Tips on how to make a protein shake please

Deanna798
on 3/7/16 7:16 am
RNY on 08/04/15

So, I'm not one to drink shakes often. When I was really early out I just drank ready to drink ones because they were easier. Now I'd like to have a shake/drin****assionaly to boost my protein, but I have a confession. I can't make one to save my life. Here is my problem. I want to make them with water, because I don't want the extra calories from milk and I find that milk makes they way too thick for me. I hate putting them in the blender because I feel like they get all foamy, and I don't want to add anything to them. I like the flavor of the Quest powders. So this morning I tried 1 packet of Quest Salted Caramel with 12 oz of water in a shaker. I could not shake it enough to get the clumps out! I had to chew it because it was so clumpy. I tried to squish some clumps with my fingers before drinking it, but in the end I just chugged about 3/4 of it just to get it in.

What am I doing wrong? I have a big issue with texture, so when I mix in a blender it gets too foamy but shaking doesn't really work either. I'd like the option of an occasional shake. Advice please? I wish Quest made ready to drink shakes.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

peachpie
on 3/7/16 7:30 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I'll preface my advice stating i only like my protein shakes with milk. I've tried them with water when I was on clear liquids- and barely drank them cause it was to 'flat' in taste for me. I need the milk!

I don't think the issue is how you make them-- its probably the type of powder you are using. I've only tried two powders since this journey stared. Vitamins Shoppe's brand (Body tech I believe) and Syntrak Nectars. Neither have clumped and mix (shake) out nicely- with water or milk. I never used a blender- just the shaker bottle. When I add PB2- I notice the PB2 doesn't dissolve the same way the Body tech/Syntrax does but I add so little of it I just deal with it. I do have to periodically shake the bottle since it will "settle" if you let it sit- but its definitely not clumpy. 

I stopped using the Body tech brand and now only use the syntrax- and only ever in chocolate truffle. Its like chocolate milk to me. I buy single serve packets to have on hand as needed. My suggestion would be to try a new brand of powder. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Deanna798
on 3/7/16 7:38 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I don't like the flavor of Syntrax. And maybe I need a better shaker because the samples of syntrax I tried clumped too.  Hmmm

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

supershopper
on 3/7/16 7:30 am

quest seems really thick to me.

I've been using gnc wheybolic ones, with 8 oz water and a shaker bottle

then i add in SF torani syrup

sometimes I add SF pudding

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/16 7:30 am

I buy Costcos pre-made shakes. I will sometimes add caramel andy  salt to them. I usually only do them in the morning when I walk. Some mornings I feel gross and do not want to eat.

Quest bars I like them for a snack once in a while. I prefer to eat them than have a shake. 

Deanna798
on 3/7/16 7:36 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I can't eat a whole quest bar.  I get about halfway through one and my pouch starts bubbling, if you know what I mean.  

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/16 7:50 am

They are dense. I do love the brownie ones. I almost wish I never tried them. I have to make it a once in a while thing. 

Eggface
on 3/7/16 5:25 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Make Quest Cookies... 8 cookies per bar (I do 2 as a portion) way better portion control that way. http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2015/07/quest -protein-bar-cookies.html 

:)

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

The Salty Hag
on 3/7/16 7:46 am
RNY on 05/20/13

The foam doesn't bother me, so on the rare occasions I do still make a shake, I use a blender. Maybe you can "defoam" it? ( scoop it off with a spoon or pour it through a finely meshed sieve )

Yyou're using a blender bottle, right? When I used those, I had to shake the hell out of it, but it eventually worked. I always put ice cubes ( 4 or 5 ) in there too...for extra coldness..and I used a sieve to pour it into a glass. Maybe the ice cubes helped the shaking process too, lol.  Worth a try, maybe.

I use unsweetened cashew milk because I just don't like the shakes made with water only. I will take 8 oz of cashew milk, a 1/2 cup of crushed ice, the protein powder, and I always add in a splash or 5 of vanilla extract, even with chocolate shakes-I only really like chocolate, vanilla, or coffee flavored protein powder. My blender has smoothie, milkshake, and icy drink buttons...I always use those ones. I don't mind it being milkshake-esque.

Hope this helps.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

melissasue1982
on 3/7/16 7:53 am
RNY on 04/06/15

I have a shaker bottle, but only use it when I absolutely have to!  I HATE CLUMPS!!  YUCK

So I always use my ninja, I blend the shake up, only for as long as it needs to mix everything.  Then let it **** for a bit before I drink to let the foam go away.

I always use milk though, it just tastes better to me.

HW: 328 Program start weight: 309 SW:275.8 CW: 154.6 (12/14/16)