Everything makes me feel sick :(

Tina912
on 3/23/15 6:12 am

I am 5 weeks post op and it seems that everything I eat, with the exception of yogurt, beans and sometimes eggs, makes me feel sick.  Even just the thought of food makes me feel sick.  I'm at the point where I do not want to try eating anything anymore so I don't get sick!  I have slowed my eating down, I make sure I am chewing my food really good, to applesauce consistency, but I just can't seem to not get sick!  Has anyone else had this problem and does it pass?  I am even having a hard time drinking my protein shakes.  I don't know what to do, and I do plan on asking my doctor at my next appointment in a week.  Thank you!

Kathy S.
on 3/23/15 6:28 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Tina,

This is normal and happened to me.  My surgeon said it had to due with the anesthesia and can last up to 3 months.  Everything made me sick and the smells, OMGosh the smells would kill me.  My son cooking pasta would send me over the edge. The only thing I could get down was double protein milk.  

Give your surgeon's office a call, they may have some suggestions but again I think you just have to ride it out  Keep us posted on how you are doing!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Tina912
on 3/23/15 11:32 am

3 months?  Ok, I did know that...and yes certain smells too I can't tolerate!  Thank you for the suggestions and reply, I appreciate it!  And I will! :)

White Dove
on 3/23/15 6:31 am - Warren, OH

It could also be a stricture and you do need to talk with your surgeon.  Being sick is NOT normal.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Tina912
on 3/23/15 11:29 am

Yes, I will, thank you!  I haven't vomited up any food, it's just mostly (sorry to be gross) foamy stuff. 

JAMStribe
on 3/23/15 6:48 am

I had the equivalent of morning sickness for about 8 weeks after surgery. I complained to anyone who would listen and the only answer I got was when you lose fat cells at a fast rate  they release hormones and that is what is making you sick.  I only vomited once when I ate too fast. My MD would not even give me meds just in case they could mask something really seriously wrong.  I feel for you!!!!! Talk to your Dr. to make sure it is nothing serious and know that this too will pass.  

I am now 9 months out and I do not ever try new things unless I am at home. 

Tina912
on 3/23/15 11:30 am

Thank you!  I am hoping it's just something that will pass, but I am for sure talking to the doctor about it! 

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/23/15 6:55 am

It happened to me also. It lasted a while..and i ended up with GB issue (pain, inflammation) and GB removal surgery...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Tina912
on 3/23/15 11:29 am

Yikes...ok well I am going to definitely ask the doctor about it!  Thank you for your reply!

rocky513
on 3/23/15 11:45 am - WI

Could you be lactose intolerant?  I know I was really nauseated until I figured out that the protein I was drinking was not lactose free.  I changed protein powder to a whey isolate (99% lactose free) and mixed it with almond milk.  My nausea and diarrhea went away immediately.  I can eat Greek yogurt and cheese, but milk makes me very stomach sick.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 294 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 288 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 147 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?