Help-everything makes me sick!

MDJD75
on 2/18/19 5:25 pm
RNY on 01/15/19

I had surgery on 1/15 and I'm down 40 pounds. The first few weeks I felt great and had real issues with consuming liquids. Purée foods have been a whole different story. Everything seems to make me sick. I cannot consume puréed meats, fish or mushy veggies. I can only eat about half a soft scrambled egg at a sitting. I'm sick of protein shakes. Basically I'm living off of Danon Greek light n fit and low fat cottage cheese. I'm nauseous all the time and I'm starting to feel hungry. Some days even water with crystal light seems to make me get the foamies and gag. I'm not meeting protein or water goals. Do I need to start worrying? My doctor says not to stress. He thinks my body is telling me to consume less. Anyone else unable to eat much at 5-6 weeks out? Help!!!

MadisonRose
on 2/18/19 8:45 pm
RNY on 01/23/19

You're a little bit further out than I am. This Wednesday will be 4 weeks since surgery for me and yes I'm nauseous all the time. The first couple weeks were great....other than some pain, but I was actually hungry. That third week though I lost my appetite and felt very sick. It's a struggle for me to get any protein and fluids in.

I'm so sick of feeling this way. The zofran they gave me didn't help and only left me with a bad headache. My doctor called me in some phenergan today which seems to help a little. I've been drinking some hot peppermint tea and some broth which is about all I can get down. It's a struggle for sure and I honestly don't know how much longer I can go on feeling this way.

Sorry I don't have any advice or words of wisdom. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I hope you feel better soon!

ShanaC
on 2/19/19 12:19 pm - Cleveland, OH

This Friday makes 4 weeks for me. Mostly everything makes me puke and have foamies/ spit. Even my go to foods sometimes come up (sugar free drinks, greek yogurt, unsweetened apple sauce). Today has been a day. Gatorade Zero & water has stayed down ....so far. I haven't had a protein shake in quite a few days now because they automatically come up before I can even get it down good. I stopped trying the soft foods allowed because I got tired of the hard puking. Luckily I go to the doctor's office tomorrow to see if I have a stricture. Praying for all.

Jan. 22, 2019 had RNY surgery. Please send positive thoughts and prayers my way. Thanks!

Height 5'10" / HW 330 / CW 295

KanataPhil
on 2/20/19 5:30 pm
RNY on 06/28/18

It gets easier. Yu may want to take liquid gravol (although that can make you drowsy). Sip water throughout the day. Dehydration will contrinute to nausea. Greek yogurt and eggs are still on of my go to source for protein. Nothing wrong with that. Good & healthy proteins (I even do egg whites to watch cholesterol). It will get easier. Hang in there but do consult your doctor. We are not medical professionals. You need to make sure they rule out anything being wrong. Best!

RNY 28-Jun-2018, HW 372, SW 318, GW 240, CW 212

Amy R.
on 2/22/19 8:39 am

Just for your frame of reference. My doc didn't allow solid foods until week nine. I would have pretty much been on full liquids when I was a month post-op. It's always ok to go back to a previous stage in your food progression for a bit. You might consider that and maybe even give it a try since your nausea is so severe.

Second. Focus on hydrating and I do mean focus. Set your timer for every ten minutes if you have to and get a least a couple of ounces in each time. It doesn't have to be water. Any fluid counts, but you MUST stay hydrated or you'll feel a whole lot worse than you even do now. And you'll likely earn yourself a trip to the ER. Dehydration can cause all sorts of misery so be obsessive if you have to but get your fluids in.

Lastly, I struggle with nausea as well. A lot. After a billion tests to make sure nothing was physically wrong my doc has prescribed Zofran with a continual refill. I use the sublingual. It sucks to have to take it as often as I do and I wi**** was different. Having said that though I'm glad I have that option available to me, apparently (in what feels like) perpetuity.

Good luck. Remember fluids over food. Hope we hear better news from you in the near future.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 440 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views