AT GOAL...and having mixed emotions

Emiepie
on 1/23/15 12:17 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

So had my weekly weigh in tonight and I have hit my goal weight!! I'm totally confused because I wasn't over the moon about it..... I am starting to worry about hitting my 6 month mark and having to up calories and such (I have my follow up on 2/12 but was told at my 3 month appt that we will need to discuss how to increase calories). I am grateful that I have lost just over 100 pounds since my surgery but just don't see that in the mirror-not sure if anyone else has felt/feels that way. I also see a ton of saggy skin but am thankful to feel so much better every single day. I think I sound crazy! I am looking forward to meeting up with my monthly support group this coming week to talk some of these emotions out. 

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Mybratboys3
on 1/23/15 12:26 pm

the fact that you've lost 100 pounds plus in 5 1/2 months is amazing. Congrats, but I know what you mean about not being too excited. I'm only 5 weeks out and I've lost 40 but each time I reach my "short term" goal I'm like MEH... who cares... IDK how I'll fell when I hit my final goal. Is having your "saggy skin" removed an option? I'm hoping I don't have too much, but I'm afraid I will LOL  Celebrate your victory !!! Buy yourself a little something :)

Emiepie
on 1/23/15 12:43 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

I haven't thought too much about having skin removed, I am hoping over time it tightens up a bit. Thank you for the support and encouragement! I may try to get some new jeans this weekend :)

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

angel91e
on 1/23/15 12:37 pm
RNY on 01/15/14

I hit my surgeons goal pretty quickly too and I didn't have the level of excitement I expected to either. I think it takes awhile for our brains to catch up with the idea of how much smaller our bodies actually are. I still feel like a big girl a lot of the time. I actually often absentmindedly walk to the plus size section of the store when looking for clothes then gotta go oh yeah right duh I'm not that big anymore. 

But if you really stop and think about it how cool is it that you lost more than a hundred pounds? That's such an amazing accomplishment. You put the time and the work in and you got to that goal so maybe now is a good time to pamper yourself a little. 

You did an incredible job and are one more inspiring success story so don't forget to bask in the glow of success along the way.

Angel

HW/217 1st apt/202 SW/191 CW/115

1st goal:140 @9months

2nd goal:130 @11months

3rd goal:115 @16months  

Emiepie
on 1/23/15 12:46 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

I am so glad I'm not the only one who still walks through the plus size area to shop! I think it makes total sense that our brains need to catch up. Thank you for your compliments, encouragement and support. May try to shop for some new jeans this weekend :)

selhard
on 1/23/15 1:32 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

A few months post-op, my DH admitted he kinda missed the "old me."  I was surprised asking him how that could be?!  He said,  "I miss what became normal."  The adjustment period IS crazy with mixed emotions all over the place and just maybe a little bit of missing what became normal?  With time, the new normal should feel less confusing.  Congrats on hitting goal weight and I think you are wise to attend support group, too.

Emiepie
on 1/23/15 9:51 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

Thanks for the reply, my husband is supportive and the only thing he has really mentioned is that sometimes he isn't able to find me if we split up in a store to shop, used to looking for the old me. 

White Dove
on 1/23/15 6:30 pm - Warren, OH

My surgeon never increases calories.  Once we reach goal weight, then we start working on "cushion weight loss".  He recommends going 10, 20 or even 30 pounds under goal.   That might make you look "too skinny", but I was very grateful a few years out when malabsorption completely ended for me and I quickly gained twelve pounds in four months. 

That was surprising, but would have really been hard if I had been at goal when it happened.  If you stay on your food plan, your weight loss will stop naturally.  Most likely it will stay at that weight for about a year.  That will happen with very little effort on your part. 

Following surgery, I spent an hour a day exercising.  I did weight machines, water aerobics, treadmill or elliptical, but was at the gym six days a week and on the treadmill at home if not at the gym.  My new muscles filled out the excess skin nicely.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Emiepie
on 1/23/15 9:54 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

Yeah, I am thinking another 10-15 would be good. I get about 650 cals right now and hit the gym for cardio 3 days a week and a stationary stepper at home the other days, I think it might be time to add in some weights now :) thanks for your reply.

carimiller9173
on 1/23/15 8:19 pm - Wilmington, DE

You've done something amazing.... enjoy it, bask in it.  I guess we all feel differently about losing the weight.  Were you excited over mini goals you met??  I personally think you're pretty awesome myself... Congratulations.  

Cari

Pre-op weight 342.5; Surgery 320.7

M 1-10.5

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 245 views