Dreading mealtime

Amy H.
on 6/25/15 8:21 am - Raleigh, NC
RNY on 06/08/15

So recently I have not been looking forward to meals. I have such an up and down response to them I am never sure whats going to happen. This morning I tried a little tuna salad (very minced) and within 10 mins I felt yucky and within 20 I was so nauseous and guess I was having a dumping episode. From tuna!!???? WTH

I seem to have episodes from potatoes (too many carbs), but not from sweets. How long does it usually take for an episode to show up? I pretty much have upset tummy or aches after eating just about everything. I saw the dr tues and was told this is probably just "growing pains" and I will get use to it or it will go away. Is this normal?? My pouch looked great on the flouro. Am I just testing it too much, eating too much, what?? I need help.... please! 

Amy

banded 12/2006, slip revision 7/2013, revision to rny 6/8/2015

ladygodiva1228
on 6/25/15 8:36 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On June 25, 2015 at 8:21 AM Pacific Time, Amy H. wrote:

So recently I have not been looking forward to meals. I have such an up and down response to them I am never sure whats going to happen. This morning I tried a little tuna salad (very minced) and within 10 mins I felt yucky and within 20 I was so nauseous and guess I was having a dumping episode. From tuna!!???? WTH

I seem to have episodes from potatoes (too many carbs), but not from sweets. How long does it usually take for an episode to show up? I pretty much have upset tummy or aches after eating just about everything. I saw the dr tues and was told this is probably just "growing pains" and I will get use to it or it will go away. Is this normal?? My pouch looked great on the flouro. Am I just testing it too much, eating too much, what?? I need help.... please! 

Not dumping, but sounds like the tuna and potatoes are not agreeing with you. 

I am surprised at 2 1/2 weeks out you are eating tuna salad and potatoes. 

I was on liquids still with the protein shakes being main source of protein.  Even though they were on my plan at 4 weeks I still have not eaten potatoes just carbs no protein not worth it to me.

Are you measuring what you eat?  What does your doctor's plan say?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

NHPOD9
on 6/25/15 9:16 am

You may be advancing your diet too quickly. It took me forever to advance stages as everything made me feel sick. My practice recommended going back to liquids for 24 hours anytime I vomited to allow my pouch time to recover. You may need to do the same or at least stick to soft/puréed for awhile. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

sue P.
on 6/25/15 9:41 am
RNY on 05/05/15

Hello!  I surgery date was 5/5/15. So I am still new but can't eat tuna. I loved tuna before sugery but when I try it I get nausous and don't feel well. I am realizing my taste buds are different now. Good luck!

lynnc99
on 6/25/15 11:00 am

Yes, it sounds like you are moving pretty fast - or at least faster than your body wants to go. Back it down a bit, try one new food at a time, and stick with just the things that agree with you. 

Dumping typically comes from sugar, but I have had similar reactions to other types of carbs (cereal and milk being a memorable case....)

You won't have to "get used to" pain and these kinds of episodes after meals. Remember that you are eating for healing - watch the amounts carefully, and be very gentle with your body. 

Best wishes!

emelar
on 6/25/15 11:02 am - TX

It doesn't matter what your plan says, if you're getting consistently sick with solids, then you need to go back to liquids or very liquidy purees.  Your stomach isn't ready to advance, no matter how badly you want to.

You are NOT dumping on carbs and, at less than a month out, how have you tested the waters on sweets?

Tracy D.
on 6/25/15 4:05 am, edited 6/25/15 4:50 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I think you're testing it too much.  I have the sleeve and I was able to advance my diet quickly.  But there's no way in hell I could have managed tuna at 2 weeks out - much, much too dry and dense.  Dial it back and try softer, mushier foods. 

At just 2-1/2 weeks out, how do you know that you don't dump from sweets???  That would seem to indicate that as a brand new post-op, that you've already tried them.  Please, please tell me that's not true!!!

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

yvillegger55
on 6/25/15 1:35 pm

Seem to me yes to fast I am  at 6 months and potatoes and sweets are out of the question for long long time maybe forever.I have not dumped at all.

Villegger55

Amy H.
on 6/25/15 11:23 am - Raleigh, NC
RNY on 06/08/15

Thank you all for your help. I was thinking it was going to fast. I am eating the things allowed at this point in my stages. I was told very soft tuna and mashed potatoes were ok on week 3. I think I am going to go back to the softer stuff as my tummy just might not be ready. 

I did make the statement confusing. I am not on sweets, but have had things like sauces that are not sugar free so I was calling them "sweets". My stomach doesn't mind those, like spaghetti sauce on my ricotta or a touch of BBQ sauce. I was afraid when trying them that there was going to be too many added sugars but my stomach doens't mind them... just things I didn't think would bother it.

This is so different from the band and hard to adjust. I have been through 2 band recoveries and not had the same issues. New learning curve for sure, which I expected but just new.  I think I need to watch my amounts as well. I am trying not to eat more then a couple ounces at a time and measuring out, that is hard when out at a restaurant though. If anyone has suggestions on that, it would be great! Hard to know when I have eaten 2 ounces soup out of a cup.... 

Amy

banded 12/2006, slip revision 7/2013, revision to rny 6/8/2015

phibbmom
on 6/25/15 11:48 am

I still can't eat fish - 8 mos out :(  I have LOVED fish my whole life and now can't tolerate it.  I think you have some really good advice from others.  I would just eat slowly and stop early.  I think most restaurants serve about 8 oz of soup in a cup (I actually measured a few to see).  I would then try to estimate 1/4 of that.  You won't feel this way forever.  It does pass.  Just try to measure everything and listen to your body.  It's such a new thing to me.  I had a hard time in the beginning too.

High: 295  Pre-surgery: 267  Current: 142   RNY: 10/7/14

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 419 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 122 views