Surgery at the end of February

CarlRay
on 2/3/17 10:05 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Greetings everyone!  

I started my journey 4 years ago at 391 lbs.  I woke up and just felt awful.  I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.  I was always aching and winded by a flight of stairs.  I had a physical with my doctor anyway, and I tipped the office scale as part of my MTO medical (for CDL) so they had to estimate.  That was so embarassing but it was a huge wake-up call.  With a friend and on my doctor's advice, I started going to a gym, eating better and exercising more.  I got it down to about 360, then injured myself which slowed things a bit.  I climbed a little on the scale, but not back to my heaviest.  To keep it low impact but beneficial, I purchased a good sturdy bike and commuted regardless of weather conditions.  By November of 2015 I had it down to about 335 lbs.  The problem is, that's where it stayed for the longest time.  Now I've whittled it down to 328, but it's slow going.  There doesn't seem to be a medical reason for it, and my lifestyle habits should see it falling.  

At any rate, last July I started the bariatric route.  Being north of 40, and over 300 lbs, the writing was on the wall.  The classes and appointments were all OK, and all medical tests were clear of any indication of problems.  With the way it's all fallen into place flawlessly, I feel as though this is definitely meant to be.  

My surgery is slated for the end of February.  I'm anything but nervous or anxious.  For once I feel a complete peace about something in the medical field after a lifetime of dreading it.  

Someone recently asked me why I am doing this.  Medically speaking, though the health issues that can come up as we age aren't necessarily caused by obesity, obesity does make them more probable, and physically worse for the person, and harder to treat for the medical system.  I'd like to at least mitigate any complications with my health by losing the weight, if I can't avoid the issues altogether.  From a non-medical standpoint, I'd like to be able to go out in public without feeling like I'm being judged.

Proportionally speaking, at 6'-1.5, with a tall-ish torso, I carried the weight more all-over than in any particular area.  I'd still get looks from people, but often people are surprised if they learn my weight.  I'm not sure that makes sense reading it, but I hope so.  I also look forward to what I call little 'stupid things' (because to normal people they aren't a 2nd thought).  Buying a nice suit, fitting into an airplane/arena/stadium seat, not wondering if I'm going to break the bicycle seat or frame, not worrying if I'll fall through the frozen pond (I've done that, hence my aversion to ice fishing).  Honestly, the best non-medical answer I can give is, even if it doesn't affect my quantity of life (though I'm sure it will), it will affect the quality of it.  

As I said, I'm not worried in the least about the surgery itself.  The only things I'm the tiniest bit concerned about are lung blood clots (risk of any surgery) and later on in my recovery, remembering to drink and getting that volume in daily.  The routine will have to just develop I suppose.  

The surgeon and the bariatric clinic have been fantastic so far, very professional and some of the kindest people I've ever met.  I've read a bit on this site, and I can see that the same applies here.  I'm looking forward to tracking my progress here.  

:)

lykapal
on 2/3/17 12:16 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

This resonates with me - I carried the weight more all-over than in any particular area.  I'd still get looks from people, but often people are surprised if they learn my weight.  I'm not sure that makes sense reading it, but I hope so.

Actually most of your post reminds me of me, despite our physical differences. Even the day of surgery, the young woman taking my temp, bp, weight and getting me dressed for surgery said "I can't believe you're about to have gastric bypass, you don't look like you need it at all". I was prepared for negativity, but I didn't expect it at the hospital that morning. She wasn't one of my normal providers, she was loaned to the unit that morning because someone was sick. Still, she made me feel uncomfortable. Not with my decision, something else. I always had this feeling like, I'm such a small person, maybe getting gastric bypass is selfish of me? Like maybe I'm taking a place in my surgeon's schedule that someone much more obese should have taken? I don't know, it's my own insecurity. Anyway, I've never been more sure of any medical decision, this was absolutely the right thing for me. And I have no doubt you feel the same way, so good for you!

I wasn't the least bit nervous for the surgery itself. I was calm when I woke up that morning and almost too relaxed. My husbands fear and nerves affected me a little, but I was more worried for him than me. And for the record, just getting in enough fluid and protein will become your full time job. :) 

Congrats in taking the next step!

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

CarlRay
on 2/3/17 12:57 pm
RNY on 02/28/17

Thanks!  I've got the full support of my immediate family and a select few friends and coworkers.  I've kept it private as much as I can, not because I have a problem with it, but how average normal people in my life (I call them "normies") will offer all sorts of well-intended advice and such, despite never having had to deal with extra weight to this extreme.  Aside from the feeling that not everyone needs to know my business, that "know-it-all" type of conversation would no doubt irritate me.  As I lose 1/3 of me, it'll be obvious to those outside my circle that I'm up to something, but I can have that conversation when it happens.  

In the orientation class, I looked around and realized that I was by far the smallest person there.  That isn't a judgement by any means - just an observation, but I drove home from the clinic wondering if this was truly for me.  It wasn't until later that evening that I re-read the criteria and realized that I was actually a perfect candidate.  I'd been watching the tv shows (600 lb life, etc.) and subconsciously determined incorrectly, that this sort of surgery was for people of that size, and I could never be a candidate.  I'm so grateful that I am because I believe it will save my life and allow me to enjoy my young kids.  

Over time it made more sense to do, but I was unsure at the beginning for a bit.  I realized that, whether 330 lbs or 630 lbs, we are all in the same boat with the same goal.  That made joining this forum fairly easy, despite my initial reservations.  We are all in it together.  

RNY_elizabeth
on 2/3/17 1:28 pm - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Congratulations on making this choice for your health and quality of life.  You will do great. I got lots of "I didn't think you were THAT big" responses when folks heard I was going to have or had RNY.  at 5'4 and 265 I was well within the guidelines for BMI to need the surgery but I "carried it well"...or so people told me.  I honestly think they were being polite but either way it happened and now that I have lost more than half of my former body weight I feel a million times better.  More energy and joy each and every day.  Totally the best thing I have ever done.

Glad you are here.  You will find a ton of on going support.  Your first year is the "golden" time.  Don't waste it.  Consider joining us on the morning menu thread.  It is a great source for me of advise and accountability.  This is not an easy journey and we all need to lean on others who 'get it.'

~Elizabeth

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

julie49011
on 2/3/17 4:36 pm
RNY on 02/15/17

Hi. I'm having RNY on 2/15/17. I always have people say, you're not fat. Whatever. Thanks. 300lbs on me even tho I'm tall is too much. They never guess I weigh as much as I do. I haven't told many people either. I haven't even told my sister. The other "big" people in my life feel like I'm abandoning them. Even my skinny hubby is bummed that I won't be able to keep up with him at the buffet. But, I'm on my mission! Good luck to you. Better to do this now than to end up on my 600# life!!!

CathyV
on 2/3/17 5:10 pm

:) same. I am tallish for a woman at 5'8, and now people are shocked to hear I am nearing 100 pounds lost...because, well, I'm still pretty fat. You can see the mental math going on, you know, as they start to get an inkling of just  how much weight I was carrying around. Congrats though, exciting times ahead!!

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

Most Active