Does anyone else have a hard time giving up "fat clothes"?

z_m14
on 6/10/17 8:54 am
RNY on 07/05/16

I have a lot of clothes that I still wear that are somewhat big on me. I have gotten rid of clothes that I was swimming in, but I still wear clothes that are big but not too big to the point where I'm swimming in them. Many people tell me that I need to get rid of them and only wear my smaller sizes. Why is it so hard to get rid of the "fat" clothes?

ScottAndrews
on 6/10/17 8:59 am
RNY on 03/20/17

I loved getting rid of that first set of clothes but I did keep one outfit just to try on at a later date.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/10/17 9:20 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I had a hard time, too.

Do get rid of them, however.

I sold mine in lots on eBay and made enough to take a family vacation.

There's a commitment in getting rid of them -- it's part of the healing process, too. Additionally, you will look so much better in clothes that fit you well. You deserve to be dressed in things that fit you.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

ScottAndrews
on 6/10/17 3:20 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

You must dress very nice or had a lot of clothes. Maybe both?

My fat clothes weren't worth a dime.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/12/17 1:52 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I wouldn't say that I dressed very nice in the sense that it wasn't as though I had Prada and Channel in my closet. However, I do work in a professional field, and as such, I needed to have clothes that were presentable.

Sadly, super morbidly obese clothes for women are extremely expensive and nearly impossible to find in still good condition used. Therefore, I barely had something listed in a sizes 30/32 or 26/28 than I had multiple bids on things. As the sizes went down, I still sold everything, but truly the biggest sizes were what sold the best.

The irony is that now that I am in weight-typical sizes, I actually do have a lot of designer labeled clothes -- but they sell for a fraction of what I got for average quality SMO sizes. It was disappointing once I was selling all the 14, 12, 10, and 8's -- because I could barely get anything even for large lots of very nice pieces.

However, that's understandable because clothes are appreciably less expensive in smaller sizes. It's really one of the cruel injustices for fat women. I have no idea if it's the same for large men.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Jen M.
on 6/12/17 1:30 pm - Houston, TX
RNY on 11/07/13

I sold a lot of mine on ebay too! I was able to pay off my hospital bills! I had an easier time selling them than I was donating or throwing them away. I guess the idea of "re-homing" perfectly good clothes for a fee was better than tossing them in a black trash bag to be hauled of to who knows where... mentally easier for me to get rid of most of my bigger clothes, but as I continue to go down, I'm having issues getting rid of my comfy clothes that are ginormous but I just love them! But the feeling is refreshing once you rid yourself of the past and move on to a brighter tomorrow.

Patty R.
on 6/10/17 9:23 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

I don't know for sure.

I had lap-band done 11 years ago. Got rid of everything but 1 pair of lycra/denim blend pants. After the band came out and the weight began to rise, these were my go to pants. I had to break down and buy bigger tops when I couldn't possibly squeeze into anything I had. Now that I've had bypass, and down 70 lbs., I am wearing those pants still, with the now way oversized tops. I don't know if they are like some sort of safety blanket?? My mind and what I see in the mirror aren't in sync. When I do wear properly fitting clothes, my family is amazed, but that kinda makes me feel uncomfortable. I guess that I don't trust myself to keep the weight off...

Lap-Band 2007 out 2013 RnY 2016 Age 64 5'6" HW 294 SW 284 LW 214 CW 235.2 goal 199

G. Dean Roye, MD FACS

Patty

Kathy1212
on 6/10/17 9:33 am

I had a very hard time getting rid of most of my big tops. I was fine getting rid of the pants but the tops...very hard. For me I think it's because they were so dang expensive and I'm on a fixed income, lol.

I ended up giving the first batch to my cousin, for her Mom, who is about the size I was when I was started. They have to watch what they spend too, and were so grateful. I was happy the clothes went to someone who will appreciate them, because the fancier tops had only been worn a few times.

I still have more that will have to go soon. I tried wearing some of my old, big T shirts with my new small capris for bike riding and it was so annoying as the wind caught the top and turned it into a sail almost, lol. It kept billowing around me and i was worried I was exposing my girls, lol, so they have to go too.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Kathyjs
on 6/10/17 11:11 am

I kept one pair of pants just to remind myself how far I had come . To this day almost 14 years later I don't buy pants with elastic. Elastic makes me fat! Actually I wouldn't notice a gain if I had pants with elastic. I only weigh once a year now..seriously. I was so obsessed with scale and suffer from depression and a pound would send me spiraling so I tossed it. I now wear pants with a zipper. That's just what works for me

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/17 1:46 pm
RNY on 11/22/16

I had a really hard time! I had clothes from a size 8-22 that I had held on to for years. My basement was full of rubbermaid totes. It was really emotional for me. After I gave them away, it was very freeing and liberating. Why was I holding on?? I gave most of them to my cousin and donated the rest to a womans shelter.

Wearing clothes that fits feels good!!

Most Active