Regain and Qsymia

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/18/15 5:15 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Dr is an a-hole. Some weight regain is experienced by most people. You have kept off 135 pounds, if my math is correct. You are still a success story AND you went to see him to get it back under control. Good for you. I totally agree that wt training is better than cardio. But wt is 80% eating and only 20% exercise, so the posters telling you how to get your intake adjusted are spot on. Personally, I never lost when I wasn't plan. If you're like me, some plan is better than no plan, but there may be better places near you to help get rid of the 30 pounds that this doctor.

Sharon

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/18/15 5:19 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

PS I had RNY surgery 10 months ago and I don;t even know what omeprazole is. I had to take Pepcid OTC for about 6 weeks post surgery, but none since then. I had an hiatal hernia repaired during surgery and have been fine.

Sharon

N_perez1983
on 10/18/15 5:30 am

Thanks for your sweet response Sharon. its like ok i knew weight was creeping back i just needed a doctor to tell me "hold the fu$& up woman" which it worked. Im actually meal prepping today and sticking to my own plan. i looked over all the old nutritionist meal plans and got an idea of how things were then. Omeprazole is the same as pepcid, nexium its all the same

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/18/15 6:51 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I am only 10 months out, so not yet dealing with your issues. I'm glad the doctor read you correctly and you got what you needed from him.

Keep us posted, if it helps you.

Sharon

Missella20
on 10/18/15 7:48 am
RNY on 07/11/13

I have been taking Omeprazole since my surgery 2 1/2 years ago. It was originally prescribed for 3 mos. Then extended to 6 mos. Now, indefinitely. I have tried to stop taking it but it hurts like heck! Lol. My hubby gets mad at me when he finds out I let the prescription run out because after 3 days I am moaning and making everyone around me miserable ha ha. Everyone is different.

Ella

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

Loveandlafs
on 10/18/15 5:43 am

I was on it for a minute, stopped within a week due to side effects...can't remember what they were so am not much help. Sorry!

Eggface
on 10/18/15 8:53 am, edited 10/18/15 1:53 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Just a couple of thoughts...

I might chat with my Dr about ruling out mechanical failure issues... the need for an acid reducer long term is NOT the norm and may explain the regain.

Have your labs checked and rule out underlying health issues that might cause weight gain.

Have you been put on any new medications? Many have weight gain as a side effect (antidepressants, birth control, hormone replacement, many...)

Free sites or apps like fitday, myfitnesspal, sparkpeople would be a first stop... chart your intake (food & drink) and output (exercise) while you wait to see your Dr. bring that data with you to the appointment. It's often easy to see in B&W where something may need adjusting (too many carbs, not enough protein, portion size increase, not enough water, etc.) Maybe a dietitian referral. As people above mentioned exercise has wonderful health and strength benefits but it's very very difficult to exercise off excess calories.

Qysmia is one of the more effective diet drugs currently out there (5-8% weight loss achieved in studies I have read, as you stated a combo of very old drugs, not 50-50 more like 95:5) but it's probably not something you will want to do till some of the things above I mentioned are addressed.

I did want to add this NEVER BE EMBARRASSED. Obesity is a chronic disease which requires chronic treatment... Dr's understand this and those that don't aren't worth the paper framed on their wall. Ditch them.

I hope you are able to get the answers you are seeking and all is A-OK,

~Shelly

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

aesposito
on 10/18/15 4:25 pm, edited 10/18/15 9:53 am

Pardon my French, but your doctor (and his office) is a dick.

If he told you only 20 percent of patients regain, he is wrong.

If he told you everyone is on Omeprazole, he is wrong (although certainly a few are).

And then his nurse trying to sell you on diet drugs instead of helping you use the tool you spent tens of thousands of dollars having installed? Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh! (BTW I took topamax for a few years for a neuro issue... made me stupid and sluggish and dangerous, but certainly not thin. Phentermine works for a bit, but then wears off over time, as many of us who were around in the 90's can attest.)

OMG, nothing is wrong with you that a good restart on the basics wouldn't fix. And a new doctor. Once again, proof that having an MD, DO, RN or RD after your name means next to nothing in this bariatric surgery business.

And please know I am not criticizing you at ALL. You are making wonderful choices given the crappy advice you have received, otherwise you wouldn't still be down as far as you are :)

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

N_perez1983
on 10/18/15 4:34 pm

Thanks so much for making me feel "normal". I will not be following up w that surgeons office in 6months. I work in the medical field and i can have my labs done in my office i just figured i'd get some good advice which i clearly did not get there. Can you believe the doc also said "wow you made it to 179, I bet you stopped traffic at that weight". GGGGRRRRRR i stop it now too smh so aggravating

iloveravens
on 10/19/15 6:04 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I tried Qsymia the year before my weight loss surgery. It made me really constipated and I only lost about 10 lbs and ended up regaining it after I quit taking it. I also tried Belviq. No success there either. Beware of the constipation if you go the Qsymia route.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 212 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views