Fell off the protein shake wagon...ideas for a less-sweet variety

RubyJG
on 12/31/14 4:54 am

Folks,

I'm 5 months post op, and have done reasonably well keeping my food choices high protein/low card/high quality nutrients. However, I do miss the mark more often than not on protein macros (doc recommends 60-90g per day) without the addition of protein powder/protein supplements. 

I was doing well with Jarrow's unflavored protein powder and with ISO-Pure Dutch Chocolate protein powder. I'm fine with Jarrow's, but do you folks have any good brands of protein powder that are flavored without insane amounts of sweetness? I've tried Nectar Vanilla Bean Torte and it is also a bit too sweet for me (just to give you an idea of the level of sweetness), and I'm tired of ISO-Pure. Any other recommendations/ideas? Also, where's a great place online to find them?

"If you're going through hell, keep going."- Winston Churchill

poet_kelly
on 12/31/14 8:20 am - OH

Most are pretty sweet.

You can use half a scoop of a flavored protein powder and half a scoop of unflavored in a shake.  It will be less sweet, but the flavor won't be so strong, either.

I like adding about half a teaspoon of decaf instant coffee crystals to a vanilla shake, which tastes good and also seems to cut the sweetness.  It's good in chocolate shakes, too.

You might wanna try the chicken soup protein mix from Unjury.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NYMom222
on 12/31/14 8:32 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I agree just dilute the flavor a little by adding less powder and make up the protein count with the unflavored. I add a little instant coffee to my premier protein chocolate to make it more of a mocha..that cuts the sweetness too. I found the Jay Robb Chocolate had a milder, not overly sweet taste.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/31/14 10:24 pm

About Time. Whey brand not only is not too sweet, but also uses natural Stevia...they sell samples on their site

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Dartmouth
on 12/31/14 11:10 pm - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

I found that at about 4 months out I didn't need to supplement......if you eat stuff like tinned tuna, Greek yogurt, chicken and fish, different kinds of beans you probably will get your protein no problem.....I often throw beans into soups or stews, Greek yogurt tastes good in soups or added to tuna instead of mayo.  If I am really stuck, ( which these days is rare), I will add skim milk powder into stuff like sugar free pudding or porridge or a sugar free hot chocolate....

joan

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 297 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 342 views