Increasing Problems with Constipation

IndyRose
on 7/14/15 11:17 pm

I am 6 years out and over the last year I have had increasing difficulty with constipation.  It has actually been so bad that NOTHING works to relieve the constipation except for enemas. I am worried about developing a small bowel obstruction complete with hospitalization and an nasogastric tube placement.  Trust me, I have tried everything.  Laxatives do help after a few days, but your body can become reliant on them.  Does anyone have any suggestions? My sister is  8 years out from her surgery and is beginning to experience the same problem. HELP!

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/15/15 2:50 am

I use Miralx every day. 2-3 capfuls every morning. Every morning. How much I use depends how good BM I had that morning.  I make sure I drink at least 100oz of liquid a day (i count coffee as liquid) 

I also take magnesium 400-800 mg Every night. 

Btw- too much fiber will constipate me. 

There are meds that can help with gut motility, but as long as Miralax works for me - my doc is ok with me using it. 

I use generic - Costco brand Miralax. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

IndyRose
on 7/15/15 8:04 pm

I hadn't heard about magnesium.  I will check that out.  Thank you so much! Yes, I do have luck with Miralax and I need to make sure I up my fluid intake.  I work in healthcare and it is not always easy to do so. 

Doingrightin2015
on 7/15/15 3:05 am
RNY on 03/10/15

I eat prunes a few times a week. I had prunes and peanuts on the same evening....that really done the trick.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

IndyRose
on 7/15/15 8:06 pm

Prunes did not do the trick.  I actually ate an entire container one afternoon and nothing!  All Bran works for a while then it is like my body doesn't respond the same.  I am definitely getting about 8000 steps a day, so don't think activity is the issue.

chulbert
on 7/15/15 5:44 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

If you're like 99% of gastric bypass patients who shriek in terror at the thought of eating any carbohydrates, you're probably not getting enough fiber.

You should probably consider a fiber supplement or, even better, eat more plants.  Make sure you get enough water if you supplement.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/15/15 6:21 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Do you get much fat in your diet? Some people go low fat, and it'll bind you up. 

As a last resort, add a couple handfuls of sugar free gummy bears into your diet. You'll be clean as a whistle. Check out the reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-SUGAR-Classic-Gummi-Bears/dp/B0 06J1FBLM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

The Salty Hag
on 7/15/15 6:53 am
RNY on 05/20/13

One of my favorite things to read...ever. 

AND..they make GREAT gifts for people you hate. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

IndyRose
on 7/15/15 8:16 pm

You mean a WHOLE bag of gummies, don't you? I mean who can stop at a handful when you have a whole bag sitting there? I don't experience dumping syndrome so don't think this will help, but maybe the oil would.  So what grade of motor oil would you use? ; )

selhard
on 7/15/15 8:25 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Sometimes, I think I can tell the difference between those giving suggestions that have "been there" to the severity you speak of and those that haven't.  For example, buying a bag of sf candy did nothing other than make me realize my addiction to candy is alive and well.  Here's what seems to help me the most:  1.  drinking a 20+ ounce of warm water with a capful of Miralax first thing when waking  2. routine, routine, routine finding things like travel asking for trouble  3. staying active  4. increasing fat intake like flaxseed oil in protein shakes and on salad greens. Even with these precautions, my BM's are not regular and take a long time in the bathroom.        

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 294 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 287 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 147 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views