Second surgery

Weighting2Bskinny
on 2/9/19 11:02 am
Y’all, I had gastric bypass 7 years ago. I weighed 374. I got down to 200. Then over the years I got up to 234. Which is almost a total regain. I am going to meet my dr since I haven’t seen him in like 4 years. I am going to discuss a second surgery. I know nothing about if it’s a good thing or what. But I need to get this weight off. Actually I have lost to around 310. But I want to be under 200. So anyways, what do u think my dr will say? Is it too dangerous? I want it so bad!

GOD BLESS YOU            
The Salty Hag
on 2/9/19 2:44 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Revisions only succeed if there's been a failure of the surgery itself. If your regain is due to eating off plan/skipping back into old habits, a revision won't work.

You should see your surgeon and discuss what's been going on. He'll hopefully do an endoscopy on you to see if everything is still intact and working as it should.

If everything is as it should be, you can still lose your regain without a revision. It'll take longer, but it's totally possible. I lost a twenty pound regain by going back to eating hardcore low carb ( less that 30 g of carbs per day ) and weighing and logging my food. I kept my calories at roughly 1100 per day. It took me about 8 months because I'd fart around and eat like crap for a day or two then get back on the horse, but I eventually got it right and lost all of it.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Haley_Martinez
on 2/10/19 7:28 am
RNY on 05/03/18

That last sentence is just....the best lol

27 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - LW: 132.0 - Regain: 165.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

3yearsskinny
on 2/10/19 2:44 am

If you couldnt make the first surgery work for you, what makes you think a 2nd will. The surgery is a tool, and how you work that tool is totally in your hands. This surgery is not a quick fix. If you want to be below 200 then get on track. Stop eating garbage, and start counting & weighing your food. Exercise.

Cris1976
on 2/10/19 5:18 am

Maybe it's best to treat the emotional issues that make you overeat. Is it worth submitting your body to a major new surgery? It may not solve. This forum can help you. We are here with you.

Haley_Martinez
on 2/10/19 7:44 am
RNY on 05/03/18

As others have said, the determining factor about whether or not a revision is appropriate for you is figuring out what caused the regain. If there has been some sort of mechanical failure, you may very well benefit from a revision. But also know that being able to eat more or eat things that you shouldn't eat is not a mechanical failure, it happens to everyone as they get further out. Also, revisions virtually never result in the same level of weight loss as an initial surgery.

So, my recommendation would be when you go to your doctor, ask if there has been a mechanical failure. If he says yes, discuss the possibility of a revision. If he says no, know that a revision wouldn't have done anything significant for you anyway because there was no failure and you still have a just fine functioning tool to loss the regain. Come on here, get support, and you can most defiantly get this weight off regardless of what happens!

27 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - LW: 132.0 - Regain: 165.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

Au_Contraire
on 2/10/19 1:22 pm, edited 2/10/19 5:23 am

First, I'd like to point out that although you regained some weight, you are still less than you were. That is a victory.

Second, as is often said, we've had surgery on our stomachs, not on our brains. It's a struggle for everyone sooner or later. We have all used eating as a coping mechanism, and life will always have its challenges and times of trouble during which we will be tempted to overindulge. Discuss this with your doc. If your tool is determined to still be functional, please consider counseling. Know that you aren't alone. Yes, it's a challenge, but many here have successfully reversed regain, and you can too.

You've received good advice from others on this thread. I wish you much success and happiness. I know you can do this. It's not easy but it is do-able. Please stick around, and participate in the daily menu thread. It helps.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views