will I lose weight

Patanna
on 6/22/19 5:37 pm

My surgery was 12/10/18. My highest weight was 260lbs now I weigh 190lbs. I joined the gym last week and my trainer has me doing strength training. She confused me when she said don't feel bad if you don't lose anymore weight. I told her that I had gastric bypass surgery and wanted to get down to my goal weight and she acted like this didn't matter. Should I stop going to the gym? I am really confused

White Dove
on 6/22/19 7:03 pm - Warren, OH

You should continue to lose weight and continue to go to the gym. Your trainer does not understand weight loss surgery. Don't let that stop you from continuing to lose the weight. After RNY there is about 18 months that we call the honeymoon.

Weight loss and maintaining is easy during that time. It gets harder. Get down to your goal and then try to lose another 10, 20 or even 30 pounds to have a cushion for when it gets hard.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Patanna
on 6/22/19 7:13 pm

Thank you, I have been worried. I thought weight loss would be faster if I go to the gym not slow or not at all.

White Dove
on 6/22/19 8:38 pm - Warren, OH

Weight loss will mostly depend on what you eat. I went to the gym the entire time I was losing weight after surgery.

hollykim
on 6/23/19 6:26 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 23, 2019 at 12:37 AM Pacific Time, Patanna wrote:

My surgery was 12/10/18. My highest weight was 260lbs now I weigh 190lbs. I joined the gym last week and my trainer has me doing strength training. She confused me when she said don't feel bad if you don't lose anymore weight. I told her that I had gastric bypass surgery and wanted to get down to my goal weight and she acted like this didn't matter. Should I stop going to the gym? I am really confused

going to the gym is certainly healthy,however it has little to do with weight loss.

I lost 122# and have maintained the loss for 9 years without ANY exercise st all, not then and not now.

weight loss is about what you choose to eat.

White Dove
on 6/23/19 7:19 am - Warren, OH

Many people do stop losing weight when they get into workout programs. That is not us, that is people who did not have the surgery and who increase their eating along with their exercise. You should continue to lose by sticking to low calories.

Patanna
on 6/23/19 7:59 am

thanks guys I am going to keep going and see what happens because it does make me feel better

seattledeb
on 6/23/19 4:42 pm

Many trainers in gyms are not that well educated. Particularly the diet of a post WLS person.

You are going to lose more weight.

Persistence
on 6/23/19 5:38 pm

Hi, sometimes when you exercise you will see a slight increase in weight as muscle weighs more than fat, but you will see a decrease in "body size" as muscle is more compact. The whole idea is to be healthy, live longer, and feel good about our bodies. Keep doing what you are doing and the results will be there. Whether you exercise or not, the weight depends, as another said, only on what you eat.

Bitmoji ImageMaureen

alaskasusan
on 6/25/19 9:47 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

I agree with what Persistance posted. I have been working with a trainer since the year after my surgery (have had 4 now, and the one with whom I've worked with for the past two years is totally awesome). I've definitely gained muscle mass, which is much denser, therefore I look much, much smaller. My weight loss did slow when I hit 150# and I'm sure being 63 doesn't help. But I'm not so worried about the number on the scale at this point. I like being able to bench press 65# and hitting a new dead-lift this week of 165#. Enjoy the process; weight training and working with a trainer is a super idea, as is staying on your eating plan.

Good luck reaching your goals

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 451 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 345 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?