Surgery on 9-4-19

Adam-RNY-Sep04201

on 9/1/19 10:03 am
RNY on 09/04/19

New here. My RNY procedure is scheduled just a few days from now on September 4, 2019. I'm very nervous. Kinda second guessing myself thinking I need one more chance to loose the weight myself without the surgery. In June I first visited the surgeons office and weighed in at 283. I'm 5'10. This past Thursday on my last office visit before surgery, I weighed in at 271. I have been on Very low calorie diet of 800 calories a day. Today I switched to liquids only till surgery day. I just can't seem to get this in my head that I need to get this done and stop worrying about it despite the clear need for it. I'm type two diabetic with an insulin pump, high blood pressure, dead bladder, sleep apnea, AFIB, and a bunch of other crap from being overweight. To complicate things, I have a Nissan that was put in for avid reflux disease over ten years ago. The doctor has to reverse that before he can perform the RNY procedure. My spouse had the RNY procedure in 2006. He lost over 150 pounds and has kept it off. But it was a very bad road. He suffered from three heart attacks within 24 hours of the surgery because he had a bleed that caused his blood levels to go too low triggering the heart attacks. He had to be given blood and a lot of other crap. The doctor did not go back in to fix the bleed rather waited for the body to heal it naturally which took days. So I know this surgery can go wrong real quick. Sorry for rambling, just very very nervous.

bethmal
on 9/1/19 5:44 pm
RNY on 12/26/17

I think everyone here will say they were nervous at one point in the pre-op phase. I wasn't nervous as much as I was ready to get rid of the acid reflux that was slowly killing me. I am sorry your husband had such a bad go at it. It sounds just awful and remember that everyone has a different experience. I firmly believe if you go in with a positive attitude the road is less bumpy. Good luck!

You can't measure your achievements with someone else's yardstick!

Revision from lapband to RNY 12/26/17 with Dr. Caitlin Halbert

HW 260 SW 248 CW 154 GW 145

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

catwoman7
on 9/1/19 7:28 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

nervousness is very common before ANY surgery!

I'm sorry to hear what your husband went through, but keep in mind that is very, very rare. Most of us pull through just fine!!

texan gal
on 9/1/19 8:24 pm
RNY on 02/29/12

The anxiety you're experiencing is very normal because any surgery comes with the potential for complications. But, for most of us, the very real and present negative complications of obesity far outweigh the potential risk of the surgery.

Please remember that the complications your spouse experienced were highly unusual. Most of us make it through the surgery with no complications at all or very minor ones. Were that not the case, almost nobody would have the surgery. Plus, keep in mind that his surgery was 13 years ago. While the basic procedure and outcome is the same, physican's techniques and knowledge have surely improved over time. :-)

Wishing you the best!!

TheWombat
on 9/2/19 5:12 am
VSG on 06/11/18
On September 2, 2019 at 3:24 AM Pacific Time, texan gal wrote:

The anxiety you're experiencing is very normal because any surgery comes with the potential for complications. But, for most of us, the very real and present negative complications of obesity far outweigh the potential risk of the surgery.

Please remember that the complications your spouse experienced were highly unusual. Most of us make it through the surgery with no complications at all or very minor ones. Were that not the case, almost nobody would have the surgery. Plus, keep in mind that his surgery was 13 years ago. While the basic procedure and outcome is the same, physican's techniques and knowledge have surely improved over time. :-)

Wishing you the best!!

"Please remember that the complications your spouse experienced were highly unusual. Most of us make it through the surgery with no complications at all or very minor ones. Were that not the case, almost nobody would have the surgery. Plus, keep in mind that his surgery was 13 years ago. While the basic procedure and outcome is the same, physican's techniques and knowledge have surely improved over time. :-)"

Yes! Well said!

Also, I think it would be a good idea to talk to the surgeon about your fears. They can tell you more about how rare serious complications are, and how techniques have improved over the years. Also, they may want to give you something to calm your nerves the night before surgery.

Kathyjs
on 9/3/19 6:07 am

So MANY of the things you suffer from can be fixed with surgery. Best wishes, you got this !!

Tracywaites
on 9/5/19 8:46 pm

Hi! I'm two weeks post op! Had my surgery August 23! I'm still in pain and extremely tired! However I am twenty pounds down! I think the hardest thing for me was insensitive hospital staff who treated me horribly! My surgeon was a jewel and really cared! I'm off the metformin and atorvastatin! So I wish you the very best! We can do this although eating sucks right now! Craving pickles lol

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 346 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 347 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 292 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 462 views