RH strikes again

supershopper
on 11/6/17 11:59 am

one i had it in the grocery store. i almost blacked out before I made it to the bathroom. then i ate meat packet and low carb tortilla and i was fine

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

peachpie
on 11/6/17 12:36 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Thanks everyone for the input. It makes sense why the traditional means of treating RH could be a vicious cycle for us. Paramedics were confused why my Blood sugar didn't raise faster, but it make sense now. They did have me eat my Greek yogurt and berries, so I guess the protein warded off another Crash.

i will try to find what one of the responders suggested. It's sad I know- but having PB crackers on hand is just not a feasible option in my world. I did try a protein bar today, it didn't work.

Thanks everyone.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

NYMom222
on 11/6/17 6:55 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Kind bars are another choice. A balance of protein and carbs. They have smaller size too. I found these Rxkids bars that are good enough sugar and some protein to balance. They don't taste good enough for me to actually eat one as a snack.

I carry glucose tabs now. I personally get disoriented very quick and getting your sugar up is important. It does have to be followed by protein. Sometimes I do carry those PB packs as well. To me they are gross so again not going to accidentally choose to eat them as a snack.

It is a mystery sometimes to me what triggers it because often it is foods I have had many times before... so it is often not just the food- it's what else I've eaten, how long since I ate, etc...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

peachpie
on 11/7/17 5:47 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Kind bars-- those things are awful! No chance I'd be tempted to crack into one of those!

Agreed with the trigger mystery, just when you think you have it figured out it tosses you a curve ball!

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

ScottAndrews
on 11/6/17 12:36 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

RH is like the white whale I can't seem to get a harpoon in. Plain cheerios is about as low sugar/carbs as cereal gets especially when you eat it with zero sugar almond milk but if I have it in the morning it's a problem. If I have it at night not so much. Other things with higher sugar don't give me any problems.

I also read this recently and it didn't really get me any closer to figuring this out...

It's possible to have symptoms that are similar to reactive hypoglycemia without actually having low blood sugar. True reactive hypoglycemia symptoms that are caused by low blood sugar occurring after eating are uncommon. For the majority of people with postprandial symptoms, the actual cause of the symptoms is not clear but may relate to what food was eaten or variations in the timing of the food moving through the stomach and intestinal tract.

sweetpotato1959
on 11/8/17 7:16 pm

Scott, any sudden drop in sugars CAN give same symptom of very low blood sugars.

Yours is probably a fiber/liquid combo, that is what i finally figured out for me..... Nothing but problems when i have any milk type and dry cereal. You are not alone! Reducing serving size of milk might help, as could adding a protein..serving with the cereal.. I chose to opt out of cereal/milk combo's completely. Unless i am sure i need a laxative.(smile)

I only have dry cereals., and for a snack,( in the afternoon)...I'm trying to get much of protein into breakfast..for a firm foundation for the day. 3eggs/bacon/sausage or green chili/one peice of low calorie bread..(one thin slice is half thickness).. or protein shake, +few ounces of milk... with my coffee.

I use only small amounts of milk for those episodes..( total milk intake,1/2 gallon over 10-14 days).after I check to see what my number is...If i am in 65-80 range and get symptoms a 3 ounce of lactose free whole milk(for the fat) and some protein, at least an ounce...is usually my "sweet spot to get it up and maintain"..

If i am very low , anything below 40, then get 5 oz of milk, if avail, if not a hard candy followed with a protein /carb combination.peanut butter and 3 or four saltines..that becomes my snack, for the day. I usually eat 2 meals and a snack daily now. If sugar bottoms it helps to break the meals into half and space them. ditching the carbs... all but essentials in vegeables...

ScottAndrews
on 11/9/17 8:26 am
RNY on 03/20/17

Thanks for the info. I'm still very much in the trial & error phase and any bit of advice is helpful

sweetpotato1959
on 11/9/17 9:01 am

Scott and Peachpie,

Both of you need to know there is hope... after I figured out my trigger amounts of carbs/all carbs, not just simple(both bother me)..My sugar was stabilized for YEARS.(More than 15)

You also need to understand what changes your needs for nutritional elements,( yes I must increase my carbs and protein if i suddenly change my activity level...I try to do 2-ounces of protein and half serving of carbs...2 saltines..and a few peices of jerky...option).

Many times my first indication I will react strongly,... is a sudden increase in heartrate.. since both gastric and heart are bothon vagus nerve, both react...

Use this early clue can give time to get protein and partial serv of CHO to off set the drop.and encourage to make a different choice next time. This is where an actual diet diary works... you can physically look back at amounts and see what you did that your new tools did not tolerate.what works best for you. You are individual and your tolerances will be different in what causes the drop and what "patches" the problem. Good luck in your research!

ScottAndrews
on 11/9/17 10:27 am
RNY on 03/20/17

thanks again sweetpotato.

Who knew that losing all that weight was going to be the super easy part of this process.

Au_Contraire
on 11/6/17 1:35 pm

Peach, that sounds perfectly awful. I hope that you are feeling much better now!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 335 views