6 week stall got me off track

carimiller9173
on 4/22/15 2:58 am - Wilmington, DE

Good afternoon.  I'm 12 weeks out.  Hit a stall weeks 5-10 and finally broke through it week 11, but I only lost 1lb when it broke.  Dr. figures I should be losing about 2lbs a week since I am a revision patient.  I've lost 18.5 lbs since surgery.  I'm getting all my fluids and all my protein.  Anything else I could be doing.  I am having a very hard time with any vigorous exercise since my L5 is bulging and has been bothering me a lot lately.  I do: leg lifts at work, walk as much as I can, arm exercises.  squats.... just about anything I can that doesn't bother my back.  I guess I'm just so darn nervous that since I am a revision patient that this is not going to work for me. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cari

Pre-op weight 342.5; Surgery 320.7

M 1-10.5

Ocalasam
on 4/22/15 3:02 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Need more information:  What does your daily food log look like???

carimiller9173
on 4/22/15 3:41 am - Wilmington, DE

Breakfast: scrambelled egg, 1/4c of steamed potatoes  745

snack:  premier protein shake  815

dannon light and fit greek non fat yogurt 945

lunch:  2oz protein, 1/4c fruit (depends on whats in the house)  1145

snack:  1oz rf cheese, dannon light and fit yogurt   145

dinner: 2oz protein, 1/4c veggies, sometimes 1/8 of a starch 530

M 1-10.5

rocky513
on 4/22/15 5:11 am - WI

I would ditch the starchy carbs like potatoes and fruit.  You would be better off eating two scrambled eggs and no potatoes.  The potatoes are not nutrient dense.  You are getting fruit in two yogurts a day already, so adding additional fruit will slow your weight loss.  Remember there are carbs in the yogurt from the sugars in dairy too.  It seems like you are a little carb heavy.

I am a revision too.  I was at goal in 9 months.  I ate protein and non-starchy veggies with 1 serving of strawberries ( that's 4 berries) daily until I reached my goal weight.  You can do this!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

chulbert
on 4/22/15 5:17 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Carbs do not inherently slow weight loss.  Calories in, calories out.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/22/15 7:00 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On April 22, 2015 at 12:11 PM Pacific Time, rocky513 wrote:

I would ditch the starchy carbs like potatoes and fruit.  You would be better off eating two scrambled eggs and no potatoes.  The potatoes are not nutrient dense.  You are getting fruit in two yogurts a day already, so adding additional fruit will slow your weight loss.  Remember there are carbs in the yogurt from the sugars in dairy too.  It seems like you are a little carb heavy.

I am a revision too.  I was at goal in 9 months.  I ate protein and non-starchy veggies with 1 serving of strawberries ( that's 4 berries) daily until I reached my goal weight.  You can do this!

I agree completely with you.  I would also ditch the carbs -- my weight loss slows despite never having gone over 850 calories since surgery -- when I consume this level of carbs.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

chulbert
on 4/22/15 5:17 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Honestly this looks pretty good.  So good it makes it a little difficult believe you could have an honest-to-goodness stall for so long.  Are you absolutely positive this is what you eat like every single day?

carimiller9173
on 4/22/15 6:38 am - Wilmington, DE

Yes.

M 1-10.5

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/22/15 8:44 am, edited 4/22/15 1:01 pm

If you were losing weight, or you were younger, or very active - I would say - go and eat as you are eating...

But you do have issues with losing... you body is used to burning carbs and even on low calorie diet - if your body has a lot insulin (due to carbs) - it would slow your metabolism and you will be a very slow loser. 

You can listen to young people - who run and jump, who can eat almost anything , and as long as they don't eat too much - they will lose or maintain.

Or you can listen to some of us - who "been there- done that" (like Rocky, Me) and trust us that eating too many carbs and not eating enough proteins or fats may really slow down your weight loss. Or stop it all together.   

I am 7 years post op.  I am over 50... My body reacts to carbs like crazy.  Even on a low calorie diet - 1000 cal or less does not work for me, if I eat too many carbs.  And diet high in carbs makes me hungry for carbs...

At our age, with back problem- most of us - we move slower, try to save the "need to move effort"...I know I do... I know I can't compare myself with a guy...(my BF dropped 20 lbs just because he stopped eating waffles for breakfast and ate eggs and cheese...) I need to be very careful what and how much I eat. 

if you are eating 500 calories - but eating so many carbs -it means you are not eating enough proteins or non starchy veggies (cooked broccoli, cauliflower, spinach,  etc etc)

This is not your first WLS.. and "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" is not very wise... don't you think? ..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

EP1958
on 4/22/15 3:03 am

Hang in there.. I have had two serious stalls. I lost 100 pounds in 100 days but it stopped for nearly 3 months.. Our bodies have to adjust and reset.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views