It's Been Six Years - Here are a few things I know for sure

lynnc99
on 7/16/15 2:43 pm

Yesterday actually, was my 6 year surgi-versary. It's been a wonderful ride, no doubt about it. Yes, I've dealt with regain and had to face that head on in the last several months (pretty successfully!) - but I'm really close to the perfect weight for me and not complaining one single bit!

So to celebrate, here are a few things I've learned about living with RNY. Other vets - feel free to add to the list!

1. Follow the rules. We made our own rules for many years. Our own rules led us to the place called morbid obesity. Now we have agreed to follow the rules set down by a surgeon, forever. The temptation will come to make our own rules once again, or at least to see what we can "get away with." Don't. Just don't. 

2. When it comes to food, stick with the basics and you'll have solid success. Protein first. Veggies. A little fruit if there's room. Eventually, maybe a little bread on a special occasion (and for me it has to be r-e-a-l-l-y good bread, not just anything). We have to be careful - always. I read an article a while back that said when it comes to weight loss, "there is no after." As in - before and after. There is before. And there is now. We can never say we're "done." Success is, for us, a verb. We have to keep on keeping on - succeessing, as it were!

3. If we think that thin people can eat anything they want, and therefore we will someday be able to eat anything we want.....we're wrong. Flat out wrong. Most thin people are vigilant and disciplined about food. 

4. Ditto exercise. I've been a devout exerciser....and then not so devout. The best mentor I have simply knows and teaches she MUST live an active lifestyle in order to maintain her weight, her health, and do the best she can do. I guess there are some people somewhere who do indeed love to work out, but I'm not one of them. Still, I have to push myself to do what I can push myself to do. And it is a PUSH. 

4. If you face regain, it's complicated. We know the answers with regard to what to eat. But we often don't really know what is actually going into our mouths. We have to log it, for better or worse. We have to face guilt and shame and fear that we've failed, even after surgery. But we CAN get hold of ourselves again, and turn the trend around. We have a powerful tool that will work for us, as long as we work with it. Set a weight range and let alarms go off if you hit the upper end of that range. For me, if I find myself avoiding the scale....it's sure to be trouble.

5. Savor the NSV's, however far out you may be. Every time the jeans zip right out of the dryer, every time you get a compliment at work, and even every time you do something without worrying about how fat you are....it's a victory. It gets harder, because it's hard to celebrate the things that become routine, but be conscious every time you cross your legs, or fit easily into a theater seat, or whatever it may be for you. Be mindful and try to keep a perspective on how life might have been without the miracle of surgery.

6. Pay attention to your body. It will let you know when you need to move, when you're hungry, when you're tired. I'm still working on this. I know that for years, I turned to food rather than resting when I needed it. 

7. If you're tempted to test your body by loading up on sugar, pizza, alcohol, or whatever else might strike your fancy, really give this a serious look. Pause and think about what you are doing and why. It is hard to be mindful (and what a buzz word that has become). I know that the old habits lie in wait for us. They are right around the next corner, waiting for us to be weak or impulsive or...well, whatever. They are patient and they never truly go away. We are vulnerable to those old habits - still. Always, I think. 

That's just a few. May all of you newbies have smooth journeys and great success!!!!

TimeForMe61
on 7/16/15 2:50 pm - Lancaster, PA
RNY on 01/22/15

Lynn, thank you for the outstanding post!! This is one I am definitely keeping to remind myself later down the road.. In the spirit of mindfulness!! Thank you!!!!

lynnc99
on 7/16/15 3:56 pm

I have to reply to let you know that we lived a number of years in Lancaster County! Lititz, actually! Moved to Florida in 2012, but miss the beauty of Amish country and the Fulton! 

bac527
on 7/16/15 4:10 pm

Thank you for the great post....how true! 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/16/15 4:27 pm - OH

Great post.  I cannot emphasize enough how important I have found #3, #4, and #7 to be for me!!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/16/15 4:47 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Very nicely written. All your points are great, but I want to thank you for putting #3 out there. Too often I see people complaining about skinny people who eat tons of everything. They really don't. If they did it that often, they'd be morbidly obese too.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

rocky513
on 7/16/15 4:51 pm - WI

Just !!!!!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Dartmouth
on 7/17/15 12:20 am - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

Thank you...that was so encouraging and inspiring for me as I start the new and long journey of maintenance.....I really need to keep in the forefront of my mind all of your post both to encourage me and to dicipline me.  

Thanks again!

joan

birdiegirl
on 7/17/15 2:58 am

Congrats on 6 years  - great post.  No wonder you have stayed successful post 6 years.

I would like to add one thing for those newly post op to 24 months out of surgery:  Take advantage of your first 24 months.  Especially work it for all its worth the first 12.  Don't ruin one good day of loss by  ingesting non essentials.  Get all of it off as fast as possible.  Do not be happy with slow weight loss or 'good enough'. 

Challenge yourself to a goal that is a normal weight.  If you can, lose a bit more for possible bounce back. 

last - try and eat real food.  I appreciate that protein bars and items we used to eat that are now doctored up to be lower fat or sugar can be tempting.  Its a slippery road for your mind to go down.  Because, in the end its all about your thoughts and how you deal with your relationship with food and nutrition.

(sorry - couldn't stop myself at just one more point!)

Tamib0524
on 7/17/15 4:08 am
with

Thank you so much for this advice. I'm just five weeks post op. I've lost 24lbs and feel terrific. I'm struggling with what to eat as I'm on limited foods still and I'm not hungry. 

Your advice is point on and I can't tell you the motivation you've given me

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 303 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?