Off work??

Lomamom
on 5/30/15 11:06 pm - Alta Loma, CA

How long did you all take off work?? How long till you felt normal again?

MScott01
on 5/31/15 4:13 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 05/21/14

I went back after two weeks, I have a desk job, but I will say it was probably too soon. As far as feeling "normal" again? You're having major surgery and changing your lifestyle forever so your normal is going to be redefined. You will make small gains toward feeling better everyday and will be dropping weight and sizes. Your body and mind will need some time to adjust so give yourself that time. It's a journey so plan for it, wrap your mind around it and enjoy the ride.  

"Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at the moment" unknown

Susanb2117
on 5/31/15 4:25 am

I have a desk job and was going to go back to work at 2 weeks but it was just too soon, not pain or anything like that, just fatigue and also I wanted to really be in the swing of things, on a good schedule, feeling good.  I took an extra week off and went back at 3 weeks and I felt great.  I think everyone is different so don't box yourself in to going back too early if you don't have to.  I just told my employer I was going to try to come back at 2 weeks but might need more time, they were understanding. I hope you have the same option!  Good luck.

SkinnyScientist
on 5/31/15 8:51 am

Back after 2 weeks off.  I felt physically normal within 6 days.  Howvever, I wasnt supposed to lift anything for 2 weeks and getting to work requires jumping on and off trains. The platform at one station is quite low and I frequently use the handrail to PULL myself up into the train.

So physically, I felt ok to work. Mentally also ok to work after a week too.

But emotionally, I needed the extra week to be able to "handle" things. Specifically, I was on broth/liquids.  I DONT think I could have been at work and emotionally handled, drinking shakes and broth, and SMELLING the smells of fried chicken, panera bread, and mashed potatoes (yes I really can smell mashed potatoes..it has been that long since I have had them and I really really really really love them. I am like a potato hound!) eminating from the offices around me for an entire 3 weeks. 

Having 2 weeks by myself to emotionally get my head "screwed on straight" permitted me to be strong in that third wee****il I was cleared for purees. I had seen huge losses that first two weeks, so I was really motivated to "hang on" tightly on week 3 when real food was all around me.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Racewalker48
on 5/31/15 9:17 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I went back to work after 2 weeks, and travelled shortly after that.  It really took me about a month and a half to feel normal again, but of course that will vary from person to person.  I felt normal after I started to eat solid foods again. 

Poodlemac
on 5/31/15 9:54 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I went back to a pretty physical job at 2 weeks. I think getting back to my routine really helped me to feel myself again. I took a couple of breaks to sit a few minutes but really believe being active was key. 

cpower100
on 5/31/15 2:40 pm

I am three weeks post op tomorrow and I have not gone back yet.  I work with individuals with a co diagnosis of developmental disability and mental health issues so my job involves frequent physical restraints on adults and the need to be able to move fast.  I felt good by two weeks out and feel that I could have gone back to a desk job at that point.  At 3 wks out I am still feeling pretty restricted as to what I can lift and that is the only thing holding me back from returning to work now.  

I will say though that post surgery I am still feeling a bit of brain mush.  I'm not sure if it is from the lack of calories or what but I am glad I don't have to be responsible for anything major right now.

annieliv
on 5/31/15 8:08 am, edited 5/31/15 8:10 am - Toronto, Canada

I went back to my desk job after 2 weeks.  I take the bus & subway to work and have to wake up at 5am and am out of the house for 12 hours a day.  I was fast asleep every night before 9pm.  Getting back to work and having to organize and plan my food/water/vitamins was good for me.  I am now almost 6 weeks out, and I still go to bed earlier than I used to but I need it and it is my new normal. I've only just been able to sleep on my side for a few nights.

We have no children and my husband has been looking after his own meals and our household chores.  I have no idea how I would've coped if I had to look after anyone else.

All I know is that it is worth it.  All the best to you.

HW: 345 SW: 315 GW: 180 RNY 21/Apr/15

Doingrightin2015
on 5/31/15 4:00 pm
RNY on 03/10/15

I had my surgery on a Tuesday, came home on Wed and was pretty sleepy and tired the rest of that week. Started staying up longer and moving and doing more the next week. Went back to work that following week. (total 9 works days off) With that said I work most of the time a desk job from home and then travel within the state 1-2 days a week. My first week back I did stay in and work from a desk job from home. Was not bad, gave me time to catch up on all that built up while I was out. Then week 4 I was back on the road again also!

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

killinmesmalls77
on 5/31/15 4:36 pm - MN
RNY on 05/07/15

I have a desk job and was able to start working from home at 10 days post-op. I worked from home for a week and then went back into the office the next week. 

I am four weeks post op and the hardest part that I am having is a pain in my right side that goes all the way into my back. I frequently have to stand up and stretch or lean back in my chair to try to stretch out. Other than that, I don't have any other issues.  I also have this pain riding in cars and have to lean the seat way back to try to stay comfortable.  At four weeks out, I definitely do not feel "normal" yet. Hoping that "normal" comes to me soon. 

HW: 276 SW: 254.1 GW: 125 CW: 154.5

Most Active