5 year surgiversary - life is better, but food is still a struggle...

Ashley in Belgium
on 12/18/18 8:04 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I need to hang out on the main boards more - I guess I just don't feel like I have much to contribute anymore besides find what works and keep doing it while allowing for adjustments as you plod along.

I have loved watching you bloom and fall in love with your new way of life along with your awesome partner and kiddos. We've yet to meet up IRL - sucks that it didn't work in Holland- but I know one of these days we will find a spot somewhere in the world and I can not wait to meet the real person behind all the stories and photos and smiles over the past 5 years :)

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Dcgirl
on 12/18/18 9:10 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I can't wait either! I wonder what continent we will meet on

AnneGG
on 12/26/18 6:25 pm

Bless you, please don't ever ever go to thinking you don't have much to contribute. Simply not true.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

karenp8
on 12/18/18 4:25 am - Brighton, IL

Happy surgiversary,Em! Where has the time gone? You are such an inspiration with your honesty and are not alone. I've had to admit too that I am a food addict. My eating is and will continue to be a struggle every single day. At 6 years out I am 8 pounds above where I want my weight to be but headed down--albeit slowly. My problem came when we started traveling and their were stretches of time when I had no internet and couldn't come here daily. There is powerful help in the accountability in coming here and posting my menu because it helps me focus and keeps me weighing and measuring. It keeps me thinking about my choices and making the best ones for me. So congratulations on all your success,Em and keep hanging around here so we can fight this daily battle--together!

Dcgirl
on 12/18/18 5:52 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I hear you, Karen! Coming here, planning my meals, and weighing my portions is a must, I can now see clearly. But look at you - even at 126 lbs you are an incredible inspiration to so many people here. You give advice, you participate in the what are you eating thread, and you always sign off your posts with an inspirational comment. Those weeks you were without internet, people were commenting, "Has anyone heard from Karen? I'm worried about her and I miss her". You have impacted a whole lotta folks on OH I am confident you will keep fighting the daily battle! XO

siberiancat
on 12/18/18 9:39 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Thanks for sharing. I am 9 1/2 years post RNY. I lost below my goal and stayed there for 6 years. I gained a few pounds in year 7 and tried logging my food, counting gms protein, carbs, calories, fat, etc. but just stayed at the same weight. I decided I needed more accountability and in May 2018 I joined Weigh****chers (I've been a lifetime member for 20 years). I've found it easy to eat my bariatric food plan on their point system and love the phone app where I log my food, find restaurant nutritional information, recipes, etc.

I attend every weekly meeting. Knowing I will get on the scales and someone else will track my weight seems to really motivate and encourage me. I've lost the 15 pounds that I gained and am now at my goal weight again. I'm continuing to try to lose to get a few pound below my goal.

This might not work for everyone, but it has been great for me. Staying for the weekly meetings is encouraging and I also see women and men who come back week after week with excuses why they aren't losing and I remember that I always had an excuse or rationalization, too.

Best wishes in getting down to the weight you want.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Dcgirl
on 12/18/18 12:05 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

What an inspiration that you're at goal after 9.5 years! I have heard great things about Weigh****chers. I don't know if we have an in-person meeting close to me, but I can already tell I have more success by planning and weighing and tracking my meals in MyFitnessPal. I love that you are finding motivation and encouragement at your meetings! Way to go!

Kristi T.
on 12/18/18 10:38 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

First and foremost congratulations on your 5 years, you look amazing! Thank you for your post, I needed to see this today. Even though I had the VSG, I always read the RNY posts. Your advice and commitment have been inspirational...thank you!

Dcgirl
on 12/18/18 12:08 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

RNY - VSG - we're all in the same boat here! I figure anyone who needs to have weight loss surgery probably can find something in common with a lot of other people on the boards here :) Thanks for your kind words - I feel less inspirational at this weight, but a few months from now I hope to be in a better spot!

NYMom222
on 12/18/18 11:42 am
RNY on 07/23/14

You look beautiful and are a huge inspiration to me! I know you will get back to exactly where you want to be. Somewhere between years 3 and 5 life hits the fan and you find out what you are made of....

Your honesty is refreshing and Maintenance is not for sissies. It is hard...and yes vigilance required. That is wonderful you are back below 200. That number. It can bring nightmares. :/

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 299 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views