How NOT following my bariatric diet almost cost me my life.

Hollie313
on 9/22/15 5:24 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12

All to often we hear the wonderful things about bypass surgery.  For me, I lost 130 pounds, got my liver enzymes under control, am no longer pre-diabetic and even gained a daughter out of the deal.  However, I had the scare of my life on September 6th.  I went out of state for vacation and started having the worst abdominal pain imaginable.  I was pregnant and thought I was miscarrying.  My mom talked me into going to the mini hospital up the block from our hotel.  After doing a CT scan, they discovered I had a ruptured fallopian tube due to an ectopic pregnancy and my abdomen was filling up with blood.  I was rushed via ambulance to the main hospital in Chattanooga.  They needed to do emergency surgery because a ruptured fallopian tube can be a life or death situation.  How does this coincide with my bypass you ask???  They quickly tested my blood only to find out I was SO malnourished that it took over 7 minutes for it to clot.  This is NOT ok for surgery.  I could have bled out, if they didn't test my blood.  I was not thin malnourished, but literally malnourished in the sense of vitamins, proteins, etc.  I ended up having to have a blood transfusion and 4 packs of plasma before they could do surgery and stop the internal bleeding.  Aside from the devastation of losing the pregnancy and a fallopian tube, I had to face the facts that I may be at a normal weight yet am FAR from healthy.  My point is not to scare anyone, but to make you VERY AWARE that it's easy to become lax after 3 years post-op.  It's easy to think you are doing ok (I truly thought I was getting in my protein, but I was guilty of drinking with meals.) and then find out your not the hard way.  It's easy to stop going to your yearly follow ups.  It's easy to start sipping with meals.  It's easy to forget vitamins here and there.  Please, please, please take your dietary instructions seriously.  Do NOT allow yourself to become lax over the years.  I am very lucky to be here writing this. 

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

Sarah M.
on 9/22/15 5:42 am

I appreciate you sharing this! How horrible for you and definitely a great reminder to us that are new to this. 

karenp8
on 9/22/15 6:20 am - Brighton, IL

Thanks for this important reminder for us all!

yankeescl
on 9/22/15 6:45 am
RNY on 09/12/13

Thank you for your advice!

chulbert
on 9/22/15 6:56 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I'm sorry you went through this but glad you pulled through.  Thanks for sharing.  You are indeed correct that there's much more to optimal health than weight.  A healthful diet of varied foods, exercise, and supplements all play critical roles in our well-being.

Hollie313
on 9/22/15 8:53 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12

Thank you.  I just hope my experience will make an impact somewhere.  It sure did on me!  I think we become so "weight focused" that we forget, when we get down the road a few years, that nourishing our bodies properly are just as, if not more, important!  Lesson learned here. 

Emiepie
on 9/22/15 7:11 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Thank you for sharing your story and I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Hope you're feeling better soon.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Queen JB
on 9/22/15 8:17 am
RNY on 07/20/15

So very sorry for the loss of your child, but I thank you for taking the time to come back and help save lives, here. I immediately coped and pasted your post into an email that I sent to a friend who is 5 years out and has stopped following all dietary plans. Hoping to scare her straight!

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Hollie313
on 9/22/15 8:50 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12

Thanks.  I'm glad you did.  I truly thought I had this lifestyle under control and that drinking with my meals was no big deal.  I thought as long as my weight is under control, I can drink.  I know it sounds ridiculous, but it never occurred to me that I'm robbing my body of the chance to absorb the nutrients from food by flushing it out so quickly.  I'm lucky they did the bloodwork before surgery or, like I said, I would've bled to death.  We focus SO MUCH on the weight aspect that often we forget about the health aspect.  I hope your friend heeds your warning.

bac527
on 9/22/15 8:53 am

Thank you so much for sharing.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 461 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?