Almost one year post-op-Foods I cannot eat now!

White Dove
on 1/9/20 12:42 pm - Warren, OH

Rice, potatoes, bread, and cereal are all things that I am perfectly happy living without. I don't eat them and don't want to eat them and never intend to go back to eating them.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Olivia831
on 1/13/20 6:46 am
RNY on 01/21/19

Bread is another hard one for me! Our family has bread with almost every meal but I have to stay away from it mostly. I sneak in a few bites here and there though because breads are my weakness. Not chocolate, not sweets...bread!

Dee_Caprini
on 1/9/20 3:23 pm

Hello! congrats on your weight loss thus far! There were several foods that I was not able to 'keep down' so I just stayed away fro quite some time. there were certain times that I could stomach a small bite and then my pouch had enough. I have really come to understand my "grouchy pouch" (as my 4 year old calls it... when it growls) and typically I try and stay away from any grains, even 12 years out. One thing that i could not stand right away is eggs and red meat (though I could tolerate ground beef just fine). I stepped back and tried again after a couple of years and eggs are perfectly fine for me now and red meat, as long as it's cut small and I chew, chew (and chew some more), I am typically fine. Fats still give me some issues and I only partake in the occasional sweet here and there.

I have found that cooking with protein powders is a lot of fun too and that helps me get my protein intake up. White cheeses are easy on my stomach as well. I have also used cauliflower rice as a great alternative if I am making a skillet meal or even shredded zucchini or edamame noodles cut up small.

I guess we all have picky pouches and some just have an aversion more than others!

Olivia831
on 1/13/20 7:21 am
RNY on 01/21/19

Thank you Dee! It is great to hear from someone who is 12 years post-op. Picky pouches for sure! I have never had a problem with eggs but I am definitely having a problem with red meats. Just the sound of red meat makes me blah...I have never seen edamame noodles before. I wonder if they are available in just about any grocery store? I will have to look for them. I am going to try cooking with protein powders! I have been drinking the Premier Protein shakes on a regular basis and use the Unjury Protein Powder too!

TheWombat
on 1/9/20 5:22 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

If you would like some alternative sources for protein besides meat and protein shakes, you may find this list helpful. (You don't have to be vegan or vegetarian to enjoy these!)

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/protein-for-vegans-vege tarians

Plus some more tips:

1/2 scoop of protein powder in coffee for a "latte"

1/2 scoop of protein powder in oatmeal. I find that vanilla protein powder tastes best for this.

1/2 scoop of protein powder in ho****er with a spoonful of cocoa powder for a decadent hot chocolate drink. Add artificial sweetener to taste. Again, I find that vanilla protein powder tastes best for this. I have this twice a day!

Despite the name, "refried" beans are pretty healthy, and a good way to get some protein.

sweetpotato1959
on 1/12/20 7:27 am

Add to this list :

If you tolerate nuts, Almonds as , butter , flour, or ground. can be substituted for things you do not tolerate... If your carb count or low sugars dictate some carbs( with activity level) consider adding rice flour..It is probably the expansion of partially/under- cooked rice.

One tablespoon peanut butter in coffee,( Mom loved it as early morning protein boost)

High protein pancakes. Make up your own recipe using what you tolerate.. figure the amounts per recipe and divide by number of servings after cooked. use natural stevia for sweetner to avoid increased hunger...that CAN be caused by artificial ones. Freeze left overs for later use. Make a good high protein snack when awaiting a late meal.

Olivia831
on 1/13/20 7:25 am
RNY on 01/21/19

Thank you! That list is a great resource as are your tips. I appreciate you posting. Ohhhh...refried beans! I love them and haven't had any in years...adding them to my shopping list!

Teenie
on 1/9/20 5:27 pm - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

I drank protein shakes for a year and a half. The only reason I stopped was I was not loosing as fast as I wanted to. I still throw protein powder in my overnight oats and some other recipes to pump up protein.
I prefer ground meat over any type. Very few and far between do I eat a chicken breast or steak. However try to put meat in the crockpot and keep it moist and shred it. I do a Mississippi pot roast and crack chicken (both recipes found easily on the web) Congratulations on your success.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

Olivia831
on 1/13/20 7:30 am
RNY on 01/21/19

Thank you Teenie! Cooking in the crockpot is something I want to do more of this year. Before my surgery, I made the Mississippi pot roast several times and it was absolutely delicious and moist. Maybe I can give that a try again.

sweetpotato1959
on 1/13/20 8:15 am

IF you need tender and moist meats FAST, get an instapot...they are an electric pressure cooker and will take a pc of frozen meat from frozen to tender and moist in about an hour....( depends on the size of the meat.)They can be started, make sure operational- sealed and set properly as to venting, and walk away from.. the food can be held hot for up to 12 hours in mine. Perfect to use if will be out much of day and need protein asap after arrival home. veggies to add to a roast can be cooked in an additional 15 min...fully tender.laid on top of the roast after arrival home... YUM

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views