4 years post op and gaining

MariaIsHappy
on 1/1/15 9:10 am

I find myself falling back to bad habits…. I'm disgusted with myself.  I've gained 50 of the 125. i lost.  

i went grocery shopping today and found myself  buying ww meals and lean cuisine.  and salad stuff.  Im not sure if this is how i should begin back on this journey.   Should i just stick to protein shakes and focus on protein only…. 

If anyone has experienced my current struggle please give me your advice and what you did to hop back on the losing track.

The Salty Hag
on 1/1/15 10:23 am
RNY on 05/20/13
On January 1, 2015 at 5:10 PM Pacific Time, MariaIsHappy wrote:

I find myself falling back to bad habits…. I'm disgusted with myself.  I've gained 50 of the 125. i lost.  

i went grocery shopping today and found myself  buying ww meals and lean cuisine.  and salad stuff.  Im not sure if this is how i should begin back on this journey.   Should i just stick to protein shakes and focus on protein only…. 

If anyone has experienced my current struggle please give me your advice and what you did to hop back on the losing track.

I have not experienced any regain, I'm still under 2 years out, but I've read many threads that say to go back to basics, like when you were first on solid foods. Protein first, measure or weigh your portions, cut out any starches and/or white processed carbs, drink plenty of liquids, and track your food. ( I'd toss in some cardio and weight training too, if you're able. ) Going back to shakes may not be neccessary, but IMO having one a day wouldn't hurt as long as you find a decent brand to use. A lot of people here like Syntrax nectar and Unjury powders. I prefer Premier RTD. ( I get them at Sam's. )

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Ladytazz
on 1/1/15 11:14 am

Are you having issues with the carbs?  Sugar, bread, pasta, crackers, etc?  The only way back on track is to cut them out entirely.  

I assume you have tried the moderation route.  I know I did many, many times.  And many, many times I found that there were some things that I just couldn't eat in moderation as hard as I tried.  I might start out good but it didn't take long before I was eating them all day, every day.

Getting off carbs isn't easy but it can be done and it does get easier the longer you stay away from them.  The first few days are the roughest.  

I don't buy into fad diets such as the 5 day pouch test but the idea of cleaning out your system by eating mainly protein isn't a bad idea.  Basically go back to your immediate post op period and eat the way you did then.

You may also find that as you avoid the carbs and focus on protein that your restriction will feel like it used to.  That is because our restriction works best when we eat denser foods.  Carbs are a bit easier to eat because they crunch down to nothing, allowing us to be able to eat much more before feeling full.

Make your goal to be satisfied, not stuffed.  Try not to feel compelled to eat everything on your plate but allow yourself to stop when you feel satisfied and not when you are stuffed.

Losing regain can be done, maybe not as easily as it seemed immediately post op but as they say, you didn't gain it all in one day and you won't lose it in one day.  But you will lose it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

SkinnyScientist
on 1/1/15 1:20 pm

What Lady Tazz said about carbs is spot on.  I have PCOS and am VERY carb sensitive.  I can halt my weight loss by eating just ONE fold over sandwich for lunch per day for a week (i.e. one piece of bread per day).  I have tested myself no less than 3 times and this is the result EVERY time.

Eat protein forward.  Salad stuff is fine as long as it is what you want and crave (PS..croutons and Bacos are not salad stuff...try real meat in your salad like steak, some feta or garganzola, some salty black olives a few cherry tomatoes on some lettuce....now I want to cook).

Go back to the portions set out by your plan.   I SHOULD be eating a cup of food at a meal now (eating slowly over 30 minutes). But I dont becasue i get full off of 1/2 cup. Sometimes, if the food is especially dense, I can get by 1/4 -1/2 cup.

Lastly, look for healthy snacks. This was hard for me as I freaking HATE carrot sticks.  I really really do. My favorite "go to snack" is red, yellow, or orange bell peppers with tzakiki or a blackbean ciliantro hummus (at whole foods).  It really satisfies the "I WANT MEXICAN NOW!!!" craving.

I also love cucumber coins (i.e. chopping fresh cuc's into round discs) with hummush or tazaki on them.

Find an exercise that you love and do it...even if it is stupid. My stupid exercise is Jung-shin which is slicing and stabbing with a wooden practice sword.  People at the wedding raved about my arms. I DID also do cable machine, and body pump (which works arms and shoulders) but JUng-shin was by far the funnest thing I could do when watching tv.  Seriously, the villian woudl come on and I would kill him numerous times per episode.

I also beat up the hero if he acted stupid.

But you get my drift...exercise and make it fun FOR YOU!!

Also..lean cuisine. Ack...that is just going to get you on blood sugar rise and crash from all their carbs.  Veggies and meat are where it is at!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

LosingSally
on 1/1/15 3:38 pm

I would clear out my kitchen pantry of all white food basically. My husband and son were so supportive, and have always gotten their junk food on away from me! Chips, candy, and most junk food is like an addiction for me.

If the things in your house are the foods that you have found fit into your program, and that you really like, fill that pantry up with them. So if you need a snack, it will be cheese cubes, or tuna, or some foods that taste good to you if that's all you have in the house.

lynnc99
on 1/1/15 6:48 pm

Been there....doing that! My RNY was July 2009. I lost 105 lbs and crept back up 35 lbs. That's 1/3 of my total loss - back on. 

