Tips on how to make a protein shake please

Deanna798
on 3/7/16 10:19 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I very rarely drink a shake.  I usually use the Unjury Chocolate supreme in the evening warmed up as a hot cocoa, but the last time I made it I heated it too long and turned it into a solid, which was really creepy.  I picked up a couple of packets of Quest and I really like the fact that they have different flavors and are super convenient for days like these when I need the extra protein.

I plan my day every morning.  This morning I noticed that I was really low on protein, but I didn't have any high protein low calorie alternatives available for snacks.  I thought a packet of Quest is 100 calories and 20g of protein if I mixed it with jus****er.  I don't really care for fancy protein shakes, I just am really looking for the occasional boost to protein that doesn't make me gag. I have a cheap-o hamilton beech "bullet".  I haven't tried with the Quest powders because I dread the foam that I've gotten with the others.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

RNY0615
on 3/7/16 10:13 am

The way I deal with this hasn't been said yet, so I'll share. I also have texture issues with food and drinks. 

For starters- I don't use milk because of the carbs and calories, BUT I can't drink them with water because they're gross to me then. I spent a LOT of time one day reading labels in the dairy section of the store, and ended up with Silk's unsweetened, unflavored soy milk. Adds some extra protein, tastes way better than the water, but it doesn't add the carbs like milk does. 

So then I had bought a fancy shaker bottle with the ball thing in it, which I found took a LOT of shaking, still had clumps, and was a pain to clean out. I used it anyway for a few weeks, until I accidentally left it in my car for a few days with a tiny bit of shake left in the bottom. IT SMELLED SO AWFUL I had to throw it away. There's no coming back from that! I was going to buy another shaker bottle, but the guy I was dating at the time (a body builder who drank protein shakes daily for his workouts) told me that plain old empty plastic water bottles work best. I was skeptical, but I had plenty of empty ones lying around, so I tried it. By God, the boy was right! I was able to get ALL of the clumps out without quite as much shaking (It still took a lot of shaking)!!!! So now I keep my empty water bottles and I use a funnel to get my stuff in them. I drink one each morning for breakfast on the go. I put the stuff in before I leave the house, then shake it at red lights til it's mixed smooth, then drink it! I throw the bottle away after one use so I'll never again have to smell that nasty smell of forgetting to clean it out again! 

I hope that helps! For the record, I use Unjury powder. I have tried GNC's brand and many other store-bought brands, but the flavors were gross to me. 

If you're going to try it wiht the water bottle, make sure the top is sealed properly! :D  I've made THAT mess before! 

shery11ynn
on 3/7/16 10:52 am

I exclusively use Sytrax, mixed only with water. I like the fruit flavors. I did use a shaker with the wire ball inside, but it never fully dissolved. I then bought a Smartshake Slim Shaker cup from Amazon, and it works great. I fill it to the top with water and ice, and before I take each sip I shake it again. The only thing I don't like about it is that I can't trust it not to open up when not being held, so I can't just throw it in my computer bag and go.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/7/16 11:42 am

Magic bullet. Pulse. Then strain the clumps (rarely any). Pour on ice and let it sit in a fridge for 15-30 min. Foam goes away. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Dcgirl
on 3/7/16 1:21 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

This is the only shake I ever have, over 2 years out.  It's perfect in the morning if you like the taste of sweetened coffee.  I mix it with cold water and ice cubes in a blender bottle and shake it - it makes ZERO clumps.  Mmmmm now I will have to have it tomorrow!

Chike Iced Coffee

DanaDenise
on 3/7/16 2:43 pm

Have you tried making it and letting it sit in the fridge for an hour or so?  That may help.  I drink GNC Lean Shake 25...it clumps a little when I make and drink it right away, but that doesn't really bother me. My nutritionist said that whatever powder shake I use, to let it sit in the fridge for an hour or so to help it dissolve.

lykapal
on 3/7/16 2:46 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

I'm like you, the foamy stuff makes me gag. I solved this problem by making my shake at bedtime and leaving it to settle in the fridge overnight. I drink it as a mid morning protein boost. I also don't really care for thick shakes so I recently started using Syntrax. I like the fuzzy navel flavor but I use more water than it calls for because I find it super sweet. It's like drinking juice! And I like the cappuccino flavor, but I make that one with milk. It's also very strong, so I add a couple of tablespoons of cream or coffee mate and it's perfect. 

In the morning when I drink it I just sorta swirl it around to make sure nothing settled.

Eggface
on 3/7/16 5:28 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Use a blender bottle with a wire ball or better yet a blender and then drink out of a travel (sippy style) mug... they will hold back any foam... smaller blenders will give you less foam too... so those single serve nutra-bullets or ninjas.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

aldade
on 3/8/16 2:12 am

I LOVE my shakes.....I was drinking them before the WLS process and find I miss them....however I LOVE the way I make mine.  I use the Soy Delicious unsweetened Coconut Milk.....Muscle Milk Whey-chocolate shake mix-1 scoop and a big scoop of PB2....I mix in a big gallon ziplock a chocolate PB2 and a regular PB2.....shake shake shake in my blender ball....if it is too thick,...which happens...I just add more unsweetened coconut milk and it is 2 meals....I just drink 1/2 and put the other 1/2 in the fridge until later....it works for me!  I have found that my taste buds DEFINATELY changed after surgery so some things that I liked in my shakes before I no longer do.  I have also mixed the dry Muscle milk Chocolate and Vanilla in a big ziplock so it wasn't as sweet and I enjoyed that as well.

seattledeb
on 3/8/16 2:52 am

Blender full of ice.

Some liquid. I used milk.

Coffee flavored protein powder. I used Click. You can also use whatever vanilla or chocolate powder you have around.

Blend it up and drink. No foam and it's like an iced latte.

I don't drink them anymore but that was the only recipe that ever worked for me.

Most Active
Recent Topics