Looking for different soup recipes

crazyzee
on 3/27/18 8:38 am
RNY on 10/31/17

Good morning everyone, Hope your all doing great on your weight loss journey. I am 4 days shy of 5 months since surgery. While the weight loss the last month or 2 has been slower, I am still doing pretty good and the inchs on my waist have been dropping even with out losing the lbs. But anyway I am really craving some soups and looking for recipes that work with the post surgery diet. I have made a few batches of chili and lean sausage and green bean soups but really want to try some others. I have been using http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.ca/ page for ideas but I want some more options. Also I'm not sure if posting links is a bad thing in these forums and if so just let me know and I'll remove it.

CJ On Orcas
on 3/27/18 8:49 am
RNY on 09/09/16

Hi there, lot of us here love the Eggface blog and recommend it, so in my opinion that is perfectly fine! You do need to be careful not to post anything that would be an ad or plug for someone.

Soups... at this stage I was trying to move into dense protein, which will keep you fuller longer. If I ever did soup, I drank liquid first because it goes right through. Then I would eat the protein. And I never had room for soup vegetables. Chili, that was another story, but I do not consider that a soup. You might check out the menu thread that Daisydoo2 puts up every morning, but still I do not think you will find many veterans eating soup... there is no room in our pouches after the protein.

You could maybe look up recipes on the internet but I would not bother with anything that is low in protein and has any carbs to speak of. At 5 months I aimed to get 60 grams of protein every day and less than 50 grams of carbs.

crazyzee
on 3/27/18 10:23 am
RNY on 10/31/17

Thanks for the info. I have been on the dense protein part for awhile now I just get a craving for soups at times. Your right chili really isnt a soup like others. To hit my protein goals and still be able to eat I have been doing a Protein drink for about 24-36 grams a day. That's really like water so I dont count it as a meal. The remaining protein I get is either fish,beef, chicken or lean pork and some veg with higher protein like peas, beans, and spinach.

CJ On Orcas
on 3/27/18 10:48 am
RNY on 09/09/16

So you get the idea already ;). If I get a craving for soup, I drink the broth first... then it counts as my liquids for the day. I have always loved homemade chicken soup. Used to make it with dumplings, but now I just use chicken breast and chicken thighs, boneless, celery, onions, carrots, maybe cabbage, bouillon (I love the better than bouillon roasted chicken flavor), and boil for half hour or so.

crazyzee
on 3/27/18 3:47 pm
RNY on 10/31/17

I just had some of that Better then bouillon the other week. That's by far the best stuff compared to other bouillons. This last batch of chicken broth I made was the first time I used just wing tips and veggies to make it. Cause I bought 30 lbs of whole chicken wings for the family and I broke them down into flats and drums for people to have hot wings while I got the tips to make stock. It worked pretty great. Even though I dont get to eat much I still cant pass up a good deal on groceries, lol.

CJ On Orcas
on 3/27/18 6:37 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

You and me both. I can eat a tiny fraction of what I used to eat but it is only recently that I learned to shop that way. I shopped today and literally bought 30 yogurts for myself. Cannot pass up a deal.

artchikk
on 3/27/18 10:04 am
RNY on 02/12/18

I have an amazing high protein soup recipe, and if you make it with just a little broth its kind of almost more like a stew. it's all italian flavors and it's one of my favorites!

1 package lean turkey italian sausage-removed from casings (I get the fit & active ones from Aldi-it comes with 5 sausages)
1 medium-large onion, diced
3 cloves minced garlic
1 can cannelleni beans
4C chopped Kale (you could use spinach if you don't like Kale)
2tbsp tomato paste
2C chicken broth
1C parmesan cheese
1tsp dried thyme

sautee onions and garlic in large soup pot until translucent, add thyme and cook additional 2 mins, add sausage, coo****il browned, then add beans and tomato paste- mix until well incorporated. pour in broth, bring to a simmer and add kale. coo****il Kale is wilted or cooked to desired tenderness. remove from heat, and add parmesan cheese.

this was one of my favorite soups before surgery too... I have not made it yet post op and don't know the specifics of the nutrition facts but since it is mainly meat and beans I am sure it's pretty high in protein. you could even up the protein by using bone broth or adding some unflavored broth or chicken broth flavor protein powder to it.

Amber
RNY 2/12/18
5'4 1/2" tall, HW : 315 lbs, Surgery Wt: 297lbs.
M1: -17.5lbs M2: -11.5lbs M3: -12lbs M4: -13lbs M5: -13lbs M6: -13.5lbs M7: -12lbs M8: -14lbs M9: -10.5lbs M10: -7.75lbs M11: -5.25lbs M12: -4lbs M13: -3lbs M14: -7lbs M15: -2lbs M16: -1lb **made it to goal!**

CW 148

crazyzee
on 3/27/18 10:25 am
RNY on 10/31/17

Thank you for the recipe idea. I have had a soup before very similar to this but with a half cup of cream added but I will have to try this one out soon. Sounds tasty.

catwoman7
on 3/27/18 8:36 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

a used to make a soup like this - I think it's an Italian wedding soup, if I'm not mistaken (well, Italian for sure...)

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Theduffman27
on 3/27/18 10:19 am
VSG on 11/19/14

I saw the subject and thought of the Seinfeld episode with the Soup Nazi - " No Soup for you" ....I have not had soup often enough to comment, but do miss it at times. Chili is a go to for me even at 3 + years out. Eggface is a great resource.

1. Pre- Surgery/ Type 2 Diabetes, High BP and Cholesterol, treated with 6 medications, including Insulin. Post Op- low dose BP med 2022, Mounjaro 10/2023

HW - 299 , Consult day weight - 277, Day of surgery ( 11/19/2014) - 259,LW - 178, GW - 195, CW- 194.2 - reached goal

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views