Weight loss right after surgery

QC_Blondie
on 6/2/17 10:53 am
Revision on 05/23/17

good afternoon!

I know everyone is completely different but I just wondered what type of results did everyone see in their first month after surgery.

I am 11 days post op from my conversion to rny due to gerd. I did pretty good with the sleeve and maintaining weight loss till I got very sick last year. (I had regained some, 10-15lbs, but was still very happy with my results, fitness, etc.) then with the sickness and meds I gained 35+ lbs that I'm working to get back off now that I'm recovering!

I know with a revision you don't see loss as quickly as one would had this been my first surgery. I also know that I'm getting into my own head and worrying more than I should right now! The day I came home from the hospital I weighed myself out of curiosity. I had gained 4lbs from all the fluids in the past 24 hours. Not an issue at all I just found it fascinating that IV fluids could make such a difference!

At my 7 day post op I had lost 13lbs, including the 4lbs from fluids. Day 8 I lost another lb but haven't lost anything in the past 2 days. Again I know I'm getting in my own head and psyching myself out!

Im getting at least 50 oz of water in daily, 60 oz protein and since my post op I've added 1 soft meal a day. My first day I did 2oz grits with melted cheese. Then I've done 2oz tuna with 2 teas Greek yogurt or 1 scrambled egg that was almost 2 oz.

so what kind of results did everyone achieve in their first month post op? I just want to make sure I'm on the right path! After everything I went through last year I have been given a second chance and I'm planning on enjoying every minute I can and getting this weight off for good!

Oh and so far no gerd symptoms! I'm still taking 2 of the meds for now. Dr suggested I take them for a few months the. We can see about going off completely!!!

LynnAlex
on 6/2/17 11:45 am
RNY on 08/04/15

You have had WLS in the past, don't weigh yourself daily the first month or so. Did your doctor give you a diet to follow. I can't believe they have you eating tuna within 2 weeks of a major operation. Even though it is your second surgery, it is still a surgery and you have to heal. I know there is a lot of variance in menus, but at almost 2 years out, I feel like I am having a heart attack when I eat tuna. I think it goes down smooth, so I probably only need 2 ozs rather than 3-4 ozs. I have trouble with 3-4 ozs of beef and chicken, but they take a longer time to chew so maybe it slows me down. (On the other hand, I can eat bad carbs till the chickens come home and not get full.)

Track and measure and drink. This is your new forever life. Congratulations on your revision and I'm happy the gerd symptoms are gone!

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

HonestOmnivore
on 6/2/17 11:52 am
RNY on 03/29/17

I was released for tuna after a week. They reminded me to test out what my pouch would like, but the goal at my bariatric center is to get patients onto more substantial protein quickly. I found that I could handle tuna or salmon sashimi better than canned fish. I had sashimi every day of the second week. I would still be eating it if I could afford to :)

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

QC_Blondie
on 6/2/17 12:07 pm
Revision on 05/23/17

Sashimi = yummy!!!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 6/4/17 9:07 am

It's great sashimi and tuna worked for you early out, but I would have been in a world of hurt from both, especially sashimi.

A lot of us don't have the ability to feel how food is settling that early out and didn't realize we had gone one bite too far until it was too late.

Having something rocket back up is painful in those early days.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/4/17 1:41 pm

And... What is worse for a WLS person than overrating? Food poisoning.

Not that a raw fish ever caused food poisoning. Right?

Pucking your guts out when your stitches just starting to heal...priceless...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Oxford Comma Hag
on 6/4/17 4:24 pm

Oh, food poisoning would be hell right after surgery.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

QC_Blondie
on 6/2/17 12:03 pm
Revision on 05/23/17

Yes I have a diet from the dr and dietician. They actually want me to work up to 3 soft meals a day but for now 1 is sufficient. They typically have you do a liquid diet 1-2 weeks depending on your tolerance. Since I left the hospital I have been getting in their requirements for protein and water which is why he let me move on to soft foods. I will stick with soft foods for at least 4 weeks. The tuna was easy. I mashed it as fine as possible, chewed very slowly, took my time and ate it over a 30 minute period like the Dr wants. Knock on wood, i haven't had an issue yet!

I know I'm not supposed to weigh every day. The weight from the medication and illness last year is just driving me bonkers! I'm just excited to be feeling better, happy and back on track! I do know better and need to just go with the flow and stay focused on my water and protein!

fromfattohealthy
on 6/2/17 5:07 pm - Canada

I had my revision from Band to Bypass on May 16. I was on Optifast for 2 weeks and lost 8.9lbs. And since Surgery I have lost 12.6lbs.

I am happy with that loss so far. This week it did slow a lot. I lost 2lbs. But that's okay as I wasn't losing any weight before my surgery despite my efforts.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views