Regain and Qsymia

N_perez1983
on 10/17/15 6:41 am

Ok so im basically on here just asking for some opinions/advice. Im 3.5yrs postop. i initially got down to 180 from 350 now im up to 215 which its obviously an average of 15 lb weight gain yearly in the last 2 yrs. I went to my surgeons office for labs and refill on my omeprazole because face it after rny who can live without that damn medication now. My surgeon no longer practices there but i saw the senior doc there and all he said was "OMG WHAT HAPPENED?" as if i reversed the whole damn thing. I was like ok buddy i understand the surgery isnt witchcraft and ive gained some weight but im here for guidance like WTF REALLY??!! excuse my language btw. I knew ive gained weight and ive tried plenty of things before i went back into the office. Yes I am emberassed. Yes I said I was not going to be that 20% that regains but **** happens. I do workout 4-5 days a week which is what makes it worse because the weight came off extremely fast in the beginning due to hours of cardio which if youre a newbie I DO NOT RECOMMEND HOURS OF CARDIO!!!!!!! Your body will get used to that crap and you will have to continue even as you lose. Strength training is best but what do I know ive gained 30 lbs smh. Ok so after seeing doc he told me go downstairs to his nutritionist office and see what prigrams they have for people that regain. So now I get down there and the nurse tells me oh yea theres a 3month program where u can possibly lose 25-30 lbs w the use of this new fda approved diet drug called qsymia which is basically 1/2 phentermine and 1/2 topamax which is a seizure pill...this med gives u energy and cuts your craving. the program covers 8 visits w the nutritionist and 4 visits w doctor sadly insurance doesnt cover the program and its 1500 but since i had surgery in that office its only 900 for me lmao WTF.....and to fill the script is damn near 125 itself....just wana know anyones ecperiences w this drug cuz for that price i can pay a fancy ass crossfit gym and go work off these 30 lbs

White Dove
on 10/17/15 8:36 am - Warren, OH

Regain is not 20%. It is at least 99.9%. There are a very few people who claim not have regain.

No gym or exercise program is going to take 30 pounds off without cutting the food you eat. You need to lose pounds by cutting calories. If you track your food and eliminate 500 calories a day, you will lose a pound a week.

Cut your cravings by eating protein. If you stop eating simple carbs your cravings will go away.

In 30 weeks the 30 pounds will be gone. The drugs will only work if you eat less and you can do that without drugs.

Spend the money on a fitness tracker and a smart scale. Download My Fitness Pal for free. Track all food, weigh daily, and use your tool to get back to your goal.

We pay the drug companies to let us be their Guinea pigs. Don't do it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

N_perez1983
on 10/17/15 9:58 am

I mustve been misinformed somehow. During my seminar my surgeon mentioned RNY had the lowest percentage as far as regaining all the weight back...I didnt regain all of it just 30 lbs of it .....but i will definately be true to myself as far as tracking..i do have myfitnesspal and i dont jump on the scale every single day thats an extremely unhealthy obsession i cant have right now along w other things..but 1x a week wouldnt hurt

Maria27
on 10/17/15 8:57 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I agree, don't waste your money on a weight loss drug. Go back to basics. Cut out carbs and focus on dense protein. The cravings will get better once you detox from the carbs. Lots of people come here for help with regain. There is a search button at the top. Spend some time reading posts about regain and you will get an idea of what you need to do. Keep coming back and reading new posts for the support too.

As a side note, I'm not sure why you think you need omeprazole due to rny. My understanding is that most people only take a PPI for a brief period after surgery and then stop. My surgeon requires Nexium for only the first month post op, and I haven't taken any since.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

N_perez1983
on 10/17/15 9:52 am

Maria, my gallbladder was removed a few yrs before i had rny and even after my surgery i still get the attacks so i take omeprazole daily and nexium when i dont have any. I have endoscopies yearly and thank god they always come back normal. all the doc sais is i have chronic gastritis and ill likely have to take it for a while. Thanks for the tips. I do track on myfitnesspal and i have lots of protein daily but i also have probably same amount of carbs because of the strength training i do but i will definately focus on good carbs because the detox is necessary

Maria27
on 10/17/15 10:56 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Oh, that makes sense. As far as the carbs, I highly recommend cutting them to less than 50 a day for at least a week or two so you can detox, and then you can add some good carbs back if you think they are necessary. But a lot of people on here will tell you that you don't need the good carbs either. Protein is what is going to help you with strength training. Personally, I will consider adding more good carbs once I get to goal because carbs other than fiber just add extra calories in my book, which is only going to hinder weight loss. All we really need is vitamin and calcium supplements, protein, some healthy fats, and fiber or a laxative. Many postops simply use Miralax, but I prefer to eat chia seeds because they do not contain any carbs other than fiber.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Cinch
on 2/3/18 8:57 pm
RNY on 06/20/16

I am 16 months post-op And I too have not been able to come off omeprozole. They did an endoscopy and found everything to be ok. However, if I skip a day I have horrible pain in the top of my stomach. Being a person who has rarely taken any medication, this has been disheartening.

Grim_Traveller
on 10/18/15 4:57 am
RNY on 08/21/12

If diet drugs worked, surgeons would be out of business. The only thing that will end up lighter is your wallet. Save your money.

Exercise isn't going to help either. The only thing that is going to get rid of extra weight is eating less. I know, it's hard to do, but it really is the only answer?

I was never on omeprazole for a day. So saying that all RNYers can't go a day without it is misleading for those who don't know better. It's very rare for an RNYer to need an acid reducer. RNY cures GERD. Sleevers, on the other hand, usually need the PPI.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

N_perez1983
on 10/18/15 5:26 am

thanks for the input..this may of been my 1st or 2nd post on here since ive been back on this site so ill make sure to not sound so misleading for those contemplating on wls. i wouldnt want to stray anyone away for giving them false information

Laura in Texas
on 10/18/15 5:04 am

I agree with White Dove. It's all about how much you eat. Exercise does not do much for weight loss. Get out your food scale and measuring cups and track every bite you eat.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."