When can I stop worrying about "Bounce Back?"

SkinnyScientist
on 12/1/15 10:49 am

Hi Folks,

I am going into my 3rd year post-op. 

I have a weird question.  When does "Bounce back/ regain" happen.

For example, I have read that some vets say something like " IN years 1 and 2 people will say you look too thin, you dont hear that in year 3"

So does that mean

Bounceback happens in year 3?

Bounceback happens in year 2.

If I made it to year 3 ok, can I stop worrying?

Right now my weight flucuates between 139-144.  If I dont keep an eye on it, i have gotten as high as 147!!!

Is bounceback intrinsic to the procedure (i.e. you cant stop it without acting and eating crazy)?

Can I quit worrying about it since i am g oing into year 3.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/1/15 10:53 am

simple answer - never... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cleopatra_Nik
on 12/1/15 12:09 pm - Baltimore, MD

I gotta agree with the never. It's easy to fall into the mentality that when you achieve a normal weight you don't have to think about these things anymore. That's so not true! Metabolically you are still a person pre-disposed to weight gain. So while you probably don't need to stay awake at night worrying about it, you should be practicing an overall healthy lifestyle, making sure you have checks and balances and sources of accountability to help you recognize when and if you need to change something.

But there is no one answer on when bounceback happens. For some it's year one or two. For some it's been years and still hasn't happened yet. We are all different so there's really no way to predict it. The best you can do is learn YOUR body and what works for it, then stick to that!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

birdiegirl
on 12/1/15 12:55 pm

I would like to echo the "never" comment.  There is bounce back - and just plain old weight gain if you let it - then if you aren't careful a little more yo-yoing

You might get lucky and not have to think about it - and you might have to work on it everyday like I do.  Its a real balancing act to enjoy your life including food as part of that life - while keeping a lid on the pounds.   Think like a thin person - most I know balance their eating with some splurges and then cutting back

Never think you have got it licked

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/15 2:01 pm

I had my surgery a little before you. I have to say never also. I know I am a food addict and I can never just life footloose and fancy free with food. 

I do think we need to look towards the future and keep our past in the back of our heads so we don't forget where we started. 

I think I worry more now than I did last year. I am still not at the weight I want to be at. I will get there. I know I will. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/15 2:19 pm - CA

You are ALWAYS at risk for regain.  I am 14 years post op and started having regain at 12 years po.   Things change, life changes and our bodies experience those changes too.   Emotional issues, hormonal issues, stress issues can all play a role in regain, just as falling back to old habits of eating the wrong things.  

During my regain I was out of the bariatric community and I feel that if I had been able to be more involved in a support environment, I wouldn't have had this, but I did.   I am here now and have set my priorities and goals back in place.  The best thing about this, I still have my tool and always will.  I just have to adapt to the changes that happen as life goes by.  

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/6/15 7:56 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Reply to all Long-Term Posters:

Thanks for sharing - at 1 year out, at a weight lower than I could have dreamed of, and I'm at least a little paranoid about keeping it off.  It has not been effortless, but knowing that others are doing it helps.

Sharon

White Dove
on 12/1/15 3:29 pm - Warren, OH

My Bounceback happened at 30 months out.  I gained a pound a week for 14 weeks and finally took action.  At the end of my second year I thought I was safe.  I was wrong.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

SkinnyScientist
on 12/2/15 4:39 am

Thank you for telling us about your experience white dove!

So, here I am at the end of my second year, thinking i am safe....

Thank you for letting me know!  I will learn from your experience!!! I appreciate it very very much!

You are one of my many  s here!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

MultiMom
on 12/2/15 4:16 am - NH

It's not a popular answer, especially to those who say that bounce back happens to everyone, but bounce back is nothing more than eating more calories than you burn. As we age our body burns fewer calories and as we get further from RNY our bodies absorb more of the calories that we consume. That is why we can never "coast"! I am 7+ years out and have never had "bounce back" or regain. I keep an eye on the scale and adjust my intake BEFORE it turns in to a 3 or 5 or 10 pound gain.

I wouldn't "worry", but just keep an eye on the scale and adjust as needed. It's a new normal way of life!

Martha :)

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009