Day 5. Struggling. I want real food

Grim_Traveller
on 12/29/15 8:56 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I disagree. We don't get obese by eating carrots, broccoli, lettuce, and chicken. It just doesn't work that way. Maybe you thought things were healthy, like the poster above with protein fruit smoothies. (Which aren't even remotely healthy). But you were eating enough stuff with high calories. You just had to be. 

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/23/15 5:15 am

Food needs to wait. 

But if you want more natural protein - look into more organic or natural protein powders. 

A few I can suggest - About time whey, Orgain (vegan), MRM natural line, Tera proteins ..etc.. Etc etc..

As for drinks - cucumber infused water, fruit infused water..etc..

Unfortunately some of the "natural" food choices like fruits, nuts etc are often high in  sugar - or calories. 

Just because it is natural it does not mean if is good for us when we trying to lose weight.  Sugar is sugar ' our body will treat it the same regardless if it come from a fruit or a cookie.  I know. Mine does that.I had to give up most fruits because eating fruits made me hungry and caused weight gain. 

I eat some berries..but not every day... 

Nuts on the other hand are my "to go" snacks. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Caligirl05
on 12/23/15 10:48 am

Thank you Hala B! Exactly what I needed! I will definitely look into those protein powders you mentioned. I know, of course, food needs to wait so it's GREAT to hear that there are perhaps some more natural types of protein drinks that aren't too high in sugar or fat and also have enough protein. I drank the Aloha brand shakes pre-surgery and they fit all the criteria given by my surgeon EXCEPT it is only 18 grams and my surgeon's recommendation is at least 20-25 grams. And, since I'm still having trouble reaching my water and protein goals, I hate to waste it on a lower protein shake. And cucumber infused water sounds perfect! I'm smacking myself on the head wondering why I didn't think of that. Thank you. That was very helpful

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/23/15 11:23 am

My Costco carry Orgain powder- powder is better because you can ad as much as you need.  I like Vega brand.. but they are thicker so not as good for newly post op IMO

Plantfusion is very nice...IMO

There is also Hemp proteins- OK, but it has a lot of fiber so it is really thick.. I can only drink that little at a time. 

There is a lot different more natural protein powder - but some are either very pricey, while others I just could not make myself to drink...

on the list I tried and can't handle are:

Jay Robb is one that I personally don't like..

Raw proteins  by Garden of life..are another that makes me gag.. 

Sunwarrior - another brand that is no-go... but my friend loves it.. .

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Caligirl05
on 12/23/15 11:28 am

Perfect. Thank you! I will have my hubby check for some of these next time he's at Costco. I really appreciate the recs.

Doingrightin2015
on 12/23/15 6:44 am
RNY on 03/10/15

In the beginning nothing really taste good. I can remember enjoying advancing to the next phase just to try more and different foods. I was so excited to get to the regular stage and allowed salads again....here to tell you they don't have the same punch now that they did before!! You have to focus on protein first and then pick the low starch veggies you can add in if you have room after the protein!

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

Caligirl05
on 12/23/15 10:56 am

Thanks doingitright. I've read that raw veggies are hard to take for quite some time so I was prepared to give up salads for a while. I hadn't heard that they just don't taste good anymore. That is a bit of a bummer. However, I didn't get surgery just to keep doing things the same way I had been. Thanks for the heads up. I will just have to wait and see where my new, improved habits and tastes take me :-) 

Doingrightin2015
on 12/23/15 3:58 pm
RNY on 03/10/15

they still taste good. Just not as exciting as they once were. Don't crave them anymore.  l use to love to get a chopped salad from subway prior to surgery. Now I think I have ordered one or two...since. They make me several meals. I think my husband even had some out of one I had too. Just not being able to eat that much of one anymore has lost the appeal they once had.  

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

Sandy E.
on 12/23/15 10:27 am - Hyannis, MA

I understand completely!! I'm 9 days post op and doing well. I'm not feeling hungry, but as of yesterday the head hunger is starting to bother me. Magazine pictures of food, food tv commercials and the smell of food cooking is really making me wish I could chew something.  I will not advance to the next strange until cleared.  You're in good company here! Keep up the good work! 

Caligirl05
on 12/23/15 11:16 am

Thank you, sandy! We're only a few days apart so we can do this together. I'm feeling the same way. I'm not hungry at all. I just miss real food. Funny enough, I think my second day was the worst with the food commercials. I saw a commercial for something I would have NEVER eaten pre-op (Olive Garden breadstick sandwich) and I almost cried. I was like, "whyyyy didn't I eat that when I had the chance?! Now, I'll never know what that's like!" Lol. The brain is a funny thing. 

On a good note, my family came home with In N Out the other night. I gave up all other fast food years ago, but since In N Out uses real, fresh ingredients, this is the one indulgence I allowed myself (protein style burgers of course). Anyway, they ate it and I didn't care. This is pretty huge for me. In n Out has always been a favorite of mine. The homemade tamales sitting in my fridge awaiting Christmas...those are another story though! Ha. I guess I'll take my small victories where I can. 

I'll try to follow your progress as I'm just a few days behind you. Best of luck and thanks for the reply

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 157 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics