Megestrol

pghgirl
on 5/8/15 9:01 am

Have any of you ladies taken Megestrol to stop vaginal bleeding?  I'm Anemic due to heavy periods and the gynecologist prescribed me Megestrol to stop my bleeding but I looked it up and it's used to treat cancer and it never mentioned anything about controlling bleeding. I don't know if I should take it or not. What was your experience?

HW:325, SW:281, CW:250

Racewalker48
on 5/8/15 9:47 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I have used birth control pills to control bleeding, but not Megestrol.  You are correct that this drug is used to treat certain types of cancers.  It is also used to increase appetite in pts with HIV/AIDS and to treat dysfunctional uterine bleeding.  Your condition is not listed as it is not an approved indication per se.   It has been studied in clinical trials for abnormal uterine bleeding.  Megestrol contains an medication similar to what is used in birth control pills, which are also used to control abnormal uterine bleeding.  I would suggest talking to your OB/GYN and pharmacist, who can give you more information since they are more familiar with your medical condition. 

unrulyjulie
on 5/12/15 11:44 am
RNY on 09/29/14

Also used as an appetite stimulant.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 471 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 429 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 362 views
What's on your Monday Menu?