What is your opinion, Iron

browneyes65
on 1/6/15 9:06 am - IN

My Nutrition sent me my Labs with her opinion on Iron. It says what I need to do to change my iron, says take 2 instead of one daily which I was taking Spring Valley 65mg 325mg Ferrous Sulfate. Just wondering if I should give that a chance to see if it helps or change to different iron?  Do you think increasing the iron I was taking will make a difference?  What do you think about Vitron C ? Also for my Vit D3 I was taking 1- 50,000 D3 weekly my lab number was 51, should I take 2 weekly to get up will be checked in 10 weeks? I appreciate every ones opinion.

poet_kelly
on 1/6/15 9:24 am - OH

Increasing the amount of elemental iron you take should help, yes.  Personally, i would use carbonyl rather than ferrous sulfate because not only is it absorbed better, but I like to be able to poop.  If you don't mind being constipated, then I'd go ahead and take more ferrous sulfate.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

browneyes65
on 1/6/15 10:10 am - IN

I want to try the Carbonyl iron but how many to take a day > The nutritionist said 4, what do you think, she does not know how many I should take? I bought some 1000 mg of Vit C.

poet_kelly
on 1/6/15 10:17 am - OH

Well, you were taking 65 mg elemental iron.  She is recommending, what, 100 mg?  If you use the Sundown Perfect Iron, that is.  You could start there.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

queenbmamafranks
on 1/6/15 10:41 am
RNY on 12/19/13

I'm having a hard time finding the Sundown perfect iron. Where do you find yours? Thanks

poet_kelly
on 1/6/15 10:45 am - OH

I don't use it anymore, I now use Vitalady Tender Iron.  but I used to get the Sundown at Meijer or order from drugstore.com when they had good sales.

queenbmamafranks
on 1/7/15 12:31 am
RNY on 12/19/13

I used to buy it at meijer but they no longer carry it in my store. After looking all over town I found it at Marsh grocery store last night. I'll have to check out the website you suggested. Thanks!

browneyes65
on 1/6/15 12:47 pm - IN

I was the one that said I hear Carbonyl Iron absorbs better and she said I should take 4 a day, does it matter? I was not sure how many I can take at once or take different times. Do you think with the other iron I was taking and my number was low it was because not taking enough or not absorbing ?

poet_kelly
on 1/6/15 12:49 pm - OH

You can take a ton at once.  I was taking 12 at a time for a while, before I switched brands so I didn't have to take as many pills.

Your iron is probably low due to not taking enough AND not absorbing it well.

browneyes65
on 1/6/15 1:30 pm - IN

Do you think 4 is enough to get it up? that will be 100mg or do 6 how much Vit C would I take with 4 or 6 ?

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 303 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 303 views