More Iron !

browneyes65
on 12/29/14 5:34 am - IN

Taking what I was told, I have iron in Mulivitamin and take spring Valley Iron 65mg 325 Ferrous Sulfate, I take 1 before bed. My ferritin number is 33 in range 14-150. How do I increase number what else do I take ?

Frankie82
on 12/29/14 5:42 am
RNY on 08/07/14

Make sure you are taking liquid/chewable vitamins/supplements. I had low numbers on my first set of blood work post op and, at my nutritionists request, switched to chewable/liquid for everything and had my numbers go up to normal.

Iron is a tricky one. I find it makes me quite nauseous (even pre op) and did a lot of trial and error to find one that worked and that sat well with me. I take Palafer, which you have to ask the pharmacist for, and it works well. It comes in both tablet and liquid, although I will say the liquid has a funky aftertaste so have a glass of something ready as a chaser for it.

poet_kelly
on 12/29/14 6:53 am - OH

The ASMBS says we don't need liquid or chewable vitamins.  I don't take any in liquid or chewable form and my labs are currently all tood.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 12/29/14 6:55 am - OH

I'd want to know my total iron number before deciding how much to take.

I increased my ferritin by taking more iron.  I went from 75 mg carbonyl to 300 mg carbonyl (carbonyl is absorbed better than ferrous sulfate and is much less likely to cause constipation, too) and I take it with 2000 mg vitamin C.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

browneyes65
on 12/29/14 8:00 am - IN

which brand do you take, where to get best deal on it?

poet_kelly
on 12/29/14 11:28 pm - OH

I currently am using the Vitalady Tender Iron, 60 mg iron and 400 mg vitamin C in one capsule.  Ordered from vitalady.com.  I was using Sundown Perfect Iron and generic vitamin C, but with the dose I'm on, I had to take 12 of those iron pills plus two vitamin C.  Now I only have to take five capsules.

browneyes65
on 12/30/14 4:25 am - IN

do you buy for few months at a time, how much do they charge? I can't afford a lot.

poet_kelly
on 12/30/14 4:28 am - OH

I don't recall what I paid.  Look at vitalady.com and see.

nnylear
on 12/29/14 10:50 am
RNY on 06/03/14

My Iron was too high... I think it was from the unsweetened cocoa that I put in my 2 protein shakes every day.  Did you know unsweetened cocoa the good kind like Giro della or the one from Costco has 15% Iron.

Here is my protein shake recipe

1 cup of Soy Milk, 1/2 cup of nonfat Milk powder, 1 tablespoon of COCO powder and 3 packets of Stevia.  I blended with crushed ice and drank them 2 a day.  I had to modify it and I used sugar-free coffee flavors with decaf powered coffee.  

My iron was 152 no higher than 145

and my Ferritin was 628. just say it was suppose to be no higher than 150.  My supplements had only 4% iron I was getting 30% just from the coco alone.  hmmmm

I will have to see if it works going off of it. 

Heaviest 296,  Starting 286, Post-Op 255, Goal 150

browneyes65
on 12/29/14 11:15 am - IN

do all unsweetened cocoa have a lot of iron ? what is the name of the unsweetened cocoa you get at Costco? Do you know if Sam's Club carries it to. Thanks

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 465 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 440 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views