When can I stop worrying about "Bounce Back?"

Cleopatra_Nik
on 12/3/15 9:42 am - Baltimore, MD

Gotcha. Yeah that's one of those emotional reactions you sometimes don't see coming. 

I think skinny is a relative term, but it's also a polarizing one, which may have been what you were reacting to. I'm not very fond of dichtomies (skinny/not skinny, fat/not fat). It's hard, I know, but I've worked to think of things more like a continuum. Right now I am bigger than my smallest weight after surgery but WAY smaller than my biggest. I also fit on a continuum of other post-ops (I'm bigger than some, smaller than others) and people in general. 

For me, looking at it that way makes me appreciate where I am in this process.

I totally get that you are pleased with yourself and I think you 1000% should be! But I also understand that sometimes those reactions jump out and you aren't quite prepared for them. I find your honesty about it very refreshing.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

SkinnyScientist
on 12/3/15 11:42 am

I love you and the way you think!

Thank you for helping me work through this unexpected anger/emotion.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Grim_Traveller
on 12/3/15 5:07 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I think it might benefit you to stop thinking in black and white terms. It isn't a matter of, if you aren't skinny you must be fat. The spectrum is much broader than that. The terms skinny and fat themselves really aren't very useful or accurate. They certainly aren't very kind.

You've done really, really well. But I always sense that you still aren't very satisfied or content. You should be.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

SkinnyScientist
on 12/3/15 9:29 am

You are right about those  quiet nagging feelings that eat into oneself.  They do tell me a lot sometimes.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

sweetpotato1959
on 12/3/15 10:11 pm

Exactly!..Our feelings rule more than our heads or our hearts...:>)...And understanding ourself is our greatest gift to self.

Denise
sweetpotato1959
on 12/3/15 10:03 pm

Skinny Scientist,    Yes, it does make us think , doesn't it?... I think I understand...both the "initial anger" and the satisfaction of being "skinny"..My surgery was Oct 31,94. I set my initial goal too high,..(I never put  much stock in charts, so ignored those.).. probably because it was lower than anything I had been, as an adult. I always knew that I would/might need to move it down as I matured, and got closer to my initial goal.  When I got down to buying clothes off the rack, being able to work in a physically demanding job and excel in that job. I thought I had arrived. Then things happened, I lost the job with a high activity level,gained a husband, and added more variety to my diet...and found further intolerances..Stablized close to my initial goal (5 lbs+/-)In the past 8 months I have had a lot of stressful changes, and have made some more adjustments to my health maintainence, and goal weights. 

I think as long as we don't  become static, keep evaluating ourselves, and making those adjustments, we will all do ok in the balance of time. Admitting to ourselves.. feelings in/about our   goals and perceptions helps us to obtain those goals of being active and healthy.

Denise
CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/4/15 3:53 pm
RNY on 12/31/13
On December 3, 2015 at 2:27 PM Pacific Time, SkinnyScientist wrote:

"Since neither of us has ever gotten to the "skinny" or "gaunt" phase -- and neither of us has been "too thin" -- I think that we have to be especially careful about bounce back.  ..."

"I had to respond because I think when we talk about "getting as high as 147" we can unintentionally hurt others feelings.  I mean, I was 344 lbs and 147 would have been a dream -- I try always to keep that in mind."

Kat, these two posts cause a lot of mixed feelings in me. Part of it is down right anger-"What do you mean I am not skinny?  I wear a small, sometimes and extra small" and one of the other feelings is " YOU ARE RIGHT".  !42-147 lbs is dangerously close to the overweight range and I didnt go through surgery, all the hoops that come with it, and the amount of exercising I did TO BE OVERWEIGHT.

I think your post on as high as 147, and it being a dream, is right on too. I have friends that I consider "normal" sized that weighed much less than me when I was 300. They have never told me their weights but now they are heavier than me and they have made some tense remarks about it.

So in summary, some of remarks made me angry and I dont know why (?maybe I am insulted?). Some of them are right on...and more than a few gave me incentive to think and rethink

Not sure how to respond to your anger at my words.

I am the same height, same weight, wear the same size and had surgery the same day.  Trust me, to lose over 200 lbs, I have worked hard too.  I am not skinny, gaunt, or too thin.  To me, those pejorative words are insults... yet you are insulted that I am not calling us that?  I don't know really what to say. 

Sorry.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/2/15 3:18 pm, edited 12/2/15 10:13 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I had to respond because I think when we talk about "getting as high as 147" we can unintentionally hurt others feelings.  I mean, I was 344 lbs and 147 would have been a dream -- I try always to keep that in mind.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

robinreinhardt
on 12/2/15 4:06 pm

Skinny,

I am only at 11 months +. This is really tough work. I agree with her that Never can we stop doing this. When I have a 2 pound gain it gets me back on track. Thank God for OH and exercise. Worry about winter when the storms start. Keep on your path. Thanks as always for your posts.

Robin

Silverbelle69
on 12/2/15 5:19 pm - Midlothian, VA
RNY on 06/05/12

I am in year 3.  I am 5 '7 and started around 294.    My lowest was 123 for like one day, and I was holding steady at 128 until a couple months ago when I got up to 140 with no changes in diet/exercise.  I have reduced my daily calorie goal and since then I stay between 130 and 135, which I am ok with.

Most Active
Recent Topics