In a Long Stall

serra.cherub
on 4/12/21 4:31 pm
RNY on 09/28/14

New here, so HI and HELLO! Had my WLS back in 2014 so about 6.5 years post now. (Wow time flies!). I am 5'2 with a HW 335 and GW 180 with CW 202. Three years ago I had a little one and was actually the smallest I've been after giving birth - 189. Even before getting pregnant I had an issue with hitting a plateau at about 200, and that's where I float now. I've worked out regularly, tried IF, medication AFTER the WLS (Qsymia) and lowered daily calorie intake to 900-1100. All to no avail. I did get an endoscopy to see if my pouch had stretched but all that was said is the lower connection was slightly expanded but nothing extreme.

I am at a total loss. I am a high stress person who emotionally eats - so having the hyper focus on all this enhances the stress... so the cycle happens.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced extremely long stalls and have maybe had somewhat of the same experience? Just feels like I am broken because it isn't working for me. I did lose a large amount the first 18 months but then it just stopped no matter what I do. Any help, feedback, comments or what have you is appreciated.

Sarah

HW 335 - CW 202 - GW 180

White Dove
on 4/13/21 8:41 am, edited 4/13/21 1:42 am - Warren, OH

This has happened to me several times. There is only one way to lose more weight. That is too eat less food. A 202 pound woman is eating around 2000 calories a day. Probably closer to 2500.

Decide what weight you want to be, multiply by 10 and those are the calories you can eat every day.

I maintain 136 on 1400 calories a day. If I eat more, I gain weight. If I eat less, I lose weight.

For every 500 calories a day that you don't eat, you will lose one pound. I lose a pound a week on 900 calories a day. I gain a pound a week on 1900 calories a day.

Buy a digital food scale, track everything you eat and you will see what happens. I do best on high protein, low carb. No bread, cereal, fruit, sugar, rice, or cereals. Lean protein and non-starchy veggies and lots of water. Get as much exercise as you can handle.

If you can get down to 1200 calories a day, you will lose 2 pounds a week. It will take time and work. Once you get used to the diet, you will feel full and content. The surgery helps, but the weight loss has to do with how much you eat.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

serra.cherub
on 4/13/21 8:59 am
RNY on 09/28/14

I definitely appreciate the advice. I do track food intake and am regularly already between 900 to 1100 calories daily and exercise. That's where the frustration comes from because I have been doing this for 3 months now and haven't lost weight or inches. That is where medication management also came from but still nothing.

sweetpotato1959
on 4/17/21 5:07 pm

serra.cherub,

You will have to find your new sweet spot for weight loss. You must change what you are doing if counting calories is not working. You can do this, for yourself. and your precious children...You are worth the effort.

Consider doing a very tight diet diary every day, for a couple of days...... exact measurements. Use a pen and paper so you can go back and look at trends....Assess everything and brain storm what you can do to make little changes...they will be easiest to maintain.

Things to ask self... Are you having cravings.? if so classic symptom of too many carbs.Am I happy where i am and interfering with own loss.? How important is this to ME? What have i not tried.? What was my original plan and what is the best way for me to reconnect with that plan.?

Look at every ingredient in drinks...cut all artificial sweetners..substitute lemon /orange slices in water for drinks. USE pure filtered water..( bottled water contains flouride and chlorine).zero water will work or private well water..

I never count calories.. Only protein and carbs.. I am now 5 ft 4 and have a frame that is borderline between small and medium. surgery was well over 2 decades ago....Just fyi,My surgery was one of the ones RNY was derived from and mine included several other procedures.. it included removal of large portion of large intestine , banding of esophagus and base of pouch ..and my appendix and gall bladder was removed at same time..surgeon did 10 procedures..had other health issues taken care of at same time hernias , cysts,and fibroids.. ..an open abdominal surgery cut from stem to stern..

. current weight in 170 range..need to go back and get another 10 lbs off. so am implementing this once again.. in tight control. I have found i do better and have no cravings when i stick to this .getting 30 grams protein for breakfast.. 10gprotein. for 2 snacks . i usually use a sandwich meat rolled up and 2 or 3 crackers..(.the carbs balance my sugars... if i don't have them i bottom out, with blood sugars dropping to below 50..., i am lactose, nut and legume , soy ,artificial sweetner free... that limits my options.) and 30-40 for a late meal and another snack if needed of heavy protein...

. My rx'd diet was set at 90 Grams protein and 25-50 Gm carbs.the low end of carbs at 20-25 gms carbs- puts me back on track, and that is a day of carbs.. not one meal..

.Consider a very high protein drink that is also low cal, , I have an egg protein am going to check out.. may have to make own with lactose free milk and egg.since i do not tolerate artificial sweetners.

Nor do i count fats.. I eat them to tolerance,..i have a low tolerance.. real fat- no artificial. real butter, real coconut oil. real olive oil,or sunflower oil... Breakfast up to 4 eggs MOST mornings. a thin slice bread for toast. one slice =one serv., and about 1/4 tsp of butter on it.. i use a paper towel to apply skim of coconut or sunflower oil to skillet for eggs. If i do not eat toast my blood sugar falls..too quickly..

Meat ,what ever the rest of family is having modified for my diet restrictions...of intolerances. if i make Tuna mac and cheese for them i have heavy serv of tuna with tablespoon of mac and no cheese.. ( I dip my pasta out before i contaminate it..with cheese, milk,).I skin chicken, do not batter my meat. .eat most of meats first followed with a low carb veggie and few bites of a carb.

we love string beans and eat a ton of them each year. Family does not tolerate nightshades.so tomatoes- low carb choice- most peppers and eggplant are rarely consumed. a hamburger steak served with lettuce in place of bread,a thin slice tomato.

.string beans.. is our default veggie for sides. i alternate using onion powder and mushroom powder in/ with a half tsp of coconut oil.simmer til juices gone..they get sweet.

WATER, pure filtered chloride and flouride free water... lemon in it if you like it helps some people begin weight loss again.. and don't forget to detox your liver, it has to remove the fat.. milk thistle is one of safest things for that...according to endocrinologists.

hollykim
on 4/13/21 7:13 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 12, 2021 at 11:31 PM Pacific Time, serra.cherub wrote:

New here, so HI and HELLO! Had my WLS back in 2014 so about 6.5 years post now. (Wow time flies!). I am 5'2 with a HW 335 and GW 180 with CW 202. Three years ago I had a little one and was actually the smallest I've been after giving birth - 189. Even before getting pregnant I had an issue with hitting a plateau at about 200, and that's where I float now. I've worked out regularly, tried IF, medication AFTER the WLS (Qsymia) and lowered daily calorie intake to 900-1100. All to no avail. I did get an endoscopy to see if my pouch had stretched but all that was said is the lower connection was slightly expanded but nothing extreme.

I am at a total loss. I am a high stress person who emotionally eats - so having the hyper focus on all this enhances the stress... so the cycle happens.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced extremely long stalls and have maybe had somewhat of the same experience? Just feels like I am broken because it isn't working for me. I did lose a large amount the first 18 months but then it just stopped no matter what I do. Any help, feedback, comments or what have you is appreciated.

Sarah

HW 335 - CW 202 - GW 180

this is not a stall. The amount of calories you are eating are a maintenance amount for you.
Many of us can lose unless we are at 600-800 cals a day.
mostly protein, least carbs possible, no rice, oats, wheat products, limited fruit, no sweet potatoes, etc.
whau is a days menu like for you?

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?