shampoo advice

kokosuggs
on 9/3/15 8:15 pm

I am 8 months out & have lost hair growth..thinning in the front..I have tried to research but there is so much out there so I'm asking for your help..1st of all should I take biotin?  I hear it can cause facial hair???  2nd...I have oily thin hair so I have to wash 3 times a week...what is a good shampoo for thinning hair?  Im using the OBX right now..need some tips or ideas   Thanks

RNY 1/19/15   SW 238  CW 169 GW ??

G2GAWAY
on 9/3/15 10:41 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

I am using Nioxin as recommended by my hairdresser. It is a 3 part series of shampoo, conditioner in the shower, and then leave in conditioner after the shower.  And taking hair, skin, and nails 3 times a day.  I am only 3-1/2 months out, but so far no hair loss.  Went to the doctor's today and they said that these things should help.  My hairdresser has had many clients who have had bypass surgery and feels the shampoo helps.  So, far, so good. No hair loss at all yet.

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/15 1:28 am

You can use minoxidil to slow the hair loss if you feel uncomfortable with it but its expensive ... a pain in the butt to apply and continually reapply and it only POSTPONES the loss unfortunately . Still it does keep your hair attached to your head .  Or you can get a layered cut when it starts to fall  out and visually boost your hair thickness ad so have none notice .  

It does grow back ( biotin helps ) and sometimes comes in curlier like after chemo   Not everyone has hair loss due to he shock of surgery and losing weight but most do - mine was manageable and noone noticed .

White Dove
on 9/4/15 3:31 am - Warren, OH

The Nioxin system was the only thing that helped me.  Your hair and scalp will look and feel better if you shampoo daily.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

selhard
on 9/3/15 10:14 pm, edited 9/3/15 11:39 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Pretty sure you'll find oily hair a thing of the past.  My once-oily hair is now dry---it's probably a combination of WLS, food choices and old age.  I found Nioxin shampoo/conditioner the least expensive at a JCPenney salon on sale combined with JCP coupon...good stuff.  

ladygodiva1228
on 9/4/15 5:51 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Oh that is good to know.  My daughter works at a JCPenny Salon in Rhode Island and she gets great discounts

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/15 7:32 am
RNY on 05/04/15

It's interesting to see this happened to others as well. Even while I was losing weight before surgery, my super-oily hair suddenly started to "de-grease" and look good going 3-4 days between washings instead of 1-2. My doc thought it might be from the improvement to my insulin resistance and resolution of possible undiagnosed PCOS. And now that half of it's fallen out, it doesn't tangle anymore, and the split ends aren't nearly as noticeable!  

kim_pei
on 9/3/15 11:20 pm, edited 9/3/15 11:24 pm - Canada

Hi...I am 3 months out and started "shedding" @2 months now it's coming out by the hand fulls. Which is a little scary to me. I called the clinic and was told it's from surgery and the malabsorbtion and to up my protein. 

Then I went to my hairdresser...who specializes in hair loss and cancer patients.  She advised a nioxin treatment at the salon once a month which is the equivalent to 4 months of washing your hair with nioxin.  She still recommends using the shampoo conditioner and leave in treatment. But said it works really well with her clients and only 20 dollars a month for a treatment. I am starting it this week and will let you know.  I have average hair. Not thick or thin.but it gets oily easily and have to wa**** every second day...but it's getting thin fast now.  It's also past my shoulders so I am getting a nice flirty cut to disguise the loss as long as I can.  Hopefully won't have to go for a wig. But I was assured by the year mark it should be over!

Thinking of you!...Kim

kokosuggs
on 9/4/15 8:13 am

Thank you all for your advice... Going to jcpenny this weekend !  As for the biotin... Have you seen any or more facial hair?  I have light blonde hair on my face like near the ears, under cheek bones... I'm thinking that's just normal. We have hair on our body to protect it..

RNY 1/19/15   SW 238  CW 169 GW ??

AKD40
on 9/5/15 7:32 am

My hairstylist recommended Nioxin or "Full Density" by Bioloage (matrix). I haven't had surgery yet but I plan to go ahead and trying both.