered with the numbness for months, until I was willing to try anything.  It was gone after two days of the capsician.  Good Luck with finding something that helps.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/22/14 8:58 pm

IMO, You mattress may be too hard, and the weight is causing pinched nerve on the side you sleeping.  Once you lose most of the weight - it may get better or worse.  

In a meantime - getting a mattress topper soft pad - foam or memory foam type on top may help. 

I had to learn to sleep on my back.  I have back issues, and i can't sleep on my left side without pain.  Even on my comfortable, 3 layers padded bed. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Rimabaqi
on 12/23/14 4:14 pm

I can relate ...it really hurt for my back to sleep on my back....iused to sleep on my sides with no problem. ..but not now anymore. ...thank u

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/24/14 12:19 am

When I sleep on my back - I have a pillow - or a nice wedge under my knees. That way the lower back gets flat on the bed and it does not hurt.  I can't sleep on my back if I don't have the wedge or pillow (firm pillow or a roll) under my knees).

or when I sleep on my side - pillow between the legs to align the spine..I also have a pillow to hug while sleeping on my side- to help my shoulders..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ShebasMom
on 12/23/14 9:19 am
Revision on 07/05/16

Sleeping after surgery was hard for me too. I had severe GERD, so the head of my bed was elevated about 45 degrees. I mostly slept on my back or turn to my right side slightly, since my left side hurt more. I also was slow to wean myself off my pain meds, with the last 3-4 days taking one at bed time, so I could sleep.

Rimabaqi
on 12/23/14 4:18 pm

Oh my..the Gerd can really add to the problem. ..so do u think those elevated pillows will help...I was wondering if I need to buy one???

NolaLola
on 12/23/14 11:01 am

I has this post-op as well. It was on my left side. I would put a pillow under that side to help the pain. It lasted a while but just went away 6-8 weeks post op.

RNY 8-19-14 HW-356 CW 308

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 147 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views