Stalled

xjaymox
on 4/29/19 12:12 pm

I had lap band to RNY revision 2 months ago. I have lost about 20 lbs since surgery. The last week, however, I have completely stalled and I have lost nothing. It is driving me crazy. I'm barely eating and losing nothing. Is this normal?

Amy R.
on 4/29/19 12:58 pm

It's completely normal. If you do a search on "stalls" here you'll find more data than you can probably process in one sitting.

Revisions also typically lose less than virgin surgeries but I don't know for sure that includes band removal and such. You can search "revisions" also. And there is a Revision Forum as well as a Lap Band Forum where you might get some feedback as well.

Good Luck finding what you need.

White Dove
on 4/29/19 1:21 pm - Warren, OH

While many revision surgeries result in 20 pounds of weight loss, there is no reason you cannot lose much more. It will be a matter of eating the right amount of calories to lose weight. For the next year or two you will have the advantage of malabsorption to help you. Are you working with a dietitian and logging your food and exercise?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/29/19 2:50 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Stalls happen, and you will not see huge amounts of weight lost every week after the first month or so. Look at your long-term trends; most people lose 1 - 2 lb per week, slow and steady, all the way to goal. Revision patients tend to be even slower than that.

You say that you're "barely eating," but it's possible to eat small portions of inappropriate foods and sabotage your loss. What do you eat in an average day? If you can share a normal menu we can probably help troubleshoot.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

bethmal
on 4/29/19 4:51 pm
RNY on 12/26/17

I'm a band to bypass revision and I have lost 100 pounds! I lost and stalled and lost and stalled. It's really all part of the process. What do you typically eat in a day? That might help us pinpoint where you need to tweak your diet. Join in the daily menu thread for tons of support and food ideas.

You can't measure your achievements with someone else's yardstick!

Revision from lapband to RNY 12/26/17 with Dr. Caitlin Halbert

HW 260 SW 248 CW 154 GW 145

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

kairosgrammy
on 4/30/19 9:09 am
RNY on 10/17/17
On April 29, 2019 at 11:51 PM Pacific Time, bethmal wrote:

I'm a band to bypass revision and I have lost 100 pounds! I lost and stalled and lost and stalled. It's really all part of the process. What do you typically eat in a day? That might help us pinpoint where you need to tweak your diet. Join in the daily menu thread for tons of support and food ideas.

100 lbs is awesome!!! You are doing great.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

xjaymox
on 4/30/19 8:07 am

Thank you, friends! I finally lost 2 pounds this morning. My typical day of eating goes something like this:

Hard boiled egg when I wake up

Medium Coffee with skim milk

1/4 cup cottage cheese mid morning

4 oz protein for lunch (usually chicken or salmon)

1/2 cup veggies for lunch

Cheese stick mid afternoon

Some kind of protein for dinner (last night I had about a 1/2 cup of taco meat with some cheese on it)

Sugar free jello before bed

Also, 4 16 oz bottles of water daily

I have recently reintroduced the iced coffee in the morning. I was trying to go without, but I was struggling. However, I always get skim milk with it. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

kairosgrammy
on 4/30/19 9:08 am
RNY on 10/17/17

Didn't see this. Protein could be a bit higher but it looks about 600ish calories??? I know my clinic recommended between 800 to 1000 calories a day. Water is good but try to drink more, it helps.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

kairosgrammy
on 4/30/19 8:56 am, edited 4/30/19 1:57 am
RNY on 10/17/17

Stalls are a part of the journey. Do not stop eating normally or change what you are eating. If anything, you may not be eating enough. LOL, when I heard I wasn't eating enough at a post op appt, I almost laughed myself silly. Never been told I wasn't eating enough. Stalls happen because your body is adjusting to the changes happening. It's normal in weight loss surgery and just normal weight loss.

If, after a couple of weeks, your stall hasn't broken, do the counter intuitive thing, eat about 100 calories more (healthily). Why? Because your body may be holding on to fat because it thinks you are starving it. Eat a bit more and your body will say, "Oh, she intends to feed me" and it lets loose of the fat. I can't tell you the # of times it's happened to me or heard someone else say, I ate a bunch of crap and I lost weight. I wouldn't recommend eating crap but the reason it happened was because the body perceived it was being fed and let go of the weight. Also look at what you are eating. Too many carbs can cause weight gain and of course processed foods aren't recommended. In fact, I know several surgeons who when asked, how do I stop losing weight, they said eat more carbs.

Edited to add: Oh and revision surgeries do tend to lose weight more slowly although not sure why but I've know a couple who have had revision from lapband to bypass or sleeve and they have lost weight much more slowly and tended to stall a bit more.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views