Still fighting low Ferritin levels....

Carrie C.
on 5/9/17 7:08 am - Victoria, TX

I am ISO yall thoughts on dealing with Low Ferritin Levels. I am 9 years post op from my Gastric Bypass RNY, and to this day my ferritin continues to drop. The Hematologist did labs and Ferritin is at a 7 I continue to deal with many of my medical issues as I have Fibromyalgia, Neuropathy, PTTD, Osteoporosis & Post Menopause so I DO NOT know if this low Ferritin level is why i feel sooo bad each day!!!! I am not taking any Hormone replacement either and that may be some of the issue as well...IDK

So, IF anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it!

TIA

Carrie

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/17 7:23 am, edited 5/9/17 12:33 am

Are you taking an iron pill daily? I am also 9 years out and still take a prenatal vitamin daily. (In lieu of normal multi vitamin) This keeps mine up. Also I think the prenatal vitamin has helped me combat thinning hair issues because of biotin and folic acid maybe. I take both iron pill with vitamin c and a prenatal vitamin... 2 hours apart minimum not together.

Carrie C.
on 5/9/17 7:36 am - Victoria, TX

Thank you for your response... I have been placed on several iron pills thru the past years that were given to me by Endocrinologist and these caused major stomach issues. My WLS surgeon put me on a pill that he said is the only one we can absorb. However, I have IBS already so anything that adds to constipation issue will fold me over Ughhh...

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/17 7:47 am

Carrie I am so sorry. sounds tough.

The iron I take is Ferro Sequel. My doctor added when just couple years out and my ferritin was also 7 (low). I started taking and it went up...I slacked a couple times and dropped low again. Now take religiously and ok.

good luck to you.

White Dove
on 5/9/17 7:43 am - Warren, OH

If your Ferritin is 7, you are going to feel terrible until you get that up.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Laura in Texas
on 5/9/17 8:08 am

Many people have to get infusions regularly to keep their ferritin levels up.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/9/17 8:13 am
RNY on 12/31/13

ONE WORD: infusion.

That's the only way to truly get a level that low up. I have just resolved to needing them about every 6 months. Oh, the difference!!

BTW, it doesn't matter how often you take your supplements if you just aren't absorbing them. I take 60 mg. of ferrous fumerate, 50 mg. of carbonyl iron (best if you have digestive issues) and wear the patch. *btw, if you have serious trouble taking iron, consider getting the patch until you can get an infusion

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

stacyrg
on 5/9/17 9:45 am
VSG on 05/12/14

The iron patch was a lifesaver for me. Iron makes me pukey, so I hate taking it . . . I always did, I just hated it. My Dr. gave me the green light for the patch and in 2 months my ferritin level went up almost 60 point. (disclaimer, my ferritin wasn't low but now my number is sitting around 220) The patch is definitely worth a try.

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/17 10:33 am, edited 5/23/17 4:28 am

Are infusions covered by insurance? I was shocked my last yearly appt that my blood work was over $300 after going through insurance

My iron went up but still is considered low side. No one has ever mentioned infusions to me. I am tired often too.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/9/17 11:00 am, edited 5/9/17 4:04 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I have no way of knowing what your insurance covers or does not cover. Mine covers it completely after my deductible is met. You would need to inquire via your insurance or via your hematologist.

Infusions are ordered after quite a bit of testing and an order from a hematologist when it's determined that you are not absorbing iron and your reserve of ferritin is trending down despite multiple other attempts via oral routes.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 261 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 275 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 318 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 276 views