I realized I was at a very critical crossroads: Lose the weight (again) (somehow). Or let the next 10...20....plus....come back. 

So I found a local dietitian who will work with me. I need the accountability of writing my food down (an app is not as effective for me). I meet with her weekly. My daily food intake looks like this:

2-3 servings protein

3 servings vegetables (not the starchy ones like corn)

2 servings starch

2 servings fruit

2 servings fat (includes nuts, olives, oil, etc.)

1 serving condiment

1 serving dairy (optional). 

2 protein shakes - these are whey based protein, mixed with water to keep calorie count at about 100 calories. I enhance the flavor with SF flavor syrups or a little instant coffee blended in with chocolate. 

1 serving caffeine if desired. One. (So I switched to a decaf diet pepsi, which in fact I like less so drink less of)

64 oz water

And 6 weeks later I have lost 12 lbs. I'm on my way.

Logging the food is critical for me. If I don't write it down, I don't lose. I round off the corners. 

Lean Cuisine type meals don't work for me - it's not enough food, it's highly processed, and most of it doesn't taste very good. 

My work schedule is tough but I know the importance of exercise and actually LIKE it when I get to go - my favorites are an old fashioned aerobics class (think sweating plus lunges and squats), water aerobics, or jogging and toning exercises in the pool. 

The answer is NOT a fad diet like 5DPT or all shakes. We have tried that road a million times and we know full well it doesn't work. 

And part of the answer - at least part - is realizing the deep shame that comes with regain. I am thinking a lot about this these days. We took a drastic step. We had surgery. We know the joy of success. We know the rules. We walked through the doors of a hospital and agreed to follow the rules set forth by a surgeon. People congratulated us. We know the thrill of jeans that zip right out of the dryer. We said "never again" - but here we are. 

Personally I have tossed away the euphemisms that go with this problem. I'm not "struggling with regain." I was just shy of 200 lbs. and I don't like it. I don't need to "get back on track." I needed a kick in the ass or I would be back into morbidly obese territory within the year. 

And another thing - a lot of those who gain weight back disappear from the forum and support groups. I personally keep up with close to 100 post ops via Facebook, support group, and various other avenues. Those who were my role models, whose surgery was about a year or so ahead of mine, have often regained significant weight. And they have left the OH boards in droves. I chose to come back and participate again. So did you. It's the right thing and it will help a lot to get tuned back in. 

Please keep in touch!

MariaIsHappy
on 1/1/15 8:30 pm

Thank you all for replying back.  Its amazing that i knew that's what i needed to do is go back to basics.  Protein First, Logging Food, Weighing and Measuring and bad bad carbs

I don't know what pushes me to over eat or attack a bag a chips, cookies, candy etc.  I'm a very happy person, beautiful family, amazing husband, no crazy childhood traumas….. I'm leaning towards boredom when i sit in front of the boob tube, but that's for snacking.  I also over eat at meal time.   I'm hoping as i jump back on the wagon that weighing & logging will help me with this.

i also need to get moving again.   stretching, walking…. just feeling alive again.  I miss that feeling

and yes I need to come back on to this website and read everyones journey. I so love reading success stories and skimming through pictures and also knowing that i am human and that i'm not the only one who struggles with challenges. 

lynnc99 - I am also on Facebook and would love to find a support group can you send me a message with some or your user name and i'll friend you for a little extra support.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/2/15 2:29 pm - OH

Most people find that they are better off not buying things like lean cuisine meals where there's always some kind of rice or pasta. If you must buy them, eat the protein and vegetables out of them but not the rice/pasta. 

You can go back to protein shakes if that's the only way you can control how much protein you get in and help you limit the carbs, but it's not really going to serve you very well in the long run. All that teaches you as to how to go back to dieting, which most of us know how to do and which most of the snow doesn't work. What you need to do is learn is how to eat real food and still stick to the post-op eating guidelines.

It's easier to control what you eat if you eat simple foods rather than foods that are combined in casseroles (which often have rice/noodles and fat laden things like cheese or cream.  You know, for example, exactly how many calories there are in a piece of grilled chicken and a swerving of broccoli, whereas you don't know how much is in a broccoli chicken casserole. Fresh foods are always going to be a better option than processed foods that are high in hidden sugra, fat, and chemicals. 

Your best bet is to go back to eating the way you ate when you were about six months out: protein first at every meal, vegetables after your protein, limited fruits, no "white" carbs (sugar, flour, rice, etc.) , and only snacks that are protein-heavy (e.g., cheese, yogurt, nuts). Focus on dense proteins that will keep you feeling full the longest. If you have started drinking with meals again, stop that immediately. That is what I do when I need to drop a little bit of regain, and I have never read of anyone who did that consistently and did NOT lose weight.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jennifer2983
on 1/3/15 10:58 am

I really appreciate this post and all the replies. I am struggling to get back on track myself. I know I need to get back to basics and stay away from processed/convenience foods and breads. These kind of posts are so motivating. 😊

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 438 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 328 views