Calcium

Cris1976
on 4/5/19 6:47 pm, edited 4/5/19 6:48 pm

Good night,

The doctor prescribed 500 mg of calcium citrate daily. She said that I do not have osteoporosis so it would not be 1500 mg. She argued that citrate accumulates in the veins, heart and overloads the kidneys. Is this guidance correct?

CJ On Orcas
on 4/5/19 7:26 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

No

Cris1976
on 4/5/19 7:28 pm

Thanks.

The argumentatiom about side efects make sense?

momyshaver
on 4/6/19 3:39 am
VSG on 06/28/17

I have not been told what your Dr told you. Was this your bariatric Dr? What I have been told and warned about was what not taking the calcium citrate would do to my body over time after bypass. I will do some more research but until then I really feel it is best to go by the standard guidelines given to most patients after RNY or any type of bypass given what we do know about calcium deficiency. Drinking the daily water requirements may help avoid some issues and I know some health conditions change some things with the kidneys, etc. I am a little confused where this Dr got this information. Is this based on new research or their opinion?

Cris1976
on 4/6/19 6:12 am, edited 4/5/19 11:14 pm

I dont know the sources of information of the doctor. She is the endocrinologist of bariatric team.

NHPOD9
on 4/6/19 4:40 am

The goal is to prevent osteoporosis, not treat it.

Search this site for ASMBS guidelines; they are all over the place. Follow the advice of the experts on bariatric surgery. Many medical professionals are clueless.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Cris1976
on 4/6/19 7:31 am

I know this information, because this I'm surprised about orientations the doctor and exposition about side effects. There are scientific articles about the theme, but sincerily I don't understand what the papers explain about side effects of citrate de calcium.

Partlypollyanna
on 4/6/19 8:29 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I think this is where your own judgement and critical thinking comes into play. Do the research, ask your medical team questions, take the feedback from here and any other sources you trust and then determine what your risk profile is and then act accordingly.

For example, my doctor's feedback is in alignment with what I've been told here but if they raised a concern that taking too much calcium citrate could cause kidney stones or kidney problems, I would know that I have no family history of either issue, have no personal history of either issue and that any new kidney problems would be detected through my regular follow up so I would go with the higher amounts of calcium to prevent osteoporosis in the future.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Cris1976
on 4/6/19 8:43 am

Thanks.

This cirurgy demand many decisions. Inagree with your view point.

Cris1976
on 4/6/19 8:44 am, edited 4/6/19 1:51 am

How is your suplentation diary? Polivitaminic, citrate de calcio, vitamine A (?), Iron, vit. B12, vitamine D...

In Brazil is so dificult! Your information can helpme. Iron, for example, the medician only precribe if my nivels are bad.

The informations of OH helpme when talk with the doctor.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views