Been burping like non-stop

mherman89
on 10/26/15 4:35 pm

Surgery was four days ago. My body just started doing this burping thing where if I drink or sip broth or sit up straight for a while, I immediately start having gas (burps) come up. Is that normal? Or is it a sign that I'm having too much at a time?

I can't really tell the difference between pain from surgery and pain from being full. Any advice is appreciated! I would be lost without this forum!!

hollykim
on 10/26/15 5:17 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 26, 2015 at 11:35 PM Pacific Time, mherman89 wrote:

Surgery was four days ago. My body just started doing this burping thing where if I drink or sip broth or sit up straight for a while, I immediately start having gas (burps) come up. Is that normal? Or is it a sign that I'm having too much at a time?

I can't really tell the difference between pain from surgery and pain from being full. Any advice is appreciated! I would be lost without this forum!!

burping is my signal that I am full and getting over full.

mherman89
on 10/26/15 7:00 pm

Good to know! I thought hopefully it was all the air they pumped into me during surgery coming out, but I'll keep that in mind!!

selhard
on 10/26/15 7:41 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Burping sounds normal; you'll catch on to signals. I get a runny nose toward the end of a meal. At four days out, I was sipping either water, broth, or protein drinks steady. I am happy for this forum, too and strongly suggest attending a support group (in person or on line) to help you along the way. Follow the plan and you'll do fine. Follow the plan and you'll do fine. Follow the plan and you'll do fine...

sweetpotato1959
on 10/26/15 8:32 pm

Be careful when you swallow, I was a chronic air- swallower, made me quite miserable.. burping is one of the symptoms another is intense abdominal pain. Be glad you can let it out..

.air swallow can be limited by using a straw to drink with..It was my constant companion for several weeks. If it is related to the amount you are eating...you should know...cut food by 1/3, for a bit.

ecm1109
on 10/27/15 6:46 am

Interesting about the straw. My surgeons plan did NOT allow me to use a straw for that very same reason. I found however, that the only way I could get enough liquids in was with a straw, so with the dieticians permission, I did use a straw in the beginning.

I agree with the previous comment that it may be your full signal, or you could be sipping too quickly.

Best of luck to you!

mherman89
on 10/27/15 6:48 pm

I got the same warning to not use a straw. You would think the air at the top of the straw would be swallowed every time. I think I'll just go case by case.