Question for anyone who has had total knee replacement(s)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/14/15 8:55 am, edited 4/14/15 8:56 am - OH

I had my worst knee done first (just now 2 years ago), and then had my other knee done 9 months later (so it has been over a year even for that one).

On the most recently replaced knee, I have a spot just below the knee on the front outside "corner" that was somewhat numb for a while (4 or 5 months) but then became very tender and has stayed tender ever since. 

The tenderness I can live with, but I have had increasing pain in that spot over the past few weeks. Occasionally it feels stiff, but most of the time it doesn't. At first it was very sporadic and icing it helped quite a bit, but now it is almost constant, hurts quite a bit walking and going up and down the stairs, and aches when I lay in bed or use that leg to move around in bed.  Icing it isn't helping very much. (A hot bath actually helps it as much as the ice, but it, too, is very temporary.)

I already have an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon to have him check it, but the earliest he can get me in is the 29th, so I am just wondering if anyone has had anything similar or has any suggestions. 

I have tried ice, heat, Tylenol (useless), and massage. I thought I was going to come out of my skin when the MT tried working on it... I had to make him stop.

Nothing but Tramadol seems to help and I am down to my last 2 "emergency" ones.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MickeyDee
on 4/14/15 9:54 am
On April 14, 2015 at 3:55 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl, The PhD Version wrote:

I had my worst knee done first (just now 2 years ago), and then had my other knee done 9 months later (so it has been over a year even for that one).

On the most recently replaced knee, I have a spot just below the knee on the front outside "corner" that was somewhat numb for a while (4 or 5 months) but then became very tender and has stayed tender ever since. 

The tenderness I can live with, but I have had increasing pain in that spot over the past few weeks. Occasionally it feels stiff, but most of the time it doesn't. At first it was very sporadic and icing it helped quite a bit, but now it is almost constant, hurts quite a bit walking and going up and down the stairs, and aches when I lay in bed or use that leg to move around in bed.  Icing it isn't helping very much. (A hot bath actually helps it as much as the ice, but it, too, is very temporary.)

I already have an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon to have him check it, but the earliest he can get me in is the 29th, so I am just wondering if anyone has had anything similar or has any suggestions. 

I have tried ice, heat, Tylenol (useless), and massage. I thought I was going to come out of my skin when the MT tried working on it... I had to make him stop.

Nothing but Tramadol seems to help and I am down to my last 2 "emergency" ones.

Lora

Hey, Lora, I also had tkr on both knees, about 3 mos. apart.  I also have found the tender spot on the first knee.  I found it seems to resolve somewhat when I do my gentle knee exercises, as if the muscle is (perhaps) shielding the appliance.

I also use Hydrocodone when the pain gets to a very uncomfortable point.  I used 15 mg when I first had surgery, and it has gotten down to the point that using 10 mg 2X for a day, very rarely, can take care of the pain until the episode passes.  Maybe your doctor would be amenable to a limited prescription for that.

I hope you get some relief soon.

SkinnyScientist
on 4/14/15 10:35 am

My Mom is going through this right now. I cant offer any help, but you arent alone and I am keenly watching responses.

I am so sorry for your pain Lora!  

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/14/15 8:48 pm

I use acupuncture for any localised pain like that.  That worked best for me for years. 

Acupuncture with tens...finding a really good therapist is a key. Hope you find something that works...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kathyjs
on 4/15/15 12:06 am

Had both replaced also and I know that spot!!! I used tramadol, I will tell you it did finally go away, sorry you hurt

ruby8157
on 4/15/15 12:13 am

Hi I had first knee done Feb 2013 and the second May 2013. I too know that spot you are talking about. The outside of both knees are still numb and I just figured it would always be that way but since I've lost weight (122lbs) the "spot" hurts more than it did when I was fat! I use a topical THC cream that my daughter sends me from Colorado and it works great. If you find something out from your ortho let me know - meanwhile I hope you can get some relief Lora.

Renee

EP1958
on 4/15/15 4:38 am

I had my RNY on 9/8/14 and my first knee replacement on 10/15.  That knee is fine. On 12/8/14 I had my other knee replaced and I have pain in the same spot that you described. My surgeon said that I have a torn muscle that must heal on its own.  It is tough since we can only take Tylenol as opposed to nsaids. My surgeon gave me a new topical nsaid called Pennsaid that may help you.  Good luck.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views