Pinching, stabbing pain left side

PNWLIFE68
on 12/20/17 9:54 am
RNY on 12/06/17

I've seen other posts regarding this stabbing. Pinching pain on lower left side, but I'm wondering how long it lasts? Spoke to my doctors office already and they say it is from a stitch (internal). Anyone experience this issue? I had Gastric RNY on 12/6. Taking Oxy for pain.

thanks!

Amy R.
on 12/20/17 10:45 am

You posted about this four days ago. If you are still having pain please call your surgeon. Today.

It may all be legitimate post op healing pain, but they are the ones who would know. I'm worried about you, that the pain has lasted so long.

PNWLIFE68
on 12/20/17 11:28 am
RNY on 12/06/17

That was actually for a different pain, my upper left side, which has subsided. I have contacted my surgeon, as I had mentioned in my post, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this pain and for how long. My doctor said it's very common and they were not too concerned. It's just better to hear from other patients who may be experiencing the same pain, so I can get a better idea of what others felt and how long it took to go away. I was doing great until this, so it's more frustrating than anything.

Amy R.
on 12/20/17 4:38 pm

glad you called your surgeon. I didn't realize you had called him a second time about this pain. And obviously anything I say is just a suggestion but there is a point when someone's pain sounds worrisome.

If your pain pills are effective at dealing with this and your surgeon knows about it, it sounds like a waiting game right now. If it gets worse and not better, if yours symptoms don't lessen or go away with narcotic pain medicine, it's time to think about giving them another call.

Glad you are getting it all figured out.

ScottAndrews
on 12/20/17 2:24 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

2 weeks is a long time to be on pain meds. Especially oxy which is not exactly user friendly. I left the hospital totally off meds and I kinda like drugs.

PNWLIFE68
on 12/20/17 2:39 pm
RNY on 12/06/17

Thanks for your reply. I was doing great the first 10 days or so and I was completely off pain meds after getting home from the hospital. I have only been taking them for a couple of days recently due to this new pain. I was walking a lot, probably over doing it and pulled something. I was used to walking 5-6 miles a day working at my job, so was in decent shape before my surgery. That's why I'm so bummed about this setback. I've seen a lot of other people complain about the same issue, just wanted to know how long it lasted for others. I hate taking pain meds, but no choice. I'm using Tylenol as well, so not taking Oxy too much.

Linda78210
on 12/22/17 12:38 am
RNY on 12/13/17

I'm 9 days post op RNY, I'm experiencing similar pain ro my lower right abdomen which suddenly my started earlier tonight. I did finally go to a store ( BIg Lots) today but that's all I did. It hurts when I stand and walk. Hoping this pain goes away or I'll have to cancel my plans for Saturday (visiting some family). Hope your pain goes away, im still trying to understand what happened to me today.

Porkypeg
on 12/22/17 4:39 pm

I to am 9 days post op. I'm having left side pain..doc says it the CO2. It will eventually absorb. Pain is an understatement! Moving more than I should! Best of luck

Linda78210
on 12/22/17 7:03 pm
RNY on 12/13/17

Well I already released the Co2 pressure I had, but this is actually in the muscle. Doctor gave me a muscle relaxant and it helps along with my binder. My belly apron pulls south on that muscle and boy does it hurt. I've read about other people and their doctors say it's a stitch up in the muscle. What ever it is, I'm pretty sure I pulled it when I opened my freezer drawer (bottom freezer drawer) on my fridge when I went for a popsicle. I don't wish this on anyone! Best of luck to you as well!!

ScottAndrews
on 12/20/17 3:44 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

"Overdoing it" is quite common. Walking is great and I walked my butt off for the last 9 months but I always walked a lot even as a fat guy. Also I did have a pretty wicked back pain for a few months after surgery. I was sleeping on a heating pad for quite some time and I do suggest trying that

Its a pretty big surgery and the holes we see are just the tip of the iceberg. I'm nine months out and there's still days where it's a struggle. I recall asking my surgeon how long till I'm 100% fully healed. He said give it a good year.

Most Active
Recent Topics