Got my Surgery Date

i_define_me
on 5/9/17 5:12 am
RNY on 06/14/17

I got the call yesterday pre-op appointment is scheduled for 06/15 and surgery is scheduled for 06/27. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time. Was there anything I should know for after surgery? What was the worst part?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/9/17 5:49 am
RNY on 12/31/13

For me, the worst part was all the years I wasted before surgery.

Congrats on your date.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/17 5:57 am

Totally normal to feel nervous. But excited at the same time.

Keep coming for support here. You may not always like what you hear. But the vets do know a lot. They really care also.

Some delete their profile after getting mad about someone reacts to what they posted. Take it with a grain of salt. Also when you read a post it may sound not nice. Read it and think about how the person is saying it.

Emotions run high before and after surgery. It was one of the best things I did for me.

Ask questions. Post your NSVs. Read up and get as much information.

Life is amazing after surgery. When people tell you negative things about it. Just tell them you made the decision and keep it short and sweet. Some will try to tell you horror stories. Trust me there are a few who have had a horrible times. But things happen in life. I still wouldn't change my decision.

Stay around positive people. Clean you cabinets out of any crap. Get your kitchen together.

I am a big list maker. Make a list of things you want to do after surgery. Walking up the stairs was one thing I noticed I could do without thinking I hate stairs.

I have to say there really wasn't a worse part. It was all worth it. I had to have two hernia repairs. But they were a walk in the park.

Getting my tonsils out was the worst surgery.

Best wishes to you.

LynnAlex
on 5/9/17 12:08 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

The date will be here before you know it. I used the month before surgery to eliminate soda and coffee. I also eliminated white carbs and started to work on my problem areas. I still have problems with night tine snacking. I spent hours and hours on this site reading. I don't post much, but I learn something almost every week.

When were getting out of debt, I would listen to Dave Ramsey for 2 hours a day. That was 5 years ago and our lives are still changed. We did modify re-fi the house so we could sell it a later date. We want to follow the grandkids and our daughter may have to transfer out of state. But, my success with .finances, along with the ups and downs has helped me with my weight.

It is a forever thing. You always have to brush your teeth and (excuse me) take a crap. Well, you will always have to be mindful of what you eat.

Much success to you

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

pammieanne
on 5/9/17 12:17 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Congratulations! Being nervous is so normal! And they fact that you're already here, learning things will help you in the long run.

Things to keep in mind after surgery...

• Gas pains HURT... if you get them... so walk, walk, walk... that helps break it down and get out of your system
  • Drinking will be a challenge for a few days/weeks... do it anyway. I don't care if it doesn't taste good. Do it. Add flavoring, drink it ice cold, warm, hot... however your pouch likes it best... but drink!
  • You may not hit protein (or even water) goals at the beginning. Be aware of it, improve daily, but don't lose sleep over it... just drink! Protein can lax for a couple of weeks, it'll be OK... water CANNOT.
  • DON'T be stupid and sneak food before you've been released. I don't care who's cousin's aunt's best friend ate pizza and was fine. DO NOT eat the pizza during your recovery... or the chocolate/ crackers/chips/tacos. Just don't do it.
  • Use this time, the first few months, to honestly work at getting your eating habits changed. Every single person here over 6 months out will tell you it gets HARDER to say no to naughty foods... if you start and succeed at changing your habits, it will only help you. You may still lose weight AT FIRST because of the malabsorption, but that won't last forever.
  • Join the menu post and read people's menus. Specifically concentrate on how long ago their surgery was to compare amounts and ideas. Don't try to eat like someone in maintenance if you're only a month out of surgery.
  • and finally... ENJOY THE RIDE!!!! It's the best ride ever

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

i_define_me
on 5/9/17 12:25 pm
RNY on 06/14/17

Thank you so much!! That really helped. I had my gallbladder out not long after I had my daughter I do remember the gas pains. Yikes.

Kathy S.
on 5/9/17 12:27 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Emiepie
on 5/9/17 5:01 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

Congrats!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

NRGLess
on 5/10/17 12:22 am
RNY on 03/04/17

Hi. I was originally scheduled for 6/5/17. However, someone canceled and I was offered an earlier date of 5/4/17. Of course I jumped on it to get it out the way but didn't realize I would have to start the liquid diet the very next morning. I was only given 6 days advance notice! At first it was okay but as the date neared I struggled. I didn't eat (Thank Hod) and got discharged 4 days ago. Stayed n hospital 2 days. But now although I want to eat or drink as required (blenderized foods) my body won't let me. My mouth is very sore (guessing from the tubes). The smell of my favorite foods now make me nauseous. I pray this just a phase. Everyone is different. I'm sure with a good support team you will do just fine. The pain meds help but soon you will get tired of sleeping all day. Best of luck. Almost tthere

Most Active
Recent Topics