Still fighting low Ferritin levels....

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/17 1:02 pm

Of course, thanks.

I know my doctor sent me to a hematologist about 3 years ago because I kept coming back with a low white blood count... mysteriously went away with my last yearly appt! They could not figure out where came from and eventually after couple years of it said some people normal to have low white blood count! Then low went away!

rocky513
on 5/9/17 9:30 am - WI

You will never be able to bring your ferritin number up with supplements. Many of us simply do not absorb enough iron. I get infusions when my numbers fall below 50. With a ferritin of 7 you must be exhausted. Some of the problems you listed could be caused by the low ferritin. Get your hematologist to prescribe infusions ASAP. You will feel so much better.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Carrie C.
on 5/9/17 9:37 am - Victoria, TX

Thank you for your response! I go to see him this Friday so we shall see

Grim_Traveller
on 5/9/17 10:09 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I just want to second what others have said. Get an order for infusions.

The patch helps some people a great deal, but not all. Heme iron is best absorbed, but is very pricey. Carbonyl is absorbed well, and is inexpensive. Neither one will constipate or xause stomach issues.

Anything with ferrous in the ingredient list, such as ferrous sulfate, ferrous gluconate, etc etc, will be constipating, and can cause stomach upset.

Take 200 mg of vitamin C for every 30 mg of elemental iron. Do not take iron within 2 hours of calcium, dairy, coffee, or tea, or it won't be absorbed.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/17 10:21 am

I will have to look at the carbonyl iron as I do experience constipation at times (use Ferro sequels) you can buy carbonyl iron over the counter in the pharmacy? Any specific brand? Thank you

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/9/17 10:57 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Most of us used to use Sundown Perfect Iron -- it was carbonyl and pretty inexpensive! -- sadly they've discontinued it. Vitamin Lady sold Comfort Iron -- also great -- and there's a FeSol that is carbonyl sold in most drug stores (but it's overpriced.)

Believe it or not, I've found carbonyl iron in local Big Lots stores --

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/17 11:13 am

I will have to look for it when I finish my Ferro sequels ... just bought new box last week 30 or 35 dollars for 100! I am learning so much here. My doctor also never told me not to take NSAID.... I feel like under a rock with not having any support group the past 9 years and never told! Soooo have taken my share of Advil, cold meds like DayQuil and Excedrin all bad! Luckily no ulcers . Coming here really is keeping me on track and taking down regain slow but surely.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 480 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 481 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 325 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 356 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 68 views
Recent Topics