Did you get any new food-related gadgets for Christmas?

Dcgirl
on 1/2/19 6:59 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Good morning and happy new year, everyone!

I was super spoiled at Christmas and got all sorts of kitchen and cooking gadgets and stuff. The kids got me a cupcake maker. Yep, it's like a waffle maker but makes cupcakes. Cupcakes are their favorite and don't tempt me so it's a win win. Kris got me new kitchen knives, a knife sharpener, a popcorn air popper, and an air fryer!!! I am very excited about the air fryer, as I had seen them but never considered one. Well, I have made chicken wings twice already. I just spray the inside with a little Pam, add the wings, cook them at 380 for 25 minutes (shaking the basket periodically) and then 400 for 10+ minutes. They crisp up and taste delicious.

Any air fryer recipes to share with me?

What cool stuff did you get?

Partlypollyanna
on 1/2/19 10:20 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I got all the teas and a really cute insulated 24 oz tea pot to make them in!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Librarian67
on 1/2/19 11:36 am
RNY on 02/28/17

I bought myself a cast iron dutch oven to make a rib eye roast. It turned out great and I certainly will use it again.

I also spent a couple of hours going through my kitchen stuff, reorganizing and taking a good inventory...then I promptly went on Amazon and bought some new cake pans and ladles. I also am "re-gifting" a blender and a couple of other items that we got as wedding gifts...nice, but I'll never use them....

I am also debating about buying a new food dehydrator to make jerky since the one I have and haven't ever used isn't rated for meat.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Mary Gee
on 1/2/19 4:06 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I got a four-slice toaster from my daughter. I try to avoid bread, and when I do have it, it's usually Joseph's low carb pitas. Sometimes I think she's in her own little world....lol.

I do have an air fryer, and use it a lot for all kinds of chicken. I roast whole chickens in it, bbq it with sugar-free sauce, coat it with ground up pork rinds (after spraying it with Pam so rinds adhere to chicken). I also do pork chops and steaks. I do zucchini chips also.

I got my daughter's fiancé a grill mat and meat thermometer for when he bbqs. I got it hoping he would grill more often.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Dcgirl
on 1/2/19 5:15 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

OMG that's so funny...you avoid bread but they know you love it and get you a toaster

I didn't think about putting in a whole small chicken. I will google some recipes. I saw some recipes for thighs. I have some boneless skinless thighs in the freezer. The wings are so good, I am on a roll, I want to make them every week...hopefully I will tire of that since they are pretty high in calories, even without oil!

peachpie
on 1/2/19 4:14 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I got insta pot on Black Friday that I LOVE. I've used it for a lot of things I traditionally cook, and will try to branch out with recipes too.

Our air fryer We only ever use for heat and eat type items (or-fries). I tried chicken once and didn't care for the mess.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Dcgirl
on 1/2/19 5:17 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

We just gave my MIL an InstaPot and I promised to share links to all my recipes. If you have yours handy, definitely comment with them...I can send them her way. She's pretty excited.

Funny side story - she brought it in a large shopping bag as a carry-on leaving here this weekend. And they were taking leftovers with them (they loooove leftovers and hate waste so they always take stuff) so they filled the InstaPot with a frozen ham bone (from our leftover Honey Baked Ham) plus a bag of frozen baked beans and a large bag of leftover fettuccine alfredo. They texted me that TSA searched the InstaPot and asked if they could have the food lol.

Partlypollyanna
on 1/2/19 6:25 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Tell her to google instant pot egg bites - so flexible and tasty!

Jen

Partlypollyanna
on 1/2/19 6:26 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Have you explored the Instant Pot Facebook group? Those people are fanatics. Good recipes though...just don't do notifications from that page, they are prolific.

Jen

NYMom222
on 1/3/19 4:39 am
RNY on 07/23/14

So I got a microwave popcorn maker. Almost looks like a teapot. Works perfectly and doesn't make a huge amount. Win-win.

I own a Dash mini griddle and recently bought the dash mini waffle maker. Makes waffles the size of an eggo waffle. Love love love the mini griddle for making protein pancakes- because it cooks both sides at once so no flipping. Protein pancakes tend to fall apart. You can easily do a single egg in it. I bought the waffle maker well because- waffles but also because I think they freeze better than pancakes for later consumption. Both were less than $10. My go-to protein pancake/waffle recipe is Premier Protein and Carbquik. Easy peasy.

The air fryer- jury still out on this one. Just bought like 2 days ago. So far everything has been meh. I am sure there is a learning curve. Please tell me what brand and size you have. Jury is still out on if I bought the right one.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views