Food ennui/depression

cheapskate
on 12/4/15 9:31 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

I am going through something. Not exactly sure if it is normal or not. I dont want to eat. It's not like I am angry because I am making a major lifestyle change-I really dont care. It's not because I can only eat certain things and "feel left out". I just dont care about food, like at all. I feel like we broke up. 

So that translates into not eating right, not eating enough, drinking too many protein shakes and not eating enough real food.

Is this something I need to address? Will it pass? Should I see my psychologist? It has been ongoing for at least 6 weeks now.

MickeyDee
on 12/4/15 9:38 pm

It's not uncommon for our bodies to suddenly be "not hungry", i's just the way that RNY affects some people, myself included.

I kind of liked having the Hungry Tiger out of my system.  It was more than a year before I actually felt a "hunger" signal and it is different from my pre-op hunger signal.  I really have to be careful abou****ching for low blood sugar, which gives me "the trembles" and I get really cranky.  A protein bar (at least 10 grams) can help that.

You must eat.  Do protein shakes, there's nothing wrong with that.  Do continue to eat protein first, whatever you eat.  A meal for us should be between 2-3 oz, and chewchewchew.

Food is Fuel.  

Keep yourself busy with learning new forms of fun and exercise.  

White Dove
on 12/5/15 12:21 am - Warren, OH

Breaking up with food is the only way to succeed long term.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Laura in Texas
on 12/5/15 3:39 am
On December 5, 2015 at 5:31 AM Pacific Time, cheapskate wrote:

I am going through something. Not exactly sure if it is normal or not. I dont want to eat. It's not like I am angry because I am making a major lifestyle change-I really dont care. It's not because I can only eat certain things and "feel left out". I just dont care about food, like at all. I feel like we broke up. 

So that translates into not eating right, not eating enough, drinking too many protein shakes and not eating enough real food.

Is this something I need to address? Will it pass? Should I see my psychologist? It has been ongoing for at least 6 weeks now.

What does that mean? What does a typical day look like in terms of what you eat? Our bodies need fuel, but we do not need a ton of it. If you are getting protein and water in, you are fine but if you are not eating at all, that will be a problem for your heart.

I lived mostly on protein shakes the first year. For me, it worked. I introduced more actual food into my diet when I got to goal.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

cheapskate
on 12/5/15 6:07 am
RNY on 03/30/15

I am hitting my numbers. Yesterday I was cal 755 protein 73 carbs 28 fat 41 (high fat day for me) The day before was Cal 569 Protein 79 Carbs 19 and fat 19

It is the general lack of interest i am concerned about. I want to be successful, I am working my program 100% but I could care less about food.

I am glad to hear you lived off shakes, that is what was scaring me.

Grim_Traveller
on 12/5/15 7:54 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It sounds like you are doing fine. One of the fantastic side effects from surgery is the lack of hunger. It usually comes back, so you should enjoy it and take advantage of it while you can.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

cheapskate
on 12/5/15 9:04 am
RNY on 03/30/15

I will hit my numbers. My main job is to work  my tool. That being said, it is my general attitude towards food I am concerned about. I just don't want to eat, like ever. If I could live on shakes I would. I almost have an aversion to eating and I wanted to make sure that was normal at this point. 

Grim_Traveller
on 12/5/15 4:08 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It really is pretty typical.

A couple of years ago, we had someone who had been going through what you are. One day she felt hungry, like we all used to, and it freaked her out so much she went to the ER. Going to the ER because you are hungry? Can you imagine?

As I said above, this lack of interest will fade, and you will have to fight food cravings again. So enjoy this, don't fight it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

beachybikegirl
on 12/5/15 12:08 pm

I totally understand!  I used to love "doing lunch" with my girlfriends.  I looked forward to it all, the bread appetizers sharing things and now I don't even thing about food.  It's kind of more of an annoyance now, like oh yeah, I should probably eat something to hit my protein goal.  Even today I am meeting up with a friend and I said I would leave my house to get to her around 12 or 1pm and she said Oh I guess I will need to eat lunch by then but I can grab something when you get here if you like (she's pregnant so needs to eat)  It' was such a funny moment for me because  we hadn't discussed any specific plans we were just going to hang out and she assumed we would do lunch and I hadn't even thought about it.  Quite the difference!  So yes I just focus on hitting my protein goals each day.

RNY on 6/25/15 Height 5.8 HW/SW 247 CW 142 (Normal BMI 21.5) GW 145

Hit my Goal on 5/1/2016 going for more...

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/5/15 8:33 pm

I have days like that even now.  Tired of too much work to eat so little.  I just make sure I get my vitamins and minerals... And I think of new ways to serve food to my pouch. Think of it as a fussy baby... You try to find something that the "baby" may like... And still is healthy and good for you...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views