Fitness and Body Composition tests

peachpie
on 2/19/20 2:00 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

So I had some tests today, to test my resting metabolic rate, VO2, and body composition. I had a dexa scan three years ago, but today's test was body impedance, so it's hard to draw comparisons. The tester was very pleased with my skeletal muscle mass, which was way above average. I'm well hydrated, good news there. She discouraged to much emphasis on BMI, and was totally ok with the target weight I have in mind. I like people who don't push their perspectives to heavily. She did caution that my visceral fat level was high and give me tips on how to ice that specific type of fat.

the VO2 test basically tell you what you oxygen intake is like during exercise when at your target heart rate. I came out in the good range- but it showed me how far off my watches estimate of that is, cause that called me excellent. It also tell you the various heat rate targets to know what your body is burning for fuel. Basically to be more effective at burning fat- I need to tone my workouts down a bit. Everything I'm doing is cardio geared towards aerobic/cardio improvements, and I do want to burn a little fat.

the RMR, resting metabolic rate is where I'm going to take a strong step out on faith. my RMR was measured to be 2002 cal/day. So she said to lose, I should try to take in 1600 calories a day. I know the idea of that send many here in a tizzy, but I'm almost 5 years out and newbie standards don't apply anymore. I've only lost 4# with my random guess at works for me, now I'm gonna give science a try. I'm actually relieved cause the guilt/stress I feel always going my arbitrary # calories wasn't helping I'm sure. I'm happy to be able to put more in my lunch bag- it will keep me from searching for snacks when I've blown through my lunch bag by 12 noon. I'll carefully monitor for 8 weeks and see if it's working in my favor.

here goes nothing!

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Emiepie
on 2/19/20 2:19 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

That is a ton of useful information.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Partlypollyanna
on 2/19/20 4:18 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I hope it works and takes some of the stress off you; feeling guilt and stress is never good!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

momyshaver
on 2/20/20 2:41 am
VSG on 06/28/17

I appreciate hearing about these types of tests and how the information is interpreted and applied. Please let us know how things progress for you!

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/20/20 5:06 am

For me personally not only how much I eat but what I eat can determine if I gain or lose weight. Plus what I eat would determine if I get hungry or stay satiated with what I eat.

I.e. 1/2 avocado, 6 oz of cold cuts or roasted chicken, some low carb veggies - and I often can't fini**** all and stay full longer.

But same calories but change avocado to one slice of bread, and I would be looking for more food an hour later.

I need fat and proteins as main fuel to stay satiated.

When I start new program I give it 2 months, but I often reevaluate it after 4 weeks. If I noticed I am gaining at 4 weeks mark, I don't continue. At one time I listen to nutritionist and stayed on her diet for 12 weeks and gained a lot of weight. She was encouraging me to continue telling me my body is just adjusting. I gained 15 lbs total before my friend brought me back to reality and I fired the nutritionist.

Btw : I was and I am very carb sensitive and the nutritionist put me on a vegetarian/vegan diet. Not only I gained weight but I was constantly hungry. My body on carbs doesn't do well.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

peachpie
on 2/22/20 6:08 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

My first thought when I realized I need to eat more calories was that they need to be 'good' calories. Eating 600 donut calories isn't going help, especially know my visceral fats need to come down. I certainly won't be trying to increase carbs- I like the way I eat now in terms of how I incorporate carbs in my diet, I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Interestingly enough- since my thyroid was surgically removed and my hormone level is managed by synthroid- she said as long as I'm taking my medicine and the dosage is the same, I probably won't need my RMR tested again, since my metabolism should be constant. I think menopause can still influence things- but I think I have a few years before that.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/22/20 9:54 am

I probably won?t need my RMR tested again, since my metabolism should be constant

Yea, I call BS on that. So many issues can affect our BMR. The menopause is almost given, but even perimenopause, when our hormones start being unbalanced can affect that. Not only BMR but where the fat gets deposited or what area your body would start using the fats.

Honestly - I personally wouldn't increase my calories. You are doing what you are doing and just maintaining. Unfortunately, IMO, if you increase calories- you m.j may start gaining. I don't t believe in "you are not losing because you eat too little".

Personally, I would keep the same calories but change a few times a week the ratios of proteins- fat- carbs. I really need more carbs when I am active. But when I'm more sedentary, after I make sure I got enough proteins, I try to get most calies from fats.

My body loses the most, even when I don't need to lose, when I change what and how much I eat, letting my body confuse and wonder what and when the calories are coming from.

My biggest challenge when I was working on losing my regain, was finding ways for my body start burning my own fat. Once I found what I needed to do (trials and errors) I was able to lose it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

supershopper
on 2/20/20 8:18 am

I've gotten two caloric/macro numbers 1550 and 1700 and with weight training 3x a week plus more sometimes they said I would lose. The issue I face is consistency...

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

SuMari
on 2/20/20 3:33 pm

This is really helpful and useful information! Thank you for sharing!

You've got this!

Laura in Texas
on 2/21/20 7:18 pm, edited 2/21/20 11:18 am

What did the tester say to do to reduce visceral fat? A friend of mine is trying to reduce hers (my visceral fat is fine- I just need to lower my overal bodyfat %).

I know I lose on average a pound a week on 1500 calories a day. I am currently doing WW but I do track on mfp everyone few days to check my stats there, too.

Keep us posted!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 489 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 344 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 429 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 395 